Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #14,491 of 154,565
  Hi Jason,
Any thoughts on the NuTube?  www.korgnutube.com

Looks like Apex Hi-Fi is using it in their "Sangaku":  http://apexhifi.com/Sangaku.htm
Thanks

Also, to elaborate on this a bit, it's essentially a vacuum fluorescent display (like in an old calculator) used as a tube. Very low transconductance. Weird operating points. I played around with a vacuum fluorescent display (taken from a calculator) used as a tube during the Vali 1 era. I didn't like the results.

Again, that isn't to say that someone else couldn't make something interesting from it. That's the beauty of engineering—there are a lot of different ways to do things, and a lot of different perspectives. Or at least there should be, in a healthy industry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #14,492 of 154,565
I Had a Co worker who saw my Vali 2 at work and decided to touch the tube and then ask if it gets hot.  My Dog has never gotten next to my Valhalla nor has Small children So this guy falls into the Last Category. I have sympathy for monumentally stupid and The Vali 2 tube do not get terribly hot but deep down inside I Wished it did for that one moment.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #14,493 of 154,565

This isn't really the forum for tech support. Google will provide multiple options, from the Emotiva Control Freak to simple switchers.

Fair enough, my apologies.   I just value your opinion over a lot of the subjective stuff that goes around the audiophile community :p

I spent some time googling mute switches for XLR, but the only ones I could find were mono foot switch implementations intended for studio microphones.

Anyway, moving on.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #14,494 of 154,565
Can we expect the fancy remotes to come out any time soon, if at all? I'd rather jump on the Saga with fancy remote included than order it afterwards. Meanwhile I'll reap the benefits of minor exercise when I have to get up from couch and manually change volume on SYS.

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #14,495 of 154,565
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From its specs, I'd never use it.

That doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't be able to get something interesting out of it.

Quote:

Also, to elaborate on this a bit, it's essentially a vacuum fluorescent display (like in an old calculator) used as a tube. Very low transconductance. Weird operating points. I played around with a vacuum fluorescent display (taken from a calculator) used as a tube during the Vali 1 era. I didn't like the results.

Again, that isn't to say that someone else couldn't make something interesting from it. That's the beauty of engineering—there are a lot of different ways to do things, and a lot of different perspectives. Or at least there should be, in a healthy industry.

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful responses Jason, I appreciate it.  
smile_phones.gif

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #14,496 of 154,565

Fair enough, my apologies.   I just value your opinion over a lot of the subjective stuff that goes around the audiophile community :p

I spent some time googling mute switches for XLR, but the only ones I could find were mono foot switch implementations intended for studio microphones.

Anyway, moving on.

I don't use one of these but, should do the trick
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus#.WEWsFn1ezis

Dec 5, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #14,497 of 154,565

The proper cage for cat owners worried that their felines might touch their tubes

At last, someone who recognizes that the problem is not that the tubes are hot.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #14,499 of 154,565
  I Had a Co worker who saw my Vali 2 at work and decided to touch the tube and then ask if it gets hot.  My Dog has never gotten next to my Valhalla nor has Small children So this guy falls into the Last Category. I have sympathy for monumentally stupid and The Vali 2 tube do not get terribly hot but deep down inside I Wished it did for that one moment.

This reminds me of the time many years ago when I got a complaint from a co-worker via our HR person about the "dangerous" desk fan I had.  I'd taken a small 120mm quiet PC fan, put grills on it and mounted it on a bracket because it would get pretty warm in the office and I didn't want to bother anyone else with a bigger fan. She had apparently gone over to my desk, turned it on, wedged her finger in between the grate and the edge of the fan and got a finger nicked from one of the blades for her trouble. HR was pretty good about it and nicely told her she was an idiot and to leave people's things alone.  Heh

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #14,500 of 154,565

This reminds me of the time many years ago when I got a complaint from a co-worker via our HR person about the "dangerous" desk fan I had.  I'd taken a small 120mm quiet PC fan, put grills on it and mounted it on a bracket because it would get pretty warm in the office and I didn't want to bother anyone else with a bigger fan. She had apparently gone over to my desk, turned it on, wedged her finger in between the grate and the edge of the fan and got a finger nicked from one of the blades for her trouble. HR was pretty good about it and nicely told her she was an idiot and to leave people's things alone.  Heh

I don't fault people for not being familiar with technology that hasn't been in regular use by most people since the 60's, but people should damned well know to keep their hands off of other people's stuff.

Side note, do tubes experience shortened life spans ifthey get finger grease on them, like high end headlight bulbs do, or is that just an urban legend?

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #14,501 of 154,565

Side note, do tubes experience shortened life spans ifthey get finger grease on them, like high end headlight bulbs do, or is that just an urban legend?

According to one of the upscale vacuum tube suppliers I buy from, it's an urban legend.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #14,503 of 154,565
If the tubes are pricey and if you ever might consider selling them you want to keep any boxes in good condition and be careful not to remove any of the printing / labeling on the tubes.

I don't swap out tubes often but when I do I use powder free disposable vinyl exam gloves. About $5 bucks for 50 which should last a lifetime. I like them because they really grip the glass much better than my fingers so it's easy to grab a tube and pull it straight up without damaging any printing. Especially with my Mjolnir2 where there is very little area on the top of the tube to grip to extract, unless I use my tube lifters under them, which I prefer not to use.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #14,504 of 154,565
  Finger oil is damaging to quartz lamps and heater elements, not to glass.

Yep, 100% bullcrap. I've literally never wiped a tube off, ever. They don't get that hot (150-250 degrees is typical).

For a 150W xenon projector lamp bulb (or old-skool 1K-10K bulbs in theatre fixtures), yeah, well, a fingerprint means boom.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back