Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #114,362 of 153,933
I have one. It's was built by a friend that's big into DYI and Amp Camps.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #114,363 of 153,933
Mar 24, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #114,365 of 153,933
Nothing wrong with a nice AVR. They are nice for watching films at home which is what mine are used for. I also have HEOS so I can listen to music through out the house. I have used the headphone out on occasion and since finding my buried Sennheiser RS185 'phones I can use those to watch a film while others are asleep. I have had my Denon for several years now and it works just fine for my needs. I just gave a Denon to my brother and his wife for the same reasons and they like it too. A younger sister has a new Denon and I am hoping to visit her and her husband soon to help them with it as well as bring them some HEOs speakers that will work seamlessly with it.

So how is HEOS? I have an opportunity to move away from Sonos so am curious. I do have 1 Denon AVR in the house (and see it listed on Marantz AVRs too), but not sure as 1. Its not that great of a user-interface, and 2. Some thread on Reddit seems to question if its still gonna be made in the future. I am a Tidal user for now, which is supported on both Sonos and HEOS. Hate trying to avoid who is gonna be the next Tivo, were best product doesn't win. Tivo, Harmony remotes, etc etc. :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #114,366 of 153,933
It was a freestanding box I bought from my local hi-fi dealer. Probably had a Dolby symbol on the front fascia. Had a separate remote so you could balance the centre/surround volume against your main speakers.
Waaaaaay back, we hooked up rear speakers inverse (out of phase) to a potentiometer to turn the rears "up" or "down" and finally we used the TV itself as the centre channel so we could watch tv and movies before Dolby Receivers existed.

:sunglasses::beerchug::L3000:

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #114,367 of 153,933
Hate trying to avoid who is gonna be the next Tivo, were best product doesn't win. Tivo, Harmony remotes, etc etc. :frowning2:
I still have 3 TiVo boxes in use at home…

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #114,368 of 153,933
I had replay tv 🤦‍♂️ not a great decision on my part.

Mar 24, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #114,369 of 153,933
So how is HEOS? I have an opportunity to move away from Sonos so am curious. I do have 1 Denon AVR in the house (and see it listed on Marantz AVRs too), but not sure as 1. Its not that great of a user-interface, and 2. Some thread on Reddit seems to question if its still gonna be made in the future. I am a Tidal user for now, which is supported on both Sonos and HEOS. Hate trying to avoid who is gonna be the next Tivo, were best product doesn't win. Tivo, Harmony remotes, etc etc. :frowning2:
Proprietary technology. Sonos is the market. It’s like Apple vs Android phones. Sonos being Apple. I can’t say my HEOS is any better fidelity than Sonos.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #114,370 of 153,933
I googled and saw the same reddit conversation that HEOS is being upgraded as Denon Home. Not sure if it's a different system or not. If the conversation is true, Best Buy is de-emphasizing Denon in favor of Sonos. Hmmm.

I too was a serious Sonos user with 6 devices and got burned with half them couldn't be upgraded to the V2 platform... Everything still worked, but ended up with 2 Sonos systems as a result. That pushed me away.

Not sure I made the rational choice, but purchased the Bluesound Node (the new ones) last year and haven't looked back. Have to say the Node sounds much better overall. My Yggdrasil likes it more too. (no Buy Better Gear light!)

The Bluesound controller app has a couple of annoying UI traits, but does work.

Mar 24, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #114,372 of 153,933
Not sure I made the rational choice, but purchased the Bluesound Node (the new ones) last year and haven't looked back. Have to say the Node sounds much better overall. My Yggdrasil likes it more too. (no Buy Better Gear light!)

When I was lamenting that the NAD CS1 didn't have USB, it's likely because the Node does. They're closely priced. Lenbrook doesn't want to cannibalise Node sales. If you want USB, you go up-market and purchase a Node. Solid product.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #114,374 of 153,933
Fletcher-Munson and l were well acquainted in the 80s when I lived in an apartment with paper thin walls. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back