Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #134,221 of 153,748
OK, I will open the tube of worms since I have not seen anyone else willing. We all know that the Valhalla 2 is one of the longest serving amps in the Schiit lineup. There is no hiding the fact they are getting ready to replace it. Let us start speculating what the successor will be.

#1 Name: Valhalla+ is my best guess seeing as how other amps have been named. I doubt Valhalla3, but maybe.
#2 Inputs, I was about to say that Schiit was moving away from modular amps until they introduced the semi modular Magni. I still think it will be a 2 input front switchable amp like the Lyr+
#3 Remote: I also think this new version will have a remote very much like the Lyr+. Not really needed in my book and leads to #4
#4 Price: This is the big one and why I jumped on the clearance price of the VHII, I am guessing that it will be $599 if not a bit more.
#5 Tubes: I believe that the tube compliment will stay the same except for maybe the driver tubes, (See Vali+)

What are y'alls input?

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #134,223 of 153,748
OK, I will open the tube of worms since I have not seen anyone else willing. We all know that the Valhalla 2 is one of the longest serving amps in the Schiit lineup. There is no hiding the fact they are getting ready to replace it. Let us start speculating what the successor will be.

#1 Name: Valhalla+ is my best guess seeing as how other amps have been named. I doubt Valhalla3, but maybe.
#2 Inputs, I was about to say that Schiit was moving away from modular amps until they introduced the semi modular Magni. I still think it will be a 2 input front switchable amp like the Lyr+
#3 Remote: I also think this new version will have a remote very much like the Lyr+. Not really needed in my book and leads to #4
#4 Price: This is the big one and why I jumped on the clearance price of the VHII, I am guessing that it will be $599 if not a bit more.
#5 Tubes: I believe that the tube compliment will stay the same except for maybe the driver tubes, (See Vali+)

What are y'alls input?
I’ve been intrigued by Valhalla over the years though having read it’s a thin sounding amp (for a tube amp) I’ve steered towards tube amps that are warmer/fuller/more euphonic.

Will be interesting to see what V3 turns out like.

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #134,224 of 153,748
What is a hackintosh?

*sigh* This is what happens when you are AFK for three weekends in a given month. I am replying on Dec 27 to something from the 14th...

A hackintosh is a home-built PC with a hacked BIOS that can run MacOS instead of Windows.

Not supported by Apple in any way, but I was able to build a beast that outperformed any Mac anywhere near its price point.

Then Apple came out with the M1 Mac Mini and I was left crying in my (spilt) beer...

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #134,225 of 153,748
*sigh* This is what happens when you are AFK for three weekends in a given month. I am replying on Dec 27 to something from the 14th...

A hackintosh is a home-built PC with a hacked BIOS that can run MacOS instead of Windows.

Not supported by Apple in any way, but I was able to build a beast that outperformed any Mac anywhere near its price point.

Then Apple came out with the M1 Mac Mini and I was left crying in my (spilt) beer...
I’ve been tempted by the Hackintosh rabbit hole in years gone by but never made the time to dive in. Was too busy tinkering with early Android devices before I could afford an iPhone 🙈

Now I enjoy my Mac Mini M1 without the need to tinker 😂

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #134,229 of 153,748
Attention DIY'ers: Go to a local cigar seller and buy a few wooden cigar boxes. Small electronics fit into them nicely. I have used them for housing external loudspeaker system crossovers, small class-D amplifiers, super-tweeters with crossover, and other audio projects. You can finish them any way that you like and since they are wood, drill holes and cut slots as necessary for your purpose. And they stack. And if you want to show off your creation cut a piece of plexiglass for the top. (The dollar is for size comparison, not value... although it is class D...)

amp-1.jpg

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #134,230 of 153,748
The switch on the front is an input selector. There is no power switch. :)

amp-4.jpg

This particular project is a cigar box front, back and bottom, and plywood sides and rails to mount the plastic top. I go for function over form...

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #134,231 of 153,748
Maybe it's been covered, (it's difficult to keep up with such a prolific thread,) but I'll ask anyway. I know Schiit has in no uncertain terms rejected any interest in a homegrown streamer. I wonder if there's a DIY path to skinning existing streamers. Make use of a Modi chassis or something else that already has the proper cutouts, and allow DIYers to make a little Schiit-house for their Pi variant or other streamers. It would stack. Maybe use an Asgard case as well. I'm not as up to speed on DIY streaming as I should be so I'm not sure of the form factors and I/O requirements. I'm sure there are many. Maybe pick a specific finish color to differentiate them. Leave punch outs to accommodate the widest variety. Have suitable bulletproof disclaimers on the bottom and inside the case. Would there be interest? Would it be profitable? Would it be a logistical nightmare?
Love this idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back