Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #122,506 of 153,474
Not here, at least not per gallon :sweat_smile:

Just filled up yesterday, Swedish price for diesel is currently at $2.10 per litre, which works out to just under $7.95 per US gallon :tired_face:
2.1 dollar ain't bad. Here in Portugal it is 1.7 dollar US but then average salary is waaaaayyyy lower than in Sweden

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #122,507 of 153,474
Best pizza in San Francisco? Escape From New York Pizza on Haight
Runner-up, but a bit too pricey for what it is: Tony's in North Beach

Best pizza around where I live? Pizza Guys. Not even kidding, it's actually pretty darn near perfect for cardboard box delivery pizza.

Best pizza I've ever had anywhere? The family-owned Tisene in Tisens, South Tyrol, Italy. The place doesn't look like much, but the pizzas and calzones their pizzaiolo makes in their wood-fired oven are truly mind-altering.

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #122,509 of 153,474
Was this you @Ableza ?

PHX.jpeg

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #122,510 of 153,474
Still warm here, in Chandler at the moment

"It's a dry heat" (TM)
My Mom & Dad 'retired' and moved to Chandler from the Midwest. We visited once for the Fourth of July (it's a dry heat :smirk:)

As I recall the soles of my running shoes were ruined on an asphalt parking lot. However, the icing on the cake (or the ice cream on my arm) was literally not being able to 'keep up' with my melting cone on a 100 foot walk back to the air-conditioned car...ugh!

Needless to say, we reverted back to Thanksgiving / Christmas visits.

1690551936054.png

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #122,511 of 153,474
2.1 dollar ain't bad. Here in Portugal it is 1.7 dollar US but then average salary is waaaaayyyy lower than in Sweden
It’s ok, prices have come down from a year ago, worst was in October at $2.7 per litre of diesel.

I use the car as sparingly as I can though, both for economy and environment.
As a plus, that also has the fortunate effect of enabling me to afford more Schiit :relaxed:

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #122,512 of 153,474
Excuse the squarish shape and lack of giant bubbles (spelt doesn't work entirely the same as wheat), but...this is what we usually do for pizza at our house:

IMG_2054.jpg
Preferment. Strong flours like spelt are great for preferment. It's crazy what a difference it makes, especially for taste!

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #122,513 of 153,474
I have no idea what gasoline prices are in my area...
I would love to go electric, but living in an apartment building restricts me as I cannot install solar panels nor any EV charging equipment (and the landlord does not provide any charging spots, either).

I assume they would have issues with me throwing a charging cord from my balcony to the car at the other end of the parking lot some 100 yards away :sweat_smile:

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #122,516 of 153,474
I would love to go electric, but living in an apartment building restricts me as I cannot install solar panels nor any EV charging equipment (and the landlord does not provide any charging spots, either).

I assume they would have issues with me throwing a charging cord from my balcony to the car at the other end of the parking lot some 100 yards away :sweat_smile:
While it is preferable and more economical to charge at home if you can, public charging here in the US is still much less expensive on a per-mile basis than buying gasoline (unless you drive a vehicle that can achieve ~100 MPG).

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #122,517 of 153,474
I was about to recommend a visit to Mader's for you folks headed to Milwaukee, but looking at their website they've done been domesticated American. The food looks nothing like real German food, and their famous list of 100+ biers is not published. When I visited there (many moons ago) they had a challenge to drink one of each bier ... we had to fill out a disclaimer and provide emergency contact information before starting.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #122,518 of 153,474
By the way, all this talk and joking about the heat aside, I really feel sorry for those in areas without air conditioning or who are poor or elderly and have incomes that cause them to "conserve" A/C to save money. For them, this heat is a killer and very dangerous, and as it moves across the country beware that it is nothing to fool with. But for me, I chose to live here and will never again choose to live in a colder climate. The desert is for me. It is not for everyone.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #122,520 of 153,474
The news is reporting that some cacti are dying in Phoenix. Stay cool, Ableza!
Yes. Lack of water. The monsoon rains have finally started (about a month late) so the desert will be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back