Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 17, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #113,536 of 154,810
All this talk of new stuff....how about some vintage cardboard? My first piece of decent audio gear, circa 1977.

Getting the last pieces of audio gear packed up for the move. May have to reluctantly give my wife's equipment criticism some credence (silently)....I'm at over 100 boxes and still not done. That doesn't include the tubes. 🤣

HK 730 Box.jpg
I would happily relieve you of some of worries about too much equipment or too many tubes. Have truck, will travel.

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #113,537 of 154,810
Hey Axiom Audio! A piece of Canadiana action there! :beerchug: Toured the facility a few years back. Great folks.
They are good people. Those were the (vintage) M80's safely packed up. Have a pair of M3's (and subwoofer) for the TV system. But somehow the boxes for them have disappeared. This is pretty distressing and I'm perplexed as to what to do now. Probably have to cancel the move. :laughing:

Axiom M3's.jpg

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #113,538 of 154,810
Ahh yes Karman | Hardon gear - fond memories
LOL! Back in the day, the Pioneer and Kenwood fanboys called it Hard-on Cardboard. Maybe I subconsciously liked it because of that rather than the sound quality, and just didn't know it yet? :laughing:

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #113,539 of 154,810
I would happily relieve you of some of worries about too much equipment or too many tubes. Have truck, will travel.
No charge? You are most gracious and generous, Sam! 🤣

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #113,540 of 154,810
I love my Schiit amps (isn't that a reason why we hang out here?). I've moved the Magni3+ down into my basement work office and pair it with the HD 650 headphones. What a perfect combo - great sound to ease me through the work day. I didn't give the Magni the love it deserved upstairs because of my other amps, and I'll move the Vali2++ down there as well. Given that most of my days are spent in that room, it makes sense to build a nice stack. I'll add a Schiit DAC there sometime this year and put the Aoshida/Dilvpoetry frankenDAC in storage for a while. I'm also slowly building my budget audiophile headphone collection, which is the point of this post. Z Reviews, whose opinions I trust, reviewed a US$129 headphone that he says is the equivalent of the Meze 109 Pro's (US$799) with a recommended pad-swap: the phones are the Linsoul Thieaudio Ghost. I'll be ordering a pair of these as soon as they show up as available at Amazon.ca Has anyone here bought these?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #113,541 of 154,810
But you know, no matter the reality, when people want MQA, DSD and Tidal, and you don't give it to them, it's just one more reason they won't buy what you have. It doesn't take that much more to give it to them. So who loses?

"Be memorable—this isn’t about getting everyone to like you, this is about getting some people to love you." -- Jason Stoddard

The trials, tribulations and reasonings of Schiit on Loki and DSD has been written of extensively in this blog, and I will not belabour them here. Though if anyone is interested in Jason and Mike's views on the subjects, there is a search option. I will simply mention that there are many other companies/competitors that have decided to support MQA, DSD & Tidal in their products and If someone feels that they may be better served with those products, I'm sure Jason & Mike will feel no hardship if a customer decides that the way of the Schiit is not for them, and they shall seek audio nirvana elsewhere.

Not everyone has to follow the same path.

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #113,542 of 154,810
Rack for mid size Schiit gear found here Ali . I ordered item B, you have to click on each item to get the dimensions. Ordered on 2/21, shipped from China and arrived in CT on 3/11. Pic:
Thanks, that looks like it will work!

Are the shelves made of aluminum as the rather paltry description seems to suggest?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #113,543 of 154,810
Pretty good looking but not enough vertical space (2.6") for heat dissipation, as is the case for all of the desktop racks I've seen. I'd really like to find ones that work well with the 9" wide Schiit gear as I've now got 6 pieces (in two setups) in that format.
Another option is to blatantly steal someone else's** idea and make your own. 🤣

** Not saying who so I don't get @Paladin79 in trouble

Schiit Rack Rev A 1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #113,546 of 154,810
...needs an umlaut. But then, to me, every word needs an umlaut, if for no other reason so I can say, "umlaut".

Do tell?

edit ... just found out the IATA code for Corpus Christi is CRP
Holy Sacred Cow! The next piece of Schiit I order, I'll specify air freight for it so I can get a CRP sticker on my Schiit box. I'll also add a roll of Schiit paper to my order so I can buff the CRP sticker off after delivery.

...... and Charlotte is CLT. Technically, the IATA designation is KCRP IIRC.
A four-character airport code?

Pretty good looking but not enough vertical space (2.6") for heat dissipation, as is the case for all of the desktop racks I've seen. I'd really like to find ones that work well with the 9" wide Schiit gear as I've now got 6 pieces (in two setups) in that format.
I'll bet you can get a good deal from Schiit for surplus holes they didn't use on the Bifrost and Gungnir cases.

Balance control would be too easy. Separate left and right volume. 😉

* That should drive the OCD totally insane!
To qualify as bonkers the new product needs dual stereo volume controls: one "Sys" pot and one "Freya" pot, with a selector switch, to allow owners to judge the difference between entry-level and high-end volume controls.

Rekkr and Aegir - the size difference somehow looks larger when you see them in real life.
Rekkr vs Aegir.jpg
Funny, the Rekkr makes the Aegir look like a big amp...

LOL! Back in the day, the Pioneer and Kenwood fanboys called it Hard-on Cardboard. Maybe I subconsciously liked it because of that rather than the sound quality, and just didn't know it yet? :laughing:
That, of course, was because Harmon Kardon gear was solidly built and heavy and the boxes were often roughed up in shipment, right?

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #113,547 of 154,810
Well my Dallas visit has just been extended by work for two weeks, so now I have me a dilemma - as the Corpus Schiitr meet is within my reach....
I now need to convince the work boss that I'm not vacationing if I do this. :thinking:

For those in the know around here, I assume the easiest option is for me to fly down from DFW or Love Field, stay the night close by and fly back the next day.
Fly? It is only a 6ish hour drive (or less if you drive like me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back