Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 14, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #60,661 of 154,809
Jun 14, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #60,662 of 154,809
:thumbsup: Goes completely against the ethos of the company. It wouldn't be a Schiit product.
Indeed! Here is a proper Schiit VU meter:

Capture.JPG

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #60,666 of 154,809
For knob visibility, I just put the tip of a Sharpie into the little divot on the volume knob and give a little twist to make sure the ink gets the whole divot. If I ever sell the thing (fat chance…), it’ll come right off.

Or just have the power indicator show through the the knob where the indicator is, would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. It would take a little engineering, but it could be done doing something like light piping etc...

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #60,667 of 154,809
Or just have the power indicator show through the the knob where the indicator is, would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. It would take a little engineering, but it could be done doing something like light piping etc...

or, on the higher tiered (more expensive models) have a color changing power led that tracks the volume pot setting, which would still maintain the minimalist design aesthetic. yes, I know that some competitor's products known for "bells and whistles" have this feature.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #60,668 of 154,809
Speaking of USB connected DACs, ¿does anyone know if M series Fiio DAPs are able to feed Schiit DACs thru an USB connection?

No. The M series has a SPIDF adapter that plugs into its 3.5mm jack to connect to an external DAC. No need for USB conversion.

Jun 15, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #60,671 of 154,809
As much as having more watts does.

And this one provides both .... and just connects in parallel with your speakers.
I have one. Bought it new in the late 80's so it s a bit beaten up, but still works perfectly. I have it on a list to one day make a new case for it.
You might be surprised if you can get one how feww watts you are really using :)

APM100.jpg

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #60,672 of 154,809
re VU meters: contact ORT's relatives and see if they would make you a deal.

Ooof, c'mon now, I think that's a bit uncouth.

Let's have some respect for departed brothers in arms. We needn't be vultures.

Edit - it is possible I took the comment the wrong way, this being the internet and all. As usual it's not what was said, but how it was said (and how it was perceived).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #60,674 of 154,809
Does having a VU meter improve the sound of an amp?
:)
No, but it might help you avoid some situations where your system doesn't sound right. Schiit has a very minimalist design ethos, so a multi-colored LED for signal is probably the most they would want to do:
Off = No Signal
Yellow = Lower signal
Green = Good Range
Red = Overload.

That said, I see no reason to change any Schiit product as a VU meter can be inserted in the signal chain when required.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:55 AM Post #60,675 of 154,809
No. The M series has a SPIDF adapter that plugs into its 3.5mm jack to connect to an external DAC. No need for USB conversion.
Thanks for your answer. Being a budget model, the M6 hasn’t got a coaxial output, so the only digital output is USB. I’m thinking about a stack with Modius + Asgard 3, using the M6 as a source (a computer is not practical in this case).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back