Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #10,651 of 151,047
Tony, perhaps we should become partners in crime as I am approximately your age (60ish) and in the throes of a semi- retirement and growing facial hair, wearing shorts ant t-shirts with sandals and about to move to California(next week) and buy a motorcycle to perambulate about the countryside like a carefree Bon Vivant. So you see, it is possible to grasp the dream with both hands and make it a reality. Cheers from Oz(for now).

May 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #10,652 of 151,047

From the Transportation Industry perspective, we would never allow a reviewer write "his" thoughts.  We provide a list of talking points for them to stay "within"!  

Still JA at Stereophile has a test bench, he jiggled the Amp to 34% levels of distortion, then tried to back away his from test tones ( who listens to those? ) .

This Rag. Amp is a unique design, can't we see past "Standard" Amp testing to SQ and leave it at that.  Well, OK, 48WPC is a wee bit less than Rated but the design is headphone not an Apogee Driving Welding machine.  It can drive Quad ESLs, I'd bet and desk top speakers too.  

Objective testing of Subjective designs is always a mess, who can embrace it?

Tony in Michigan

May 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #10,655 of 151,047

Mr.Swannie,

the Timer is ticking, I know.  

I like California but I'm giving up my interest in my place on Mt.Diablo, I never seem to get there anymore.  I nearly settled on Monterey Bay ( for it's great bicycling ) but I discovered Florida.  I found a place thats very much like Hemingway's hang out in Key West ( a bit more civilized and mature )  about 3 hours away ( by Boat ).  Geez, I can own a nice boat in Florida and sail or "stink" boat for hours on end.  I found Paradise.   

Tony in Michigan

May 11, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #10,656 of 151,047
I'm going to be doing double takes when the posts start saying "Tony in Florida."

Also, Tony and reddog are the only people allowed to go off topic. Carry on.

May 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #10,657 of 151,047

Mr.Swannie,

the Timer is ticking, I know.  

I like California but I'm giving up my interest in my place on Mt.Diablo, I never seem to get there anymore.  I nearly settled on Monterey Bay ( for it's great bicycling ) but I discovered Florida.  I found a place thats very much like Hemingway's hang out in Key West ( a bit more civilized and mature )  about 3 hours away ( by Boat ).  Geez, I can own a nice boat in Florida and sail or "stink" boat for hours on end.  I found Paradise.   

Tony in Michigan

Tony, I guess Florida is ok if you like your topography flat as a pancake and think geriatric drivers are ok. Also known as "Gods Waiting Room". Cheers.

May 12, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #10,660 of 151,047

Too funny! I think I'll stick with the old toothless biker bunch. Much more fun!

And they will probably have better stories as well…
atsmile.gif

JJ

May 12, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #10,661 of 151,047
Polygrippers, Flat as a Pancake are true, I suppose.  
  But Banyan Trees grow here, 65% percent of the population stay for 6 months (or less, mostly less or closer to 3 months) leaving a vacated but Maintained Paradise.   Expressways are nearly empty, there is NO Rush hour traffic, the natives ride bicycles not noisy Harleys, the Vegetation blooms year round, the Gulf and the Intercostal are a clear and  beautiful Aqua Color, 85 year old women can hit a golf ball 100 yards, they let dogs on the beach where I'll be setting my chair to ignore the hectic world of the West Coast and my Frozen North ( with Polar Bears soon to be wandering the streets of Chicago ).  

I'm already in "God's Waiting Room"  might as well be as comfortable as possible.   

Florida is kinda like Schiit stuff, it performs way over it's weight class but please keep this to yourselves, don't want the place over-run with that LA crowd look'n for escape ( let them continue to migrate to Colorado and Utah ).  LA has Death Valley, I have Florida!!, sorry for y'all but I finally won. 

Tony in Michigan

May 12, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #10,662 of 151,047

At the risk of getting back On Topic, I'm still hoping Schiit will be at THEShow Newport, with a Ygg/Rag/speakers system. After the Stereophile review, there has to be a lot of interest. So why pass up a chance to fly the Schiit flag?

(I dunno if there actually is a Schiit flag - but if you're making one up, guys, please by all that is holy do not make it brown. The Jolly Roger would be appropriate, just put phones on the skull. And instead of crossed bones, a bow and a flute. Or a Stratocaster and a Sax [RIP Doug.])

Imagine the lobby banners - "Scrape the Schiit off your shoes in Room 215." Or "Get an earful of Schiit in Room 342."

But what speakers? Someone suggested Salk, but last I checked they won't be at THEShow either. You need something that is detailed and can throw a good soundstage, which will showcase Rag's strengths. But not "analytical," which has become audiophile code for over-emphasized high freqs. Also should have good bass, so no need for a sub. And should be reasonably efficient, since we are dealing with 60 wpc here.

I'd like to hear it with the new small Wilsons. Yeah, they're boutique priced. But what better way to demonstrate just how impressively Rag punches above its weight class?

May 12, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #10,665 of 151,047

Mr. Longcolt,

Newport is for the guys on the nice side of the Velvet Rope. I've done shows like that for 40 years.  If you're selling Cadillac, you gotta be there! 

Schiit is more a skateboard kinda outfit, for the eager and actives, Newport is a bad match for them.  

Besides, Newport targets is the FOG ( fat old geezer ) folks, people who expect to see $5,000 phono cartridges. Last year they Awarded the PONO device and ignored the Yggy Dac.  

Beers died a while ago, this may be the last Newport event, that round smiling guy may not be able to continue after this one.  Maybe some youngish guy like you will buy up the Rights and continue it but I think the show is a Dud. 

I'll go to a show to learn, not to drool over $100,000 MSB DACs. 

A Schiit "only" show would be much more in line with my interests.  

Tony in Michigan ( taking a break from Gardening ) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back