Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 26, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #149,371 of 150,908
1714179235145.png

Yes, I'm 12. 😁

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #149,372 of 150,908
Upwards of 4000 bucks for a record cleaning machine?...Pass.
I stopped when I bought my Nitty Gritty 2.5fi.

I did spring for the coca bola cabinet up-grade though :rolling_eyes:
I was a Record Doctor guy, then got a deal on a Degrittr, it is expensive but a lot easier. One run with distilled water and the surfactant, then swap tanks to just distilled and run again.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #149,373 of 150,908
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #149,374 of 150,908
One thing I find myself appreciating Qobuz over Apple Music for is their tendency to maintain multiple releases of an album.
>snip<
About 15 years ago I switched to Apple computers for my home system. Over time I had a moderate library of songs and CD's download to the computer. I'm very much attuned to alternate takes and versions of songs, performances, and like obscure rare versions. and had a lot of those stored on the computer.
One day Apple music upgraded. Either I fell for the "you should always upgrade your computer" myth, or maybe Apple decided to 'help' me and do it for me.
Apple music seemed operate as if there was one a single version of any song or CD with the same name. It deleted any "extras." Even CDs with the same title but by different artists and different songs.

Hmm. If I behave in fashion to ensure that when I die I will go to Hell, I can, um, "discuss" this with Steve Jobs.
Source of the problem: Apple music is run by geeks and techno-nerds, who go autistic when any input involving music, music appreciation, art etc. etc. comes their way.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #149,375 of 150,908
I was a Record Doctor guy, then got a deal on a Degrittr, it is expensive but a lot easier. One run with distilled water and the surfactant, then swap tanks to just distilled and run again.
I'm in the market for a record cleaning machine and appreciate the input - any input actually. 😁

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #149,376 of 150,908
Upwards of 4000 bucks for a record cleaning machine?...Pass.
I stopped when I bought my Nitty Gritty 2.5fi.

I did spring for the coca bola cabinet up-grade though :rolling_eyes:
IMG_4367.jpeg

This might be the best cheap RCM. The $135 Squeaky Clean MK-lll from Canada, shown next to my 1986 vintage Nitty Gritty 2.5fi.

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii

I usually apply fluid on the Squeaky Clean MK-lll, and use the Nitty Gritty to dry. The Squeaky Clean can be used by itself with a small shop vac, but the Nitty Gritty’s vacuum is much quieter.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #149,377 of 150,908
>snip<

About 15 years ago I switched to Apple computers for my home system. Over time I had a moderate library of songs and CD's download to the computer. I'm very much attuned to alternate takes and versions of songs, performances, and like obscure rare versions. and had a lot of those stored on the computer.
One day Apple music upgraded. Either I fell for the "you should always upgrade your computer" myth, or maybe Apple decided to 'help' me and do it for me.
Apple music seemed operate as if there was on a single version of any song or CD with the same name. It deleted any extras. Even CDs with the same title but by different artists and different songs.

Hmm. If I behave in fashion to ensure that when I die I will go to Hell, I can, um, "discuss" this with Steve Jobs.
Source of the problem: Apple music is run by geeks and techno-nerds, and go autistic when any input involving music, music appreciation, art etc. etc. comes their way.
Is this part of Apple Music’s “Keep Media folder Organized” feature? I turned it on briefly. It started moving my files around and I quickly shut it off. It appeared to do more damage than was worth any problem it solved. I put my files in specific places because that’s where I want them. I don’t want the software messing up my organization.

Currently I use Audrivana for music playback and all I use Apple Music for (besides streaming from the internet) is for digitizing the files and adjusting the metadata. There may be a better way to do it, but so long as I don’t let apple mess with the files, it works well enough for me.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #149,378 of 150,908
Essentially it's vacuum system, usually cheaper and manual drive, or ultrasonic, Degrittr is great but there are other options, including the weird industrial looking ones that are cheaper and more manual. I use both, one time, when I get a record and haven't had to redo any so it's just part of the new record process and I'm set.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #149,379 of 150,908
Yeah, I'm looking at $500 or less and dries the record as well as cleans. Ultrasonic preferred.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #149,382 of 150,908
She is awesome! 😉

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #149,383 of 150,908
This record cleaning discussion makes me think that my avoidance of the vinyl city block size sinkhole was a stroke of genius----at least for me.
You're retired, man. What else do you have to do? 🤣 🤣

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #149,384 of 150,908
Many. Cleaning and Drying records is not on the list however. 😛

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #149,385 of 150,908
Yeah, I'm looking at $500 or less and dries the record as well as cleans. Ultrasonic preferred.

This looks interesting. I have no experience with it, so just an FYI:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHSFHGF...?sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9ocXBfc2hhcmVk&th=1

Can't believe the VPI 16.5's are now $1k....I bought mine new for $350 (of course, many years ago...but it still works great). For a spinner/vacuum, this one from Pro-ject looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-VC-...iNssh-7OcubH4Cx89AKFTSHWtQe1K5BRoC-tgQAvD_BwE

I wish it had a full size platter to fully support the LP while scrubbing, but that's a pretty nice price (these days) for a powered turntable and vacuum system. The best way to fully clean LP's (IMO) is ultrasonic, but importantly, followed by a distilled water rinse and vacuum. And also IMO, the rinse and vacuum is just as important as the ultrasonic cleaning. You could always add an ultrasonic setup later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back