Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 15, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #21,916 of 154,810
A good way to do a 25 watt desktop amp in a Bifrost sized case might be a chip amp using an LM-1875 chip or something similar. I've had a few of these in my system, and with speakers that present an easy load they can sound spectacular. They can be done at a pretty reasonable price, too.
I doubt Schiit would ever do a chip amp, but I was thinking of making a case to "match" Bimby+Jot and stick a pair of LM1875 in (for some reason I have a bunch of them in my bits box) or even a pair of LM3886. :thinking:
My computer desk LS50 are not an easy load but won't need much power near field at my listening levels.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #21,917 of 154,810
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
A work in progress, and will be for a while, as this is a beginning return after a long absence from quality audio.please excuse any image issues newbie to this!?

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #21,918 of 154,810
Hey, thought of a new promotion... Free set of these with every Schiit purchase over $100. :wink:

hWkxLW6h.jpg

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #21,919 of 154,810
Except that black finish is an ordering option on many items on the Schiit web store, and is becoming more and more a common offering from them. :L3000:

Yeah, when they have 100 marred cases, they get a black finish on them so that they can be sold. That's a reasonable thing for them to do. Jason has said that he doesn't do audio sculpture and I take him at his word.

If he's changed position on it, so be it, but I think that raises the prices for everyone else. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #21,923 of 154,810
So here's a pic of my HT Rack. All DIY build. 3 Legs per stand. Wood is rough sawn old Ironbark hardwood from an old building in Murchison (country Victoria, Australia). Would have been originally cut and installed in 1850 as it was from the floor of the undertaker's business in the town. They are roughly 2.5" x 5". The wood still has the hand made by a blacksmith, square nails. Three legs, so always stable.

Shelves are 500mm x 500mm, Jarrah for the two left and right, and Bloodwood (ex Queensland utility poles) for the centre.

Each shelf is fixed directly to the legs via 2 x 150mm screws (countersunk into the legs and painted matt black so they disappear.
Don't know how heavy, but the middle rack needs a hand-truck to move.

I am still working on cable management but am heading to a system from networking, and just screw it onto the back of the rear leg, cables run up and down, and break out for each device.

black_metal_cover_network_cable_management_bar_products_for_19_inch_cabinet.jpg

Can send some better photos if you want them, but will have to be a few weeks away as I am currently travelling with work.

Need to get something better for the speakers to sit on too!

No Schiit on this rack yet, my Schitt is on a shelf in the office. But maybe some Vidars might find their way here!

Good luck with your search!

Cheers
Tim

Wow, gorgeous, breathtaking.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #21,924 of 154,810
I want to DIY it but I keep running into cablemanagement-issues, room for powerstrips out of sight and I decided I don`t want glass.
So it will be wooden but not sure if it will have 1,2,3 or even four feet and how to attach the plateaus (4 of them) and keep them somewhat decoupled at the same time.
And the goal is to keep cost at a minimum and buy more Schiit.

I don't know if this can be beat for the money, although I'm not sold on the feet, might need metal coasters since they use spikes:

https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio...5579&sr=8-2&keywords=pangea+vulcan+audio+rack

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #21,925 of 154,810
I don't know if this can be beat for the money, although I'm not sold on the feet, might need metal coasters since they use spikes:

https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio...5579&sr=8-2&keywords=pangea+vulcan+audio+rack
We used these racks in our display at the LA Audio Show. One four shelf rack ($99) and one with five shelves ($149). They went together easily and worked well enough. We had an unsuspended turntable on top of each one, and even with the Double Impacts playing quite loudly had no issues. I have them at home now and will be replacing my home made flexi-rack with them as soon as I get around to it.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #21,926 of 154,810
You failed to show me this when we were cutting up the tree why?

And did I know you got an Assguard? I can't remember.

Where's your dock hidden?
You walked right by it on the way to the backroom to play with the freya :L3000:. Asgard is a few months old. needed something that i could use when time in the chair was short or i was not listening to music. I did not want to kill the tubes in the Valhalla 2 while listening to news or watching videos.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #21,927 of 154,810
Thanks Jason for having time to talk during my visit. Good luck with the release of new products going forward. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_105616.jpg
    IMG_20170715_105616.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 16, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #21,929 of 154,810
So here's a pic of my HT Rack. All DIY build. 3 Legs per stand. Wood is rough sawn old Ironbark hardwood from an old building in Murchison (country Victoria, Australia). Would have been originally cut and installed in 1850 as it was from the floor of the undertaker's business in the town. They are roughly 2.5" x 5". The wood still has the hand made by a blacksmith, square nails. Three legs, so always stable.

Shelves are 500mm x 500mm, Jarrah for the two left and right, and Bloodwood (ex Queensland utility poles) for the centre.

Each shelf is fixed directly to the legs via 2 x 150mm screws (countersunk into the legs and painted matt black so they disappear.
Don't know how heavy, but the middle rack needs a hand-truck to move.

I am still working on cable management but am heading to a system from networking, and just screw it onto the back of the rear leg, cables run up and down, and break out for each device.

black_metal_cover_network_cable_management_bar_products_for_19_inch_cabinet.jpg

Can send some better photos if you want them, but will have to be a few weeks away as I am currently travelling with work.

Need to get something better for the speakers to sit on too!

No Schiit on this rack yet, my Schitt is on a shelf in the office. But maybe some Vidars might find their way here!

Good luck with your search!

Cheers
Tim
Nice! Well proportioned and beatifull materials. So 3 leggs really is stable enough?

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #21,930 of 154,810
We used these racks in our display at the LA Audio Show. One four shelf rack ($99) and one with five shelves ($149). They went together easily and worked well enough. We had an unsuspended turntable on top of each one, and even with the Double Impacts playing quite loudly had no issues. I have them at home now and will be replacing my home made flexi-rack with them as soon as I get around to it.

Why are 5 shelves $149 whilst 4 shelves is $99? Why are shelves $99 in the first place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back