Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #56,506 of 154,255
One small thing with product archives is that there are changes in how things are measured and speced for even current things. I commented earlier about the change in Valhalla 2 specs. If you look here via wayback machine, it is listed as 800 mV and 450 mV for 300 and 600 ohms respectively. The current page lists it as 300 mV and 340 mV at less than 10% THD for 300 and 600 ohm respectively. The addition of the THD info probably means that it can go up to the original values but the THD will be terrible. Highlighting these on the site might lead to questions/headaches. I am pretty sure my manual for the Valhalla 2 had numbers different from both, but were closer to the first (bought mine in... 2017).
Wow, those are awful distortion spec's aren't they? I've had a valhalla 1 for almost 10 years (my first schiit purchase) and my senn hd600/650/800 sound good out of the it, i think:thinking: I don't think I would have bought the amp if I'd seen those spec's instead of the original spec's.

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #56,507 of 154,255
A word of advice to Yggdrasil owners upgrading to Unison USB: if you make a stupid mistake like I just did with the (complete PITA more so than the 5,436 4-40 screws that hold the case together) ribbon cable that connects to the front display, and you stupidly miss an entire row of pins when fumbling with your too-large hands to get it back in place, the Yggdrasil will power up normally but you will not be able to select the USB input. This will, of course and completely logically, make you think that OHMYGOD the brand new release-version Unison card is bad when in fact it is operator error. Don't be silly LIKE ME and reach out to Schiit for help when in fact it is a mistake made by you. Just calmly remove the 5,436 screws for the twentieth time and properly install the ribbon connector, perhaps using a flashlight to see that it is fully and properly engaged, and then reassemble the Yggdrasil.

It works like a charm when you put it together properly. Trust me, I know. :owl:

This is why I would have sent my DAC back regardless ( I have gumby and HAD to, but I would have). It cost me an extra $125 with me paying to ship the DAC out, but 1- it will be done by professionals and 2- 2 more year warranty. (Plus I'm told I'm ham hands).

That being said, If I remember right you have an ultraRendu, does Unison make a difference with such a high quality source?

Jan 31, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #56,508 of 154,255
This is why I would have sent my DAC back regardless ( I have gumby and HAD to, but I would have). It cost me an extra $125 with me paying to ship the DAC out, but 1- it will be done by professionals and 2- 2 more year warranty. (Plus I'm told I'm ham hands).

That being said, If I remember right you have an ultraRendu, does Unison make a difference with such a high quality source?
Absolutely. I have posted my impressions before, but bottom line is Unison is quieter, more dynamic, and has better clarity. A very worthy upgrade.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #56,509 of 154,255
A word of advice to Yggdrasil owners upgrading to Unison USB: if you make a stupid mistake like I just did with the (complete PITA more so than the 5,436 4-40 screws that hold the case together) ribbon cable that connects to the front display, and you stupidly miss an entire row of pins when fumbling with your too-large hands to get it back in place, the Yggdrasil will power up normally but you will not be able to select the USB input. This will, of course and completely logically, make you think that OHMYGOD the brand new release-version Unison card is bad when in fact it is operator error. Don't be silly LIKE ME and reach out to Schiit for help when in fact it is a mistake made by you. Just calmly remove the 5,436 screws for the twentieth time and properly install the ribbon connector, perhaps using a flashlight to see that it is fully and properly engaged, and then reassemble the Yggdrasil.

It works like a charm when you put it together properly. Trust me, I know. :owl:

I was, for curiosity, looking at a thread dealing with disassembly / re-assembly of the Yggdrasil, and it occurred to me that someone might mis-align the front panel two row connector by either a whole row or pair of pins. Glad it didn't result in letting out the magic smoke.

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #56,510 of 154,255
I was, for curiosity, looking at a thread dealing with disassembly / re-assembly of the Yggdrasil, and it occurred to me that someone might mis-align the front panel two row connector by either a whole row or pair of pins. Glad it didn't result in letting out the magic smoke.
I've taken it apart and put it back together at least 25 times... this was the first time I made this mistake. But I do really dislike that connector...

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #56,514 of 154,255

I learned this trick when taking apart my old Bifrost to do the 4490 upgrade. Take your cell phone, and take some photos of the pins before you try to seat them. Make sure flash is on. Take the photos from 3-4 angles. Zoom in the photos to inspect your handiwork.

Saves some headache, and my 4490 installation went off without a hitch.

I also used painters tape near each screw and wrote the length of the screw for that hole on the tape. L for long, S for short.

I also used painters tape over the source selection button to hold it in place.

I didn't do any of these step when I first took apart and cleaned my bifrost. Made it a pain to reassemble.. ( it was really dirty and grimy when I first got it)

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #56,515 of 154,255
Was someone able to get in touch with Electromod regarding Unison availability? It's not listed on their website and they didn't respond to my email.

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #56,516 of 154,255
You went through 25 iterations?
No, there were only 4 versions I believe, but I swapped back and forth multiple times with each to get comparisons to Gen 3 and Gen 5 - and I did not listen with the case off because I wanted to make sure the unit had its proper heat sinking. So each swap meant taking it apart and putting it back together. Using the proper size screwdriver is critical to not stripping a screw head. The only difficult part - to me - was that damn ribbon cable.

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #56,517 of 154,255
Jan 31, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #56,518 of 154,255
Got to have a little SOL...

In anticipation of buying one asap I picked up new cartridge Zu/DL-103 MK II

Standard Grade. Can't wait!

Betting you'll be quite happy with it. I got one of the Grade 1's due to an error. I had ordered (apparently) the last one of the batch in the standard version, and when they were preparing to ship it found out there were no more. Inventory glitch or whatever, but as they weren't expecting their next shipment from Denon for another month, they graciously offered to send me a Grade 1 for the same price so I wouldn't have to wait. And me being the gentleman that I am accepted their offer to, you know, keep them happy. :relaxed: (j/k obviously...they didn't have to do that but I sure appreciated it). I had a regular (unmodded) DL-103 prior to that, and the Zu mods make a huuuuuge difference for the better.

I haven't seen a mass spec on the SOL arm though. The DL-103 is very low compliance, so needs a medium-to-high mass arm to work best...

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #56,519 of 154,255
Jan 31, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #56,520 of 154,255

Users who are viewing this thread

Back