Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 22, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #130,921 of 153,473
Yggy GS owners -- I've read a lot of opinions about the original GS, with some folks saying it was a sleeper "best Yggy" and others saying they preferred the A2 upgrade or other flavors. As someone who never owned an OG A1 but now owns an OG A2 and MIB, both of which I love, am I missing out by not having experienced the "OG OG" of the A1? Trying to decide whether to grab a GS2 while they're available.

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #130,922 of 153,473
Yggy GS owners -- I've read a lot of opinions about the original GS, with some folks saying it was a sleeper "best Yggy" and others saying they preferred the A2 upgrade or other flavors. As someone who never owned an OG A1 but now owns an OG A2 and MIB, both of which I love, am I missing out by not having experienced the "OG OG" of the A1? Trying to decide whether to grab a GS2 while they're available.

If you have the extra funds why not? I'd love to hear your thoughts with the GS2!

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #130,923 of 153,473
I have tested the Valhalla 2 from my friend, it is lovely, only the headphone out impedance a little not low enough, and now the last call price is $100 lower, a good deal indeed.....

Fingers crossed that Valhalla 3 will gain Folkvangr's impedance multiplier…

Nov 22, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #130,924 of 153,473
Nov 22, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #130,926 of 153,473
What will happen with the Modi+? Are there plans to do away with it?

I just bought a Hel+ and already have a modi+ magni heretic stack. I definitely prefer an all-in-one unit, just less clutter on the desk and such. The Magni Unity sounds like what I've always wanted. Not sure if worth the upgrade though.

Definitely a good idea though, like the new direction of modular boxes.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #130,927 of 153,473

I just bought a Hel+ and already have a modi+ magni heretic stack. I definitely prefer an all-in-one unit, just less clutter on the desk and such. The Magni Unity sounds like what I've always wanted. Not sure if worth the upgrade though.

Modi+ will stay around--great for people who need more inputs, or optical. There's still a place for stacks.

But, as someone here just said: "Schiit brought the stack into the world...now we're taking it out!"

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 22, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #130,928 of 153,473
Fingers crossed that Valhalla 3 will gain Folkvangr's impedance multiplier…
I too first thought mini-Folkvangr.

Is there enough space to put a DAC card? An OTL with impedance multiplier and onboard DAC.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #130,929 of 153,473
OK, so ignore the ">" sign showing for each. Got it. Thank you.
The ">" sign means the number is a minimum. It will always be better than that under operating conditions and with the continualy variable impedance load due to frequency changes in music. So if you calculate based on the minimum you have worst-case condition.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #130,930 of 153,473
Hey all,

Yggdrasil GS2 is the second version of Yggdrasil "garage sale," reusing the original Analog 1 and Gen 5 USB cards. We found a bunch of both of those, so we're giving you a chance for a semi-used Yggdrasil at a great price. The Analog 1 cards are the only used component; everything else is new. It's a standard Yggdrasil+ with old analog cards and a great price.

Enjoy!

All the best,
Jason
Let's call this what it is... THEFT. I have a DAC that sounds fine and there's always been... "I wonder what one of the Yggy DACs would sound like?"... the good news was they were always expensive enough to make the idea go away. Now. This. So, now I can buy this DAC and get sucked into the "Hmmm, I wonder what that upgrade will sound like?" It's Bovine Scatology. What options do I have now? I have to buy the DAC; otherwise, "Well, I'm definitely *losing money* if I don't buy it now." You might as well be taking $1,800 out of my wallet.

Thanks for nothing, jerk!

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #130,933 of 153,473
@Jason Stoddard, curious if there is an update to Modius in the works?
What I want to know is whether a firmware update can fix modius e regarding the imd hump that schiit solved for modi + and the unity card. I love my modius e within the Asgard 3 modius e stack at my listening station, but I am curious if it’s possible to fix imd hump on modius e without a new pcb. (FWIW I can’t actually hear that there is an imd hump so this is a checking off the boxes kind of fix I’m asking about)

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #130,934 of 153,473

As someone who loves his new Hel+, a Magni Unity with a 9018 DAC card to me sounds better. I won’t be buying it because I JUST bought a Hel+ but if you want my anecdote as someone who owns a Hel+ and has listened to a Magni Unity with dac card, it sounds marginally better imho.

But again, not enough to replace Hel+ from my collection. If I got a Unity with a dac card it would be to send the Hel+ to my office and have the Unity with card at my home office. At the moment, I have no switching out plans though. Hope that helps you consider what you want.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #130,935 of 153,473
Bovine Scatology
I like that phrase and did look it up to make sure it meant what I thought (yes)! I knew I didn't need the GS when I put it in the cart and first thing I did was check the cost to upgrade to a higher model. I'll just save a few more bucks and enjoy my Bifrost 2! Yet...it still calls out to me :heart_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back