Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 19, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #136,936 of 153,754
Give it a listen... (Thank you, Roon recommendation engine.)

1000004329.jpg
Long time AP fan. Listen to some early albums, especially "Pyramid", "I Robot", "The Turn of a Friendly Card".

Brings back freshman University to me, circa 1978.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #136,937 of 153,754
no no no, it is a knight from the court of Charlemagne. :smile_phones:

Paladin

The Paladins, also called the Twelve Peers, are twelve legendary knights, the foremost members of Charlemagne's court in the 8th century. They first appear in the medieval chanson de geste cycle of the Matter of France, where they play a similar role to the Knights of the Round Table in Arthurian romance. In these romantic portrayals, the chivalric paladins represent Christianity against a Saracen invasion of Europe.
I'm pretty sure the Saracen invasion of Europe has happened.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #136,938 of 153,754
I had a client once, a large Swiss/German aerospace supplier, who supplied all kinds of different parts and assemblies for all kinds of different manufacturers, including both, Boeing and Airbus. I wish I could (publicly) retell the stories they told me about the sometimes stark contrast in engineering philosophies between Boeing and Airbus. But I'd rather not, for legal reasons… 🤣
I read a recent article regarding the Boeing door problems.

Apparently, Boeing was appropriated by bean counters in the recent past. Historically, a company controlled by engineers. No longer.

Their troubles are just starting: https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/16/investing/boeing-stock-faa-investigation/index.html

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #136,939 of 153,754
Elon Musk sold about $40B in Tesla stock in 2022, nearly all of which would have been subject to taxation. So between that and other income he was likely to have made, it's not a stretch to believe his tax bills came to about that much, and maybe more if you include state taxes.
I hope he payed nothing.

My father had my house constructed 50+ years ago. He payed for the lot, the construction, the landscaping, everything.

Every year, I'm presented a bill by the City/County government for a percentage of my home's value. Why? Shouldn't there be a point where one's obligations are fulfilled?

Over the course of the last 50 years, the local government has collected many times the value of my home in taxes.

We can never own anything. We rent from government.

Benjamin Martin: Why should I agree to swap one tyrant three thousand miles away for three thousand tyrants one mile away?

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #136,941 of 153,754
Long time AP fan. Listen to some early albums, especially "Pyramid", "I Robot", "The Turn of a Friendly Card".

Brings back freshman University to me, circa 1978.
This thread is a bad influence... playing Alan Parsons on Qobuz... Tubes and Grado GS1000

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #136,942 of 153,754
My wife hates Led. Zeppelin, she says the vocals are like a dying cat. Sooo imagine my surprise when I find her jamming out to the Beth Hart Zeppelin tribute album.! She said she found it playing when she put my headphones on and fell in love.. :ksc75smile: :darthsmile:

Fulla E to Piety into my Grado 325e headphones.... And her mind was blown.

Edit she just announced she needs a Piety at her work station. :beerchug:

I’ve seen her in concert several times. She puts on a great live performance.

Jan 20, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #136,943 of 153,754
Got an email from Lindsay, they will ship a replacement unit of MM2 to me :)

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #136,944 of 153,754
Excellent. I have a penchant for dark, aged rums but tonight it is Japanese whisky. A friend is heading or Japan soon so I am trying to decide on what she should bring back. Hibiki or Suntori?
I'd say Hakushu 12-Year but I hear it's as rare as an all-analog MoFi record even in Japan.

I had a taster of it at a local whiskey event about 5 years ago - been dreaming about it ever since, have never seen a bottle for sale. :/

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #136,945 of 153,754
I've got an Indiana Straight Bourbon, an Eagle Rare store pick, and that Schoenberg / Simon Rattle album that was mentioned here a few (hundred?) pages ago doing its thing on the HiFi. Good night indeed. :)
I've got a Cool Story Bro below the photograph.
IMG_6287.jpeg

Alright, long story alert:

If anyone ever finds themselves in southern Indiana just north of Louisville, KY, Huber's Orchard and Winery is an excellent place to visit. In addition to the orchard and the, um, winery is located Starlight Distillery, a producer well admired for their barrel-finished whiskey program as well as various brandies and other spirits.

The Oregon Spirit Distillers production team took a well-earned field trip to Kentucky in October 2022 and we made sure to include Huber's which was recommended by a sales rep/friend. We were not disappointed as it was easily our favorite tour of the entire trip. Ted, the owner of the farm, winery, and distillery, was so enthusiastic about his wares that by the end he had three employees, one of which being the head distiller, dancing around the rickhouse popping various barrels to our delight, every sample tasting better than the last. We actually had to cut him off crying our need to return to our Airbnb for dinner! It was quite an experience and it made one heck of a lasting impression. I really wish I could have brought back more than the one bottle.

Addendum: Despite the several hours he spent with us, Ted shared that he was also busy preparing for the upcoming weekend's pumpkin patch visitation, a spectacle he disclosed was the second largest public event in Indiana, behind the Indianapolis 500. He estimated some 120,000 people would enter his property in the course of three days. Hell of a busy guy, Ted, but that was a man who loved the whiskey he made.

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #136,946 of 153,754
Excellent. I have a penchant for dark, aged rums but tonight it is Japanese whisky. A friend is heading or Japan soon so I am trying to decide on what she should bring back. Hibiki or Suntori?
I lived in Japan for 3 years in the early 80s.
It was quite common back then for bars in Tokyo to offer ‘free’ whisky after paying a small entrance fee.

The whisky was so awful, I preferred to pay for a beer!

The Japanese are real masters at taking good ideas/products and improving them.

They certainly inflicted some (deserved) damage on the British car and motorbike industries.

I believe they have done the same with whisky and that some Japanese whisky now rivals the best from Scotland.

I haven’t tried enough to comment and I tend to stick to Islay malts.

However, I did buy a bottle of Hibiki blended whisky a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Edit: I think it was Hibiki ‘Harmony’

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #136,947 of 153,754
I'd say Hakushu 12-Year but I hear it's as rare as an all-analog MoFi record even in Japan.

I had a taster of it at a local whiskey event about 5 years ago - been dreaming about it ever since, have never seen a bottle for sale. :/
I've got an Indiana Straight Bourbon, an Eagle Rare store pick, and that Schoenberg / Simon Rattle album that was mentioned here a few (hundred?) pages ago doing its thing on the HiFi. Good night indeed. :)
I've got a Cool Story Bro below the photograph.

Alright, long story alert:

If anyone ever finds themselves in southern Indiana just north of Louisville, KY, Huber's Orchard and Winery is an excellent place to visit. In addition to the orchard and the, um, winery is located Starlight Distillery, a producer well admired for their barrel-finished whiskey program as well as various brandies and other spirits.

The Oregon Spirit Distillers production team took a well-earned field trip to Kentucky in October 2022 and we made sure to include Huber's which was recommended by a sales rep/friend. We were not disappointed as it was easily our favorite tour of the entire trip. Ted, the owner of the farm, winery, and distillery, was so enthusiastic about his wares that by the end he had three employees, one of which being the head distiller, dancing around the rickhouse popping various barrels to our delight, every sample tasting better than the last. We actually had to cut him off crying our need to return to our Airbnb for dinner! It was quite an experience and it made one heck of a lasting impression. I really wish I could have brought back more than the one bottle.

Addendum: Despite the several hours he spent with us, Ted shared that he was also busy preparing for the upcoming weekend's pumpkin patch visitation, a spectacle he disclosed was the second largest public event in Indiana, behind the Indianapolis 500. He estimated some 120,000 people would enter his property in the course of three days. Hell of a busy guy, Ted, but that was a man who loved the whiskey he made.
I will have to check out Huber, they are less than two hours from me. I had often heard that Southern Indiana produced a lot of raw spirits that were used in Kentucky,

I will add Hakushu to my list as well, just in case. Worst case my son has a buddy living in Japan who might help as well.

Local stores carry Huber so I will check it out soon.😉

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #136,948 of 153,754
I lived in Japan for 3 years in the early 80s.
It was quite common back then for bars in Tokyo to offer ‘free’ whisky after paying a small entrance fee.

The whisky was so awful, I preferred to pay for a beer!

The Japanese are real masters at taking good ideas/products and improving them.

They certainly inflicted some (deserved) damage on the British car and motorbike industries.

I believe they have done the same with whisky and that some Japanese whisky now rivals the best from Scotland.

I haven’t tried enough to comment and I tend to stick to Islay malts.

However, I did buy a bottle of Hibiki blended whisky a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

Edit: I think it was Hibiki ‘Harmony’
I have had Hibiki at my son’s place and really liked it. My friend had given me a rare bottle of saki but this time I want to stick with whisky. She has an antique table that needs to be repaired and we tend to help each other. I built all of these items for her just before Xmas.IMG_7111.jpeg

Jan 20, 2024 at 9:23 AM Post #136,949 of 153,754
Jan 20, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #136,950 of 153,754

Users who are viewing this thread

Back