Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #131,416 of 153,405
But then Roon would likely be hamstrung with MQA implementation. We want Roon to stay Roon, not become a Tidal 2.0.
Roon currently handles MQA in the best way possible -

Roon_MQA.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #131,417 of 153,405
Im at a bit of a loss here, this is not complaining by any means. I got the Bifrost 1, unpacked it turned it on and let it sit.

My current set up is a Vahalla 2, Modi Multibit with the v2 firmware chip in it and a Eitr. VH sounded ok with the stock tubes, better with a set of NOS GE JAN 6922s that came along with it and honestly dynamite with a set of Russian Vokshod rocket 6N1Ps I got from vivatubes for really, honestly, cheap. I should really probably buy a few more sets just to have on hand.

I added the Bifrost expecting at least it should the same and I could simplify my stack. To my shock so far it actually sounds a little bit worse, maybe worse isn't fair, different may be better but different in a way that I don't think I like. I think I pick up a little bit more information with the BF over the MM but its just a little. What I lose however is with my current set up there is a slight edge to everything and that sounds strange but its hard putting sounds into words. Slightly bright at the top, while still being warm overall?...I know, but not fatiguing.. sparkle? I know another silly word to explain sounds but I really cant explain it. There is good separation of notes and instruments and distinctive starts and stops of notes.

The Bifrost just sort of smooths everything out and takes away that slight edge or sparkle, which some people may like. I prefer the edge myself.

So warm up and break in I know its a thing with multibit DACs and the BF has already gotten better but its not getting the edge back that the MM had yet, but we will see. Ill give it a few more days and I'm really hoping it does because otherwise I really like the BF. I guess though, I was expecting a bigger difference which may have been setting myself up for disappointment since the BF and MM are probably more similar then they are different.

Can someone explain what happens with these things warm up? I know the components need to get to temperature but I swear I heard Mike maybe talking about something the chips had to do, build tables or something? I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Either way I may have found some magic synergy with my current setup, its possible, it happens.

But I really just want to say wow about the Modi Multibit, I mean really I knew it was good but I don't think I really got how good it really was. the fact that they managed to get something that sounds as good as it does, into a box as small as it is and for the price they were/are charging is an achievement.

also as an aside the Eitr really helps it, the MM2s don't need it obviously because they have unison, but the MM sounds fine without it but the Eitr really makes a difference and its all better. I know there is almost zero change of a unison Eitr but it would be really interesting to see how the MM1 sounds through unison considering how good it sounds with the current Eitr which is gen 5 USB I believe.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #131,418 of 153,405
Im at a bit of a loss here, this is not complaining by any means. I got the Bifrost 1, unpacked it turned it on and let it sit.

My current set up is a Vahalla 2, Modi Multibit with the v2 firmware chip in it and a Eitr. VH sounded ok with the stock tubes, better with a set of NOS GE JAN 6922s that came along with it and honestly dynamite with a set of Russian Vokshod rocket 6N1Ps I got from vivatubes for really, honestly, cheap. I should really probably buy a few more sets just to have on hand.

I added the Bifrost expecting at least it should the same and I could simplify my stack. To my shock so far it actually sounds a little bit worse, maybe worse isn't fair, different may be better but different in a way that I don't think I like. I think I pick up a little bit more information with the BF over the MM but its just a little. What I lose however is with my current set up there is a slight edge to everything and that sounds strange but its hard putting sounds into words. Slightly bright at the top, while still being warm overall?...I know, but not fatiguing.. sparkle? I know another silly word to explain sounds but I really cant explain it. There is good separation of notes and instruments and distinctive starts and stops of notes.

The Bifrost just sort of smooths everything out and takes away that slight edge or sparkle, which some people may like. I prefer the edge myself.

So warm up and break in I know its a thing with multibit DACs and the BF has already gotten better but its not getting the edge back that the MM had yet, but we will see. Ill give it a few more days and I'm really hoping it does because otherwise I really like the BF. I guess though, I was expecting a bigger difference which may have been setting myself up for disappointment since the BF and MM are probably more similar then they are different.

Can someone explain what happens with these things warm up? I know the components need to get to temperature but I swear I heard Mike maybe talking about something the chips had to do, build tables or something? I wish I could remember where I saw it.

Either way I may have found some magic synergy with my current setup, its possible, it happens.

But I really just want to say wow about the Modi Multibit, I mean really I knew it was good but I don't think I really got how good it really was. the fact that they managed to get something that sounds as good as it does, into a box as small as it is and for the price they were/are charging is an achievement.

also as an aside the Eitr really helps it, the MM2s don't need it obviously because they have unison, but the MM sounds fine without it but the Eitr really makes a difference and its all better. I know there is almost zero change of a unison Eitr but it would be really interesting to see how the MM1 sounds through unison considering how good it sounds with the current Eitr which is gen 5 USB I believe.
My MB2 here with the Schiit Vali 2+ is just superb.
You should try the Schiit Modius E if you want a bit more 'edge"....
The Modius E here has me smitten all over again...and I never was an ESS fanboy...
Schitt has done some magic here for sure.
Alex

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #131,419 of 153,405
The Modius E here has me smitten all over again...and I never was an ESS fanboy...
Alex

Maybe but honestly I think what I have currently with the MM may be enough, any more and it may start to get a bit harsh

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #131,421 of 153,405
Very nice. After the ocean levels rise and the big one hits California, I expect my grandkids will have a sunset view like that from my Arizona house. :)
Some say the end is near
Some say we'll see Armageddon soon
I certainly hope we will
I sure could use a vacation from this
Learn to swim,
I'll see you down in Arizona bay

~~ Ænema - Tool
:beerchug:

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #131,423 of 153,405

Audio is subjective, which is why hardware alone cannot reliably predict "better" or "worse." It's up to each listener and what sounds good to you may not to me and vice versa. Plus, what sounds good today might not tomorrow depending on subjective factors. Or add enough whiskey and everything sounds good.. Which is why bars often sound better than they should. :)

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #131,424 of 153,405
Before I moved to the UAE I lived in The Hague (Netherlands). My house there was 6 feet under sea level.
Hence 'The Netherlands' !!

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #131,428 of 153,405
Alex
And a Vali 2+ with adapters lets you play with different tube families so 2C51, 6SN7 and 12A*7 get play time. Amazing versatility.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #131,429 of 153,405
My wife is from New Orleans. If you go there, stand on tiptoes, reach your outstretched hand skyward and sea level will be at your fingertips.

but only if you're tall enough.

:beerchug:
JC

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #131,430 of 153,405
And a Vali 2+ with adapters lets you play with different tube families so 2C51, 6SN7 and 12A*7 get play time. Amazing versatility.
I’ve noticed there are at least two others around here that admitted to having two Vali 2+, I’m a third. I spent a year picking up 6sn7’s before buying the Freya OG but have the most fun with them in the Vali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back