Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 7, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #9,601 of 154,881

But-but-but-but! Schiit is adamant about having the amp and DAC (or functional specialty if you like) in separate boxes so you can upgrade or mix and match as needed.  And I understand their philosophy on that.

Yes, Fulla is an exception to that, but it fills a niche market.  I have two.  It's easier for me to lug my laptop, Fulla, and headphones into the lab with me, something I wouldn't do with a Magni/Modi pair, even.

Good Point. I do not need another Mani, Just an AD converter. Well I may need another Mani eventually. Looking at Piecing together a Franken Rega from an Old Planar 3

I believe that from a technical point of view, N=2 qualifies as a "Groundswell of Enthusiasm."

Can I vote Twice?

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #9,604 of 154,881

That's probably a better idea. Buy the A/D if you need it, don't buy other parts you may well already have.

Yeah, Maybe kind of like the Loki where you could bypass the AD and just pass through to your preamp/amp or run the signal through the AD and output for when you are using the DA.  

Their is some pie in the Sky today

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #9,605 of 154,881
  N=3.  I'd like to see a good A/D unit but I'd prefer it as a stand-alone product.  I already have good quality phono and line stage preamps.

Maybe Baldr can create the consumer version of the GAIN system MoFi used to use for making CDs.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #9,607 of 154,881
I am hoping for a digital Orgasmitron.

Aren't we all?
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #9,608 of 154,881

Maybe Baldr can create the consumer version of the GAIN system MoFi used to use for making CDs.

Why bother when there are a bajillion different ADCs already on the market for the professional audio crowd at a range of different price points?

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #9,610 of 154,881

Why bother when there are a bajillion different ADCs already on the market for the professional audio crowd at a range of different price points?

Because the GAIN System may be one of, if not THE best sounding ADC's ever built, by anyone, period. A 2016 version of that for consumer, and even professional use, would be of great value.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #9,612 of 154,881
  there are lots of amps/dacs too however the question can you add value to market place therefore have compelling reason for people to buy 

I'm sure they could, but I think this would be a unique and possibly not profitable challenge.  The vast majority of audio ADC's are used in pro audio, and pro audio equipment in-general tends to carry a much higher price/performance than Hi-Fi gear.  I think I read somewhere that in general, pro audio gear has about about 3x the price/performance of Hi-Fi gear, but I could be thinking of something else.

Then again, bringing affordable ADC's to people in Hi-Fi could be great.  Pro gear does tend to have features that home users probably wouldn't need, which could be removed to save cost (kind of like what Grace did with the m9XX vs the m920).

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #9,613 of 154,881
I for one do feel brand loyalty to Schiit Audio, and a strong desire to stay with them and help them be successful.  The reason for this loyalty is:  Schiit introduced me to my first decent desktop stack - the UberBi/Asgard2.  Then I discovered excellent HP music SQ.  Then I upgraded my Schiit to the G -> GMB and the Mjolnir.  Next move is the Yggy and probably Rag.  How many of you on this thread are in the same or a similar boat to me?

Just, as always, IMHO.

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #9,614 of 154,881

I'm sure they could, but I think this would be a unique and possibly not profitable challenge.  The vast majority of audio ADC's are used in pro audio, and pro audio equipment in-general tends to carry a much higher price/performance than Hi-Fi gear.  I think I read somewhere that in general, pro audio gear has about about 3x the price/performance of Hi-Fi gear, but I could be thinking of something else.

Then again, bringing affordable ADC's to people in Hi-Fi could be great.  Pro gear does tend to have features that home users probably wouldn't need, which could be removed to save cost (kind of like what Grace did with the m9XX vs the m920).

There are a lot of other companies Making Dacs and headphone amps. Schiit still managed to make theirs Unique and profitable.

Most pro gear lack the detail and finesse of hi fi gear with the exception of some studio recording gear. Amps and speakers are made to play loud first and foremost . noise floors are ussually not an issue so the gear can be noisy, again unless  you are in a studio. and a lot of the money is in building rugged chassis. The Abbey road Studios in England use HI FI Bowers and Wilkins Diamond series loud speakers.

Have you looked at any of the "pro audio" AD converters?? Sorry seems like off the shelf AD converters with a bunch of crap bundled together. You might as well get a Crosley USB TT at that point.

The same reason why we buy Schitt Dacs is the same reason why the an AD converter designed by schiit sounds like a good idea. There is a significant investment and a lot research that goes into an analog rig as well as lots of tuning and care. That in all honesty can show up a lot of digital systems. If I have a record that has not found its way to CD via a studio, Then My means of getting it to a digital form should have the same thought and research put in to. Sorry you can keep most of that pro gear. Unless you shell out big bucks most of the stuff is nothing special.

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #9,615 of 154,881
  there are lots of amps/dacs too however the question can you add value to market place therefore have compelling reason for people to buy 

Yeah, but to make a credible ADC that is competitive with pro gear that's already in the market, you need:

1. TRS instrument inputs, XLR mic inputs, XLR midi inputs
2. Mic preamps with adjustable gain
3. Coax, AES, USB, and possibly Thunderbolt connections
4. The ability to slave the ADC to a DAW

That's a whole lot of stuff that isn't currently in the Schiit parts bin.  

Now if you're only talking about a teeny little simple ADC with only RCA connector inputs for digitizing vinyl....well, okay.  But if the price goes much above $300 the competition from prosumer interfaces with much better economies of scale (e.g. Focusrite, Roland, Apogee) is pretty intense. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back