Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #43,891 of 153,435
So I've turned on my audio system today to spin some vinyls. Right channel is out. Looks like my power amp is toast. Started swapping cables to troubleshoot/isolate the issue and at some point forgot to turn everything off, proceeded to blow my left speaker. damn. Maybe it's time to buy some new schiit?

Going through something like that now -- it appears that my speaker blew an amp in my desktop system at home.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #43,892 of 153,435
Going through something like that now -- it appears that my speaker blew an amp in my desktop system at home.

One of us...

On a positive note, KEF is sending me a new speaker assembly along with replacement instructions and it's "only" $180 + S/H (Uni-Q drivers are expensive).
Top notch customer support from KEF of America!

Amp went into service this morning as well. So... couple hundred $ and I should be back in business.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #43,893 of 153,435
While Qobuz is not available where I am I've had exactly the same experience with TIDAL and the latest Roon radio. Not with jazz, though. I keep reading that people are exited about Qobuz and ditching TIDAL but I don't seem to see the reasons why Qobuz is better. What's better about it? Somewhere (probably Wikipedia) I saw a comparison of their libraries and TIDAL's library was bigger. Maybe this data is out of date now.

I think you will find more 24/96 titles on Qobuz than MQA on Tidal, even though you can set the Tidal player to do the first unfold to 24/96 without an MQA enabled DAC. Also fewer watermarked files on Qobuz. Some solo piano albums on Tidal are unlistenable due to the audible watermarks. Unless you subscribe to both services it probably comes down to which has the library that meets your needs.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #43,895 of 153,435
One of us...

On a positive note, KEF is sending me a new speaker assembly along with replacement instructions and it's "only" $180 + S/H (Uni-Q drivers are expensive).
Top notch customer support from KEF of America!

Amp went into service this morning as well. So... couple hundred $ and I should be back in business.

I'm planning to take the amp in Tuesday. The speaker might not be worth salvaging -- speakers have come a long way since I bought those.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #43,896 of 153,435
After seeing this...

I tried again to set up an account to see what all the fuss was about. Tried Tidal for a day and dumped it because it had very little music that I would listen to and as far as experiencing new artists, their suggestions were at the far opposite end of my music enjoyment spectrum. Spotify....*shrug*...wasn't too impressed there but can't remember the reason why. Whether or not I'll pay for Qobuz, we'll see. However the two albums I've listened to so far purely from their suggestions, I like. Time will tell.

Feb 15, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #43,897 of 153,435
Tidal has bigger things to worry about, like stop losing money. Oh wait, everybody in the business has that same problem too.

IMO, the problem with these services is the unreasonable prices. Their incremental cost to add subscriber is $0, but they expect $240+ per year for Hifi streaming.

Price it at $7 a month and watch the floodgates open.

Feb 15, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #43,898 of 153,435
IMO, the problem with these services is the unreasonable prices. Their incremental cost to add subscriber is $0, but they expect $240+ per year for Hifi streaming.

For me , paying 20.00 a month for qobuz versus what I use to spend a month on music is a drop in the bucket. All depends on the person/situation.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #43,899 of 153,435

That is why I think Amazon and Jeff Bezos will be the winner in the long run...let people get used to paying $20 a month for 16/44 and then he will offer it to his customer base at $14.99 and that will be that.

For me , paying 20.00 a month for qobuz versus what I use to spend a month on music is a drop in the bucket. All depends on the person/situation.

And that is all relative, like anything else in this hobby, some folks can afford the premium level, and it is a bargain for them.

Feb 15, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #43,900 of 153,435
That is why I think Amazon and Jeff Bezos will be the winner in the long run...let people get used to paying $20 a month for 16/44 and then he will offer it to his customer base at $14.99 and that will be that.

And that is all relative, like anything else in this hobby, some folks can afford the premium level, and it is a bargain for them.

Bezos is raising prices at Whole Paycheck, so who knows? Plus, he's getting divorced, so he probably needs more money!

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #43,901 of 153,435
I had the Qobuz trial. While I enjoyed it for listening to various music that I didn't own, I felt the quality was inferior to my internally streamed music.

There could be many reasons for this, but consistently I felt that internal music had better transients and better sound.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #43,902 of 153,435
Did you know him personally?
Not in person, but we had interaction and PM's for over 15 years on another forum and now here as well, where he shared much of himself thru his stories and life.

He was stalwart and impeccable in his dealings with all he interacted with, such were his beliefs and faith in himself and his place in the world.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #43,903 of 153,435
I think you will find more 24/96 titles on Qobuz than MQA on Tidal, even though you can set the Tidal player to do the first unfold to 24/96 without an MQA enabled DAC. Also fewer watermarked files on Qobuz. Some solo piano albums on Tidal are unlistenable due to the audible watermarks. Unless you subscribe to both services it probably comes down to which has the library that meets your needs.
Oh, no MQA on Qobuz? That's enough for me to switch to it when it gets here.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #43,904 of 153,435
I enjoyed Qobuz's sound quality when I previewed it. However, their catalog for what I listen to (indie/alternative) is really lacking compared to Spotify. Tidal would have more of it (compared to Qobuz), but I don't want hip-hop to be constantly shilled at me. I like some (mostly old-school) hip-hop, but modern, mainstream pop/rap is a no-go.

Feb 15, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #43,905 of 153,435
Not in person, but we had interaction and PM's for over 15 years on another forum and now here as well, where he shared much of himself thru his stories and life.

He was stalwart and impeccable in his dealings with all he interacted with, such were his beliefs and faith in himself and his place in the world.

JJ

No offence but as you said ORT shared his thoughts with you in private. Maybe it should remain in private still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back