Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #40,696 of 153,970
Having been part of car audio for many years, where the words "massive" and "inefficient" cease to have any real meaning, I'd recommend using a 120VAC inverter if you must use gear designed for that power source. Using a Modi in a car would also require the USB input to be powered, so make sure your head unit - assuming it outputs to USB - also outputs 5V power.

That being said I would not recommend using home gear in a vehicle except maybe as part of a show setup, but that's me. There are fine sounding solutions designed for 12V applications and the subtle improvements of a multibit DAC over those would largely be lost when driving anyway. In my opinion, of course.

That's exactly what I say to friends when some insist in having the .flac version of their beloved albums in their DAPs. I mean... when you're on the go surrounded with all that traffic noise, etc. etc, mp3 @ 320kbps is more than enough. Yet they insist in having the best of the best quality available in the universe. Ok... then don't come at me crying cause your DAP hasn't enough room for your entire collection!!! <-- I wanted to be snarky too :D

Oct 22, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #40,699 of 153,970
My wife loves your cat.

Unfortunately we lost him some time ago after having four or five vets at the university of Tennessee try to save him. Great cat though, Ragdolls are pretty unique.

You are forever responsible for that which you tame.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #40,700 of 153,970
That is a great idea. Now the Modi 2 is old tech, yet still better than any onboard Laptop soundstage. I think re-gifting your Old Schiit is the best use for it. Spread your Schiit far and wide!! Brilliant idea for the holiday season. We all have old interconnects, and wall worts lying around (speaking for myself, as a hoarder) I might just have to get a b-stock headphone amp and gift a complete headphone rig for one of my friends,

Yep...great idea; have a original M/M stack that sees no use and got someone in mind for it; have to think which set of cans to give them :L3000:

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #40,702 of 153,970
Unfortunately we lost him some time ago after having four or five vets at the university of Tennessee try to save him. Great cat though, Ragdolls are pretty unique.

You are forever responsible for that which you tame.

:cry:

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #40,703 of 153,970
"Snark" or being snarky is simply being irreverent and using satire. If it goes too far and becomes judgmental and rude, then it is "snide." That line is sometimes difficult to learn, and even harder to find when dealing with an international audience. And some people get their panties in a knot for even the most casual approach into snark, and for those people I have nothing but tiny amounts of sympathy. (That was being snarky.)

Go commando... Wadded undergarments are never a worry.

For the visually inclined among us.... and those that like pics of puppies along with kitties.

This is Snarky...

Snarky.jpg

This is Snidely
Snidely.jpg

Edited to remove HUGE pics and insert thumbnails... apologies

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #40,704 of 153,970
Snarky Puppy :L3000:

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #40,705 of 153,970
Okay, totally on-topic question, by the rules: Asgard 2 and heat.

I get it that it dissipates 40 watts as heat. I really do. But I didn't expect even the volume control to be too hot to hold after a couple of seconds. Is that really the way it is? I didn't expect 40 watts to be THAT hot.

It sounds good, so there's no reason for it to go back. It's just a bit of a shock to me.

Oct 22, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #40,706 of 153,970

I get it that it dissipates 40 watts as heat. I really do. But I didn't expect even the volume control to be too hot to hold after a couple of seconds. Is that really the way it is? I didn't expect 40 watts to be THAT hot.

It sounds good, so there's no reason for it to go back. It's just a bit of a shock to me.

Yes, it's normal. Some people would even put on rubberbands to make it less hot to the touch. :)
Mine never gets too hot to hold, though.

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #40,707 of 153,970

Hmm, I own Asgard too and I never feel like the volume knob is too hot that I need to touch it briefly. In fact, even the top of the amp feels very pleasurable to me, hell.. one of my cats love to sleep on it during autumn/winter :D

Maybe you don't have a high heat tolerance?

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #40,708 of 153,970
I'm not sure if the HP impedance would make a difference, but your situation may be different than others depending on the HP connected. If you have a different set of HP with different impedance, you may want to try them and see if there's a difference.

** I'm not an electrical engineer -- I just play one on TV. :wink:

Oct 22, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #40,709 of 153,970

Grab a 40 watt incandescent light bulb when it's on :anguished: 40 watts is a lot of heat.

My Jot idles at 15w and never exceeds 20, it merely gets warm.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #40,710 of 153,970
Thank you for the update Jason. As much as I want this ASAP, please make sure it is really ready. (As I am sure you will) I will endeavor to be patient.
Brony schiithead spotted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back