Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #111,751 of 153,934
I do not have the contacts I once did, being retired and all. I can talk to guys at Indy Audio. If I am in Virginia when the get together happens I would try to stop down. I could most likely donate a pair of mini radials and possibly a headphone stand or two once I get busy building those. Maybe some nice interconnect cables as well. Maybe Cowen could bring his Incubus amp if there is beer and bar-b-cue. It is the prettiest one in existence, till I build my last one. :ksc75smile:

83F6912E-56E9-4765-BD6A-92851AAEBCC9.jpeg
I'll be in Atlanta by then, but I'll still try and make it especially if it's in the western part of the state (Charlotte, Asheville, etc).

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #111,752 of 153,934
I have the remnants of a lifetime in electronics in my shop

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-warehouse.jpg

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #111,753 of 153,934
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #111,754 of 153,934
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #111,755 of 153,934
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #111,756 of 153,934
Looks like 2 different speakers for each amp, so 4 monitors or mini-monitors
That didn't answer the question. What models are they?

I recognize one with the Rekkr as Celestion SL6. Only 82dB sensitivity, probably not a good match. It was also used as a prop in a previous photo.

rekkr-insitu-black.jpg
loki%20max%20insitu%201920.jpg

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #111,757 of 153,934
I just made a startling discovery (apologies if this is common knowledge). There’s a Qobuz app on Samsung Smart TV’s.
This opens a whole new world of possibilities for small, high quality American made audio equipment. It also finally gives televisions everywhere something useful to do.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #111,758 of 153,934
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #111,759 of 153,934
I'll be in Atlanta by then, but I'll still try and make it especially if it's in the western part of the state (Charlotte, Asheville, etc).
Near a major airport may be a good plan.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #111,760 of 153,934
If you read the NYT you may be ahead of me. If not, check out their jazz recommend for this week:

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 6.14.07 PM.png
Then try and convince me that it's NOT Miles Davis playing on the first few tracks!!
Thanks for the great recommendation, enjoying it right now.

Your assessment about sounding like Miles is also spot on.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #111,761 of 153,934
I saw the sign of other cats🤪.

I have the remnants of a lifetime in electronics in my shop so if I can give someone a cable, or a few parts I do it. There are several people on here whom I would do most anything for and you are now one of them, within reason.😁
I feel like I've just been knighted. Of course the sword would be made from the finest @bcowen cardboard. And the jewels on the hilt would be tubes. I am most honored sir.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #111,762 of 153,934
Maybe closer to 30? I bought a Theta from Randy at their first store (Western Blvd) around 1991 IIRC. They have a store near Charlotte now too, but it's heavily home theater oriented.

I just made a startling discovery (apologies if this is common knowledge). There’s a Qobuz app on Samsung Smart TV’s.
This opens a whole new world of possibilities for small, high quality American made audio equipment. It also finally gives televisions everywhere something useful to do.

Yes, the Qobuz Smart TV app is great, but first, confirm what happens to sound volume control if you connect a DAC to your TV. On my relatively new 65" Samsung, Toslink was my only option out, and if you Toslink to a DAC, you can no longer use the TV remote to control the volume (it's a Samsung limitation). You have to control volume through the DAC (or another preamp), and the smaller Schiit DACs typically don't have a remote. Fortunately, my TV speakers are Audioengine (active with amp) that have a volume remote. Soooooo much better than a soundbar! Note: BTW, Samsung's default setup for sound protocol is Dolby Digital, NOT PCM, so you'll have to go into settings to make the DAC work regardless of how you connect it to the DAC. Enjoy!

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #111,763 of 153,934
Feb 25, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #111,764 of 153,934
Yes, the Qobuz Smart TV app is great, but first, confirm what happens to sound volume control if you connect a DAC to your TV. On my relatively new 65" Samsung, Toslink was my only option out, and if you Toslink to a DAC, you can no longer use the TV remote to control the volume (it's a Samsung limitation). You have to control volume through the DAC (or another preamp), and the smaller Schiit DACs typically don't have a remote. Fortunately, my TV speakers are Audioengine (active with amp) that have a volume remote. Soooooo much better than a soundbar! Note: BTW, Samsung's default setup for sound protocol is Dolby Digital, NOT PCM, so you'll have to go into settings to make the DAC work regardless of how you connect it to the DAC. Enjoy!
Anytime you send the output straight to a DAC, the signal is fixed full scale to the RCA outs Unless it has some sort of attenuator. So some sort of preamp is also needed (Sys is $49, but no remote control). No analog out from the TV, I think mine has HDMI as well as Toslink, but that doesn’t solve anything.
If anyone is listening, adding a volume pot and remote to the Modi+ and Modius would solve a lot of hassles for this use case. You can call it the Modi R.

edit, looking at my Bifrost remote, it can mute the output but not attenuate it. I wonder if a volume pot would even be necessary if remote functions could be added.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back