Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 13, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #21,827 of 153,935
"The bias voltage is a steady negative voltage source that is constantly applied to the grid to keep it more negative than the cathode. ... So, setting an amp bias means that the idle current to the plate is set at an optimum point for that particular amp and set of tubes."

Only for tubes; connections are base, collector and emitter for bipolar transistors and operation is different; grid, source and drain for field effect transistors - as used in Ragnarok (where the query originated).

Can anyone explain what biasing is?
Google doesn't give me the answer in relation to amps.
try google with "transistor biasing", "transistor biasing for amplifier", "mosfet biasing for amplifier" and you will find many explanations.

edit: You could also try "circlotron mosfet"

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #21,828 of 153,935
Rogue Audio makes a class D amp with linear power supply and tube input. Sounds really good to me. BUT 100W Stereo amp at $3k is a bit beyond budget.

Madness that Money buys you two Emotiva XPA1's Rated @ 600 Watt/8 Ohms or 1,000 Watts/4Ohms Mono with LPS transformers the Size of Gorilla Nuts. Or a Freya, Gumby and a Vidar with enough left over for interconnects and beer.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #21,829 of 153,935
Madness that Money buys you two Emotiva XPA1's Rated @ 600 Watt/8 Ohms or 1,000 Watts/4Ohms Mono with LPS transformers the Size of Gorilla Nuts. Or a Freya, Gumby and a Vidar with enough left over for interconnects and beer.
Not madness, just different takes and different sounds. Rogue makes excellent gear. More power doesn't always sound better (says someone whose primary amp at home puts out 15 watts per channel...:)

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #21,830 of 153,935
O
Not madness, just different takes and different sounds. Rogue makes excellent gear. More power doesn't always sound better (says someone whose primary amp at home puts out 15 watts per channel...:)

I actually have been to Rogue. Great people and great sounding gear. My system is a Gumby --> Rogue Audio Cronus Integrated- Dali Speakers.

Their separates are just too expensive for me.

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #21,833 of 153,935
Not commenting on the quality of the gear. Just the Price. Hence the Comparison to the Stack of Schiit Components you can get for less money. Hell throw a Mani in for good measure.
It's all about priorities and desires. I have a 10 WPC stereo amp that cost almost $12K. Price is meaningless to the quality or power of gear it is only important to the buyer's budget.

I'd be using Schiit in my house even if it cost 10X the current price,.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #21,835 of 153,935
It's all about priorities and desires. I have a 10 WPC stereo amp that cost almost $12K. Price is meaningless to the quality or power of gear it is only important to the buyer's budget.

I'd be using Schiit in my house even if it cost 10X the current price,.
I concur but don't give them ideas.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #21,839 of 153,935

Gorilla nuts, and the rest of his gear, are actually very, very, very small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back