Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 15, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #8,746 of 151,657

I have a mix of 44kHz and 48kHz FLACs in my playlist these days.  Since you have experience with Bimby and Gumby, I wanted to ask -- do you find the relay switching between sampling rates to be an issue with, for example, dropped starts of tracks?

I often switch between 44/16 and 24/96 FLAC files and I'm yet to experience any drops or stuttering... I use Foobar2000 with WASAPI output.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #8,748 of 151,657

This is very implementation-dependent. With a Chromecast and a modern Android phone, changing the volume is as simple as pushing the volume buttons on the phone; pausing or skipping a track is as simple as turning on the phone and then hitting the pause button that's right on your lock screen. And, importantly, choosing music is super-simple and done with a great visual browsing UI in a way that non-phone remotes simply can't match.

The problem for Schiit getting into this market, though, is that a bunch of solutions exist and work well, and really need to be integrated with mobile OSes and music services in a way that is not obviously in their wheelhouse.

When you say "a bunch of solutions exist and work well," you skip the critical "for what?" Much that I like the Chromecast and its Android integration, it does not cover the use cases that matter for more picky listeners: lossless, possibly hi-res sources with a reliable, no drop-out route to the DAC. At a very minimum, you need local storage or good QOS wired networking, a control point (which could be your Android phone), and a mini-server to convert source protocols to async USB or S/PDIF. I've put such a thing together for my home use, but it's very far from the ease of use of a Chromecast. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #8,749 of 151,657
  With Gumby (and the relay) or with Bimby (and no relay)?

I have a Bimby. The relay clicks on changing the sample rate, but it takes maybe 0.5 sec to adjust. No dropouts, stuttering or noise of any kind.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #8,750 of 151,657
  This is very implementation-dependent. With a Chromecast and a modern Android phone, changing the volume is as simple as pushing the volume buttons on the phone; pausing or skipping a track is as simple as turning on the phone and then hitting the pause button that's right on your lock screen. And, importantly, choosing music is super-simple and done with a great visual browsing UI in a way that non-phone remotes simply can't match.

The problem for Schiit getting into this market, though, is that a bunch of solutions exist and work well, and really need to be integrated with mobile OSes and music services in a way that is not obviously in their wheelhouse.

Interesting. So if you've started a track using your phone, then taken a photo, done some editing, posted it to Facebook, answered a phone call, and made a new calendar entry, the hard volume controls will still be controlling the stereo? Or does the Chromecast app have to be the last app you used, so it's still "in front" as it were?

I agree that visual picking can be a great way to browse a music collection, but I've got over 150,000 songs and smart playlists are my crutch for getting through them all. Flipping through album covers visually just doesn't work with a collection that big - over 12,000 albums by over 6,000 artists. Visual browsing isn't quite so compelling with playlists...

I may be wrong, but using your Chromecast means that there's no Schiit in the reproduction chain, doesn't it? You're depending on the wifi (and DAC?) in the little thumb drive, and if it uses Bluetooth it's a lossy signal, and doesn't it have to be plugged into your TV? I'm trying to control my Plex server or my iTunes server playing lossless and going through my receiver, and either using my Apple TV (in which I'm in a similar situation to you) or going from my Schiit DAC through audio cable to a motorized analogue volume control. The software I have to use to do all that doesn't seem lock-screen friendly.

But being able to adjust volume and control tracks from the lock screen seems like a great idea. I'll have to see if I can rejigger my system to get that to work.

Cheers!

Nov 15, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #8,752 of 151,657

Interesting. So if you've started a track using your phone, then taken a photo, done some editing, posted it to Facebook, answered a phone call, and made a new calendar entry, the hard volume controls will still be controlling the stereo? Or does the Chromecast app have to be the last app you used, so it's still "in front" as it were?

I'm going to respond to this in the Chromecast thread to avoid further derail here.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #8,754 of 151,657

I have a mix of 44kHz and 48kHz FLACs in my playlist these days.  Since you have experience with Bimby and Gumby, I wanted to ask -- do you find the relay switching between sampling rates to be an issue with, for example, dropped starts of tracks?

When used with USB, Schiit drivers, and JRiver or foobar2000 I haven't had a problem. Using a Bel Canto Reflink and Reflink driver for SPDIF no issues either. Relay clicks as both Bimby and Gumby change clocks.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #8,755 of 151,657

Hmm. Jason...

I just came from the Apple site, and noticed that the latest iteration of the Apple TV no longer has optical out, only HDMI. Your FAQ page suggest(ed?)s the Modi as a superior solution for crappy AppleTV audio output. [Ah! sidebarring myself, I see now part of why you retired the optical-only Modi].

I know you vehemently oppose getting into the surround nightmare, but would you consider putting an HDMI input on future DACs? The writing appears to be on the wall that eventually USB and HDMI will be the two dominant players in delivering PCM streams to devices. (Well, until the next standard arises, R.I.P. BetaMax...) (or i2s takes off... :wink:

I notice that Bob Rappaport's DAC accepts HDMI (http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/hdacc/) (actually has a passthrough rather like pre-amps that have a home-theatre passthrough) and while it's not yet a common feature I can't help but feel it will become so.

Is this something on the radar for Schiit?

(I apologize for all the brackets) (sorry) (haven't had enough coffee) (not thinking linearly yet)

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #8,756 of 151,657

There are products that will "extract" sound from HDMI and output optical.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extractor-Optical-Converter-VHD-H2HSAs/dp/B00KBHX072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447780369&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+optical

As long as you can get your device to output PCM stereo then it should work with any Schiit DAC with an optical input.

The surround formats are problematic, but I doubt schiit is will leap in to surround decoding anytime soon.

Update: I included amazon link as an example. The audio extractor seems like it should do what you need but I'm not 100% sure. Do you homework before buying!

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #8,757 of 151,657
I've gone down that road myself looking for a way to get Digital audio out of the HDMI connector and found devices similar to what you posted but haven't been sure if they'll work without a monitor / TV connected it it. Anyone have anything more than speculation if they'll work?

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #8,759 of 151,657
Also HDMI has royalties. Not gonna fly.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #8,760 of 151,657
I just came from the Apple site, and noticed that the latest iteration of the Apple TV no longer has optical out, only HDMI.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I really hope this is not a trend with other products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back