Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 5, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #130,052 of 153,399
My system is out of commission during significant home rennovations, and somehow I fell 400+ messages behind on this thread! But I perservered and caught up. Lots of topics to ponder while I wait to set up a couple systems with new arrangements in the coming months.

The above statement by @tin-ear brought back a couple memories I thought I'd share during this down time:
- in the late '70s I attended a few shows at Bill Graham's (Key)stone music venues in the Bay Area. At the Stone on Broadway in SF I remember being annoyed by 2 opening bands separated by very loud house music over the PA system while waiting to see the headliner. Not a moment's peace! Until, my attention was caught by Steely Dan's song Aja. The production of that album and the title track is top quality, and what struck me were the 2 drum breaks by Steve Gadd on that title track heard "at volume". Wow! To this day it remains a reference track for me. When evaluating a system at home, I consider whether it sounds like the instrument(s) are in the room, especially the drum kit.
- in 1985 the Grateful Dead played "20th Anniversary" shows at the Berkeley Greek Theater. Before the Sunday show began, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, the PAs were playing a variety of music, and the crowd chatted to pass the time. Until, there were 4 pairs of guitar tuning notes, a chord, and bam.... Jimi Hendrix Little Wing from Winterland Oct. 12, 1968 filling the whole bowl of the Greek. The crowd stopped what they were doing and listened! That track, including the tuning, appeared on the excellent Jimi Hendrix Concerts (1982) which I believe is out of print, though I think much of the show has since been released. Not sure if they've included the tuning, though.
JGB at The Stone? :smiley_cat:

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #130,053 of 153,399
Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 19.46.33.png
Stephane (who was in some of my previous videos) and I in the depths of Syn today. His cats too.
Really interested to see/hear this review!

I'm so close to selling my Matantz a/v receiver and just send hdmi 4k signal straight to the TV. And getting a much better schiit Dac to send audio to Syn for my 5.1 setup 😁.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #130,054 of 153,399
JGB at The Stone? :smiley_cat:
That was one of them. Jerry was so late my friend (and ride) actually got a refund(!!!) and left the show. Jerry walked right by me with his infamous briefcase on his way backstage. After all that, it didn't strike me as a scintillating performance. I had to be creative getting back to the East Bay after the show, long after BART stopped running.

Nov 6, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #130,055 of 153,399
Really interested to see/hear this review!

I'm so close to selling my Matantz a/v receiver and just send hdmi 4k signal straight to the TV. And getting a much better schiit Dac to send audio to Syn for my 5.1 setup 😁.
I sold an Emotiva XMC-1, and replaced it with the Syn. HDMI from the BluRay (Oppo BDP103) to the Projector. Digital out from the Oppo > Bifrost 2 > Freya+ > Syn then through Lokius to the LR amps, and straight from Syn to the center & surround channels. Syn volume maxxed, so Freya+ holds the master volume for the system Don't miss the XMC.

And Syn sounds way better on music than any surround mode from the XMC and is super easy to adjust for taste. Just a quick turn of one or more of the knobs. No menus, no muss, no fuss.

If a Syn+ comes out, that could sit under the Freya in the same form factor, I'd be all over it.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #130,056 of 153,399
That’s another ‘tick in the box’ for the OG Yggy as far as I am concerned :beyersmile:

The output stage of my Original Yggy A2 is absolutely superb!

For several years, before I bought a Freya S, I used its balanced outputs straight into the balanced inputs of the power amps in my active speakers.

I think it sounded even better this way than with a preamp in the signal chain, despite the Freya S being an excellent design.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #130,057 of 153,399
And that is precisely what makes Schiit different than most 'traditional' audio companies. And that is why I (and many others) are fans.
Yep Nagra prices are not for us schiit-heads I think.

Nov 6, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #130,058 of 153,399
Interesting. My FullaE didn't come with such adapters. It might be a courtesy item tossed into the package before shipment. I'd feel confident using their adapters. You might be right about the pricing thing (I suspect it all adds up). Anyway, that's my 2 cents...
@misterpumpy … I‘m avoiding responsibility (should be ripping up old flooring) and overthinking posts on headfi. Re: adapters offered or opined by Schiit Audio Ltd. For the sake of future reference, here‘s another mention of adapters…{{modified screenshot}}…

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #130,059 of 153,399
I still am lead to believe that the OG exists in this weird space of not measuring good at all, but being like unobtanium for how its all put together? like it exists as more than the sum of its parts. Thus the rapidly inflating costs on its processors. I would be glad to be set straight.
Have you heard one?

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #130,060 of 153,399
Hey guys,

I'm puzzled by a new set of KT88 power tubes I inserted into my integrated amp. They bias correctly at 35ma but don't go below 10-15 ma no matter how far down I turn the bias pots. I don't recall any other set of tubes doing this (and I've run a dozen or more sets of different types through this amp over time, although not in a good while). Does this indicate a weakness (shorter life) in the tubes? Is it possibly an issue with the amp? I do have a new set of EL34s that do bias properly form 0ma up so I'm perplexed by this.

Advise? TIA.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #130,061 of 153,399
In regards to the Valhalla 2, and maybe other tube amps as well, I know its best practice to get matched input and output tubes but really how much of a difference does it really make? Also, can unmatched tubes cause actual damage to the amp, I don't think so myself but I'm not an electrical engineer so I figured id ask anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #130,062 of 153,399
In regards to the Valhalla 2, and maybe other tube amps as well, I know its best practice to get matched input and output tubes but really how much of a difference does it really make?
Unmatched tubes result in gain mismatch between channels. So, yes. You can hear it.

Also, can unmatched tubes cause actual damage to the amp, I don't think so myself but I'm not an electrical engineer so I figured id ask anyway.
Nope, won't cause any damage.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #130,063 of 153,399
That’s another ‘tick in the box’ for the OG Yggy as far as I am concerned :beyersmile:

The output stage of my Original Yggy A2 is absolutely superb!

For several years, before I bought a Freya S, I used its balanced outputs straight into the balanced inputs of the power amps in my active speakers.

I think it sounded even better this way than with a preamp in the signal chain, despite the Freya S being an excellent design.

Agreed. Most of my OPAMP gear has been substantially improved by replacing the OPAMPS with Sparkos discrete OPAMPS, so I'll avoid any OPAMP based gear.

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #130,065 of 153,399
Unmatched tubes result in gain mismatch between channels. So, yes. You can hear it.

How unmatched do they have to be before one would actually be able to hear it?

this is all more or less curiosity and hypotheticals, I'm not trying to argue or anything like that, just kinda wondering how far out of whack can you really get before its stats to sound bad sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back