Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #137,416 of 153,754
I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a compatible speaker for desk/ tabletop placement. Everyone suggests the Klipsch but they're placement suggestions clearly indicate they aren't designed as bookshelf or desktop speakers. I'm extremely picky about my music, speaker placement is often more important than just about anything else. A great set of speakers improperly placed can be smoked by a mediocre pair with proper placement. Proper 2 channel beats the pants off of surround sound for music with proper speaker placement. Eventually I intend to purchase some Polk bookshelf speakers to pair with a Rekkr because I think they'll probably be fine for near field listening at the desk. If you find something small enough to fit on desk that aren't crazy expensive with unrealistic placement recommendations I am extremely interested.
I have found the best option for my nearfield/desk setup are coax drivers. Currently running some Seas 6" two way coaxes, with an Isobarik subwoofer (Vifa 10" drivers) to beef up the bottom end. The coherence of the coax drivers in nearfield is exceptional.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #137,417 of 153,754
Actually... proper use of brakes is what gets you the best track time. Just ask any competent performance driver instructor.
Except for when your Gravity Racing !! which I do !!
me (2).jpg

Me in the Gravity racer and I have been going rapidly downhill ever since !!
erratic gravy.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #137,418 of 153,754
I have also have replaced all of my Schiit units' power cords, not because I think it makes them sound better but because I buy all of the power cord to the length I need. This subaerially reduces the rats' next of power cables. Whenever possible I also buy all the USB, Balanced, and coax cables to the length I need. It just makes life easier.
Me too -same reason

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #137,420 of 153,754
A shout out in appreciation for the Transporter!
I ordered it when it was first announced and it has remained one of my favorite pieces of audio equipment of all time. It completely changed the way I listened to music, and was the first stand alone appliance I knew of (as opposed to general purpose computer) for lossless digital playout. Slim Devices were ahead of their time, but it was not the right product for mass market sales and Logitech.
Enjoy it while you can!
IMG_0761.jpeg
Thanks for sharing this great pic @TedTopfer
What a fantastic looking system.
I agree about the Transporter.
It also changed the way I listened to music when I bought mine in 2007.
The guy I bought my used ATCs from, introduced me to the whole concept of ripping CDs to a networked hard drive, the ‘Squeezebox’ devices and software.
It was quite a challenge for a technophobe like me, but people on the Slim Devices forum helped me out in much the same way as the excellent forum members do here.
I am convinced that if the Transporter had been designed and built by a ‘high end’ audio manufacturer, rather than a small Silicon Valley company, it would have cost many times its initial price of around £1,100 in the UK.
Logitech didn’t know what to do with the Slim Devices business when they bought it, which was no surprise to me!
The Transporter was soon discontinued…

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #137,421 of 153,754
A shout out in appreciation for the Transporter!
I ordered it when it was first announced and it has remained one of my favorite pieces of audio equipment of all time. It completely changed the way I listened to music, and was the first stand alone appliance I knew of (as opposed to general purpose computer) for lossless digital playout. Slim Devices were ahead of their time, but it was not the right product for mass market sales and Logitech.
Enjoy it while you can!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #137,422 of 153,754
Sony SSCS5. The price jumps all over the place but I got a pair for under $120. They’re surprisingly decent and upgradable.

Looking at the specs those seem about the same as my Elacs.

Danger, danger Will Robinson, rabbit hole ahead.

I'm usually pretty good at not going too far down the rabbit hole. :D I'm well aware of the folly of diminishing returns.

I've been unsuccessful in my attempts to find a compatible speaker for desk/ tabletop placement. Everyone suggests the Klipsch but they're placement suggestions clearly indicate they aren't designed as bookshelf or desktop speakers. I'm extremely picky about my music, speaker placement is often more important than just about anything else. A great set of speakers improperly placed can be smoked by a mediocre pair with proper placement. Proper 2 channel beats the pants off of surround sound for music with proper speaker placement. Eventually I intend to purchase some Polk bookshelf speakers to pair with a Rekkr because I think they'll probably be fine for near field listening at the desk. If you find something small enough to fit on desk that aren't crazy expensive with unrealistic placement recommendations I am extremely interested.

That's definitely something I need to consider. I'll probably need to reorganize my desk layout, although I've been contemplating how much the sound would be affected if they were mounted above my monitors. Also how much the sound would change having the speakers sit upright vs on their side.

I use headphones. Yup. 'phones. Both hard-wired and BooToof but in troof I like the former a bit more.

D'ORTagnan

I like my headphones and they sound good but I find all headphones to be uncomfortable to wear for long periods. My current corded setup is also not practical for me to move around much.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #137,426 of 153,754
Ugly,ftw?

i used to live in Arlington (above the bakery and movie theater). Never did understand why it was a "moist town".
You're not talking Goodwin's above? They were never in Arlington, iirc?

Stratus! Now that's a blast from the past. I had stints at ComputerVision, PrIme (because they bought CV), and, very VERY briefly at GenRad.
Ugly indeed for the win!

It was Audiovision, on Mass Ave (west side). Would have been about a mile or so “up” Mass Ave from that bakery/movie theatre! Owned/run by Steve and Mal. Great guys. Spent 1/2 year auditioning ARC, CJ, Classe, Sota, VPI, Magneplaners, Apogees, Bryston, and a lot more. They’d let me take stuff home (amazing what you CAN fit in a GTI btw! Yes, two Apogees AND pre/power amps (LOL). The only equipment I ultimately didn’t get from them was my SME 309 Tonearm, which I scored and black market imported it whilst on a business trip to London.

It WAS a lot of money back then ($16.5K +/-). But thankful I went that route, where else can you spend that money and get 30+ years of musical bliss??? So I spent ORFAS money when I was 31… guess I was YRFAS then, so I’m not ORFAS now? <shrug>

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #137,427 of 153,754
... If you find something small enough to fit on desk that aren't crazy expensive with unrealistic placement recommendations I am extremely interested.
I've been thinking about this. What's "small enough?"

For me, the Philharmonic True Mini at 6x8x11 looked too big. Totem Skylight similar size. I liked the size of the Super Mon Mini, 4.72″ by 8.27″ by 6.69″, which I heard at CAP (fantastic!) but not the price!

No port also makes things challenging.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #137,428 of 153,754
Jan 25, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #137,429 of 153,754
I have found the best option for my nearfield/desk setup are coax drivers. Currently running some Seas 6" two way coaxes, with an Isobarik subwoofer (Vifa 10" drivers) to beef up the bottom end. The coherence of the coax drivers in nearfield is exceptional.
I was thinking Blumenstein Orcas were these but not. Who makes that sort of thing?

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #137,430 of 153,754

Users who are viewing this thread

Back