Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #21,811 of 153,934
By stellar, do you mean they thought the amp was amazing? I didn't read the review, but per the thread on Emotiva's forums, it didn't sound like they gave it all high praise. They seemed to blame the flaws of the amp on its switching power supply. I saw a snippet claiming high distortion in the upper frequencies (above 10khz).
I just skimmed the article but overall they had a good impression it seems.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #21,812 of 153,934
By stellar, do you mean they thought the amp was amazing? I didn't read the review, but per the thread on Emotiva's forums, it didn't sound like they gave it all high praise. They seemed to blame the flaws of the amp on its switching power supply. I saw a snippet claiming high distortion in the upper frequencies (above 10khz).

I have never heard that Emotiva amp. And there may be technical reasons to dislike switching power supplies (I know that Jason has a very strong opinion on it), but as a non-technical audiophile I have nothing against it. I have used a Chord Electronics power amp (with switching power supply) for years, and always enjoyed it's lightning fast and neutral sound. And also Soulution amps are widely praised, and they use switching power supply.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #21,813 of 153,934
Can anyone explain what biasing is?
Google doesn't give me the answer in relation to amps.
"The bias voltage is a steady negative voltage source that is constantly applied to the grid to keep it more negative than the cathode. ... So, setting an amp bias means that the idle current to the plate is set at an optimum point for that particular amp and set of tubes."

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #21,814 of 153,934
I have never heard that Emotiva amp. And there may be technical reasons to dislike switching power supplies (I know that Jason has a very strong opinion on it), but as a non-technical audiophile I have nothing against it. I have used a Chord Electronics power amp (with switching power supply) for years, and always enjoyed it's lightning fast and neutral sound. And also Soulution amps are widely praised, and they use switching power supply.
I have found switching amps to sound cold, and slightly harsh on the high frequencies.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #21,815 of 153,934
I have found switching amps to sound cold, and slightly harsh on the high frequencies.
Like anything in this field, cheap or poorly designed switching power supplies can be problematic sound-wise, but well designed and implemented switching power supplies can be very good. It's isn't the type, it is the design and implementation.

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #21,816 of 153,934
Like anything in this field, cheap or poorly designed switching power supplies can be problematic sound-wise, but well designed and implemented switching power supplies can be very good. It's isn't the type, it is the design and implementation.

That is why Schiit only uses high quality power supplies.

Even their wall warts are good...

:)

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #21,817 of 153,934

Similar experience. ( I am taking this under the presumption switching=class D) I have compared a few to a Class A or Class A/B amps and my preference has always been the latter. I think they have their place because they can be small and dissipate less heat which for me is on the patio or in the garage and cars are good places for me.

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #21,818 of 153,934
Similar experience. ( I am taking this under the presumption switching=class D) I have compared a few to a Class A or Class A/B amps and my preference has always been the latter. I think they have their place because they can be small and dissipate less heat which for me is on the patio or in the garage and cars are good places for me.
I believe we were referring power supplies, not power amps. A lot of lower priced class a/b amps (and some expensive ones) use switching power supplies. Although my comments about design and implementation would also hold true for amplifier design, too. I've generally been underwhelmed with Class D amps, though have heard some excellent ones from Channel Islands Audio, Wyred4Sound, Red Dragon, and a few others.

The Emotiva-XPA 3 is a Class A/B amp with a Switch Mode power supply.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #21,819 of 153,934
Baldr's exact quote is "Class D sounds like ass...".

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #21,821 of 153,934
I just skimmed the article but overall they had a good impression it seems.

They gave it a "B" rating same as Rag. It's saving grace is probably that it has tons of power. J. A. didn't like how it measured.

Class D, for what it is, is certainly making one box solutions readily feasible (with little heat) for those that don't want Schiit stacks. Just add speakers and stream.....but then what's there to tinker with, where do you hook in MP?:L3000:

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #21,822 of 153,934
I also have looked into both Emotiva and Wyred 4 Sound power amps in an effort for reasonable price and high power output ( those darn Maggie 3.6's. Again ), high quality audio, the big 3. About the the same time rumors of Vidar began to swirl. Liking Schiits quality price and American made, filled the bill for me. Freya as as preamp also fulfills my needs, I have one foot in digital... Mac ITunes, Rotel CD1570 digital out coax, and one foot in analog, mostly legacy equipment from a much earlier foray into high quality sound, i.e. Thorens Turnable with a modest vinyl collection , Sansui Tuner TU717. So Freya and hopefully Vidar in some confriguation will round out my audio needs/lust.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #21,823 of 153,934
I believe we were referring power supplies, not power amps. A lot of lower priced class a/b amps (and some expensive ones) use switching power supplies. Although my comments about design and implementation would also hold true for amplifier design, too. I've generally been underwhelmed with Class D amps, though have heard some excellent ones from Channel Islands Audio, Wyred4Sound, Red Dragon, and a few others.

You are right. I did not read the review, and I was referring to class D amps.

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #21,824 of 153,934

Ah Ok. My Understanding is SMPS are not ideal for audio regardless although some companies have done good jobs at filtering. An SMPS is a departure from the rest of the emotiva amp line. It seems the modular design does not leave a lot of room. If Used for Home theater I dont know if many will be able to tell the difference. In a 2 channel config it is not skimping on the power but I would be hesitant considering all that's out there and soon to be released Vidars.

ALL MODELS: FTC Rated Power; 2 Channels Driven; 20 Hz - 20 kHz; THD <0.1%

300 watts RMS per channel; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms (120 VAC line).
490 watts RMS per channel; THD < 0.1%; into 4 Ohms (120 VAC line)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back