Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #148,216 of 149,753
What's Miracle Whip?
I like the taste of Miracle Whip, I don't like the thought of ever finding out what is actually in the stuff.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #148,217 of 149,753
The reason I hated sandwiches as a child.

(Seriously, I had no idea why friends had great-tasting sandwiches until I had left my parents' house. I thought Miracle Whip was mayonnaise, not some weirdly-sweet completely-wrong bizarre-ass concoction made by evil food scientists who hate life.)

Oh and deviled eggs. They used it in deviled eggs. And tuna salad. And...ahh, I am having flashbacks, and not of the good kind, from this.
I will search wherever we live for Duke’s mayo, it's worth it. Miracle Whip? Just no…

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #148,218 of 149,753
We have our Siemens (which is Bosch) dishwasher for 10 years now. We moved 3 times in that period, and the thing survived that all and is still doing its work without signs of aging.
We had a Miele that worked perfectly for 10 years. Wanted to replace the racks, wound up buying a new dishwasher. But if hou have to repair a Miele, you’ll wish you had a Bosch…

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #148,219 of 149,753
I like the taste of Miracle Whip, I don't like thought of ever finding out what is actually in the stuff.
.... brings up the question: 'what is your favourite (artificial, otherwise) ingredient name?' Mine is xylitol.

.... who knows what its long-term effects are 😳🤷🏻‍♂️?

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #148,220 of 149,753
.... brings up the question: 'what is your favourite (artificial, otherwise) ingredient name?' Mine is xylitol.

.... who knows what its long-term effects are 😳🤷🏻‍♂️?
For me, it's formaldehyde. May explain why I'm so well preserved. Well, my remaining tooth, anyway. 🤣

1713327572565.png

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #148,221 of 149,753
We got tired of replacing ice makers. It's just the two of us, so we bought a couple of ice cube trays instead. It turns out that once you get used to the routine, it's not a big deal.
Depending up the weather in Summer I average 3 to 4 gallons a day of iced tea. I now have a stand alone ice maker (roughly 30lbs a day) and the new frig with two ice makers in it. Caffeine ingestion is not a problem for me . I grew up in Virginia and drank gallons of sweet tea as a yoot pushing a lawnmower all over the town during the summer to earn money. I also picked corn, apples, etc in the fields for pay. But instead of sugar I now add a touch of Pomegranate Juice for the colour. Can not taste any difference but I do so enjoy the colour!

The most Monster "Energy" drinks I have consumed in a single day is 16. I drank 5 of them in about 5 minutes because I was told they could not be brought aboard a plane even though I bought them from an airport vendor right across from the gate. I do not drink adult beverages nor do I take any illegal drugs as I see no need, outside of a few people I know, to alter my personal reality. Caffeine is it. My resting heart rate is 65 or so bpm and slightly less when I sleep a night.

I tend to quit iced tea every once in a while. Cold turkey. But then Lipton writes to me tell of plans to shut down entire tea plantations and lay off hundreds of folk unless I start drinking iced tea again. I get boxes of the stuff nigh on weekly. Sipping on a half gallon of the nectar right now. Perfectly coloured with the aid of Pomegranate Juice.

Listening to the loverly and gracious Ella Fizgerald sing right now. What a gorgeous goddess of song she was and eternally remains.
Say goodnight ORT...

...G'nite ORT

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #148,223 of 149,753
So this will strip the DRM from the Apple Music file. I did something back in the day to use my purchased AAC files on non iPods.

Other than being of dubious legality, aren't any offline files locally on the app encrypted?
Not exactly. It records the tracks at 1-1 speed in the new file format; it’s the streaming equivalent of taping a song off the radio on a boombox.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #148,224 of 149,753
Apr 17, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #148,226 of 149,753
The reason I hated sandwiches as a child.

(Seriously, I had no idea why friends had great-tasting sandwiches until I had left my parents' house. I thought Miracle Whip was mayonnaise, not some weirdly-sweet completely-wrong bizarre-ass concoction made by evil food scientists who hate life.)

Oh and deviled eggs. They used it in deviled eggs. And tuna salad. And...ahh, I am having flashbacks, and not of the good kind, from this.
Wasn't there a Miracle Whip ad with Gene Simmons lapping up the last congealed dregs at the bottom of the jar? Or maybe my memory has been thrown off kilter by some bad 'shrooms.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:21 AM Post #148,227 of 149,753
I’m so torn on getting the Ragnarok 2. A little part of me is like I wonder if they would do something with the gjallahorns into an integrated setup. Or is 2 ghorns and a Jotunheim or Kara better at a desk vs the Rag 2. I’ve been sitting with a buy now for an hour lol.

Don't know if you had Gjallarhorns or not, if not, Ragnarok 2 is a good choice, simple, powerful enough and in one piece, one power cord.
Of course you are the one to make decision.

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #148,229 of 149,753
I'm talking about the legendary R8 open cockpit racers! They won several 24 Hours of Le Mans races and effectively cleaned up in the ALMS and ELMS series before being tossed aside for diesel motors and closed cockpits.

Except... when I saw them in Portland in 2001, after their new car suffered reliability and performance shortcomings, Panoz decided to "un-retire" their old car... and proceeded to win the race by 3/10ths of a second. It was an astounding victory and well-earned. Those buggers raced HARD! <-- Link to race recap. It was a thriller!

IMG_7093.jpeg

And the Panoz that persevered:

IMG_7094.jpeg
Sorry about the watermark

IMG_7095.jpeg
The Panoz was a total beast - I had the stickers too - Sound like thunder goes like lightning - on a fiat 500 !!!

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #148,230 of 149,753
Significantly better, but the BR08's were a steal for the price. The Antals were on $500 discount at the time and they gave me more than I paid on the BR08's as trade in at my local dealer so I kind of had to, but still feel like I should have kept for my family room tv setup.

Audio is always about chasing the next upgrade, but I'm lucky to at least be dead set on brands for my ears after all my experimenting (Schiit for DACs and amplification, ZMF for headphones, Triangle for speakers).
Thanks. I too like the voicing of Triangle speakers. Would love to hear the Antals. I'm very pleased with the Bifrost 2 (OG, then 2/64), and am interested in trying out a Schiit separates combination--most likely Vidar 2 and Kara, I use my system in a big classroom--but would like to hear them first. Some people seem to really love the Vidars, others a bit cool on them. So not quite ready to jump in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back