Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #68,251 of 154,808
Ugh. OK, do what makes you happy. But as an old guy who suffers from tinnitus, I urge you to wear hearing protection. When you're 65 you'll wish you had.
Ditto from a 55 year old with tinnitus.

Sorry, is that ringing in my ears bothering you?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #68,252 of 154,808
And so the disinformation spreads. This is exactly how parroting non-truths makes them real.
People, please insert your brains before reading and reacting to posts.
It saves the rest of us a lot of BS and unneeded time.
You really don't need an account to watch YouTube videos.
A 30 seconds ad doesn't break your spirit if you know there's a lot of schiit coming after it.
You don't need an account to watch on facebook or youtube but you will need an account to post comments. As they say, therein lies the rub.

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #68,253 of 154,808
Because sometimes I want Tool to play MOAR louder. Can't go to a concert, so I want to make one. For everyday, the 2x Vidars are perfect for the 1.7i. For some Friday nights, I want this one to go to 11.

I bought a pair of 1100W into 4 Ohm Class D amps to try for this purpose. They could definitely push louder, but at the expense of not sounding as good as the Vidars even at lower volumes. I was also looking at a pair of XPA-DR1. But hey, maybe I'd be better off getting a "Friday Night" pair of speakers like some real efficient 8 Ohm Klipsch Forte III or RF7 III

As someone who once lost his hearing and just recently confirmed that his hearing is back to normal, please take care of your hearing

That was one big reason why I held back on audio purchases like that Schiit Eitr and those headphones (and which all of these didn't work out as I was too late apparently) until only very recently

Last thing you want is to turn a moment of enjoyment into a lifetime of regret

And no, my issues weren't due to exposure to loud noises but had I continued back then, it would have been irreversible

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #68,254 of 154,808
I like your scope. Don't forget to go outside this weekend, and especially Monday Dec 21, for the big conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn.

We've had a massive impenetrable cloud cover here in DK for at least a month. I've more or less given up on seeing this. If the sky clears up on the 21st, it'll be a pleasant surprise, but I'm not taking any bets.

Also; 51 and tinnitus for several years. I still like stuff loud(ish) once in a blue moon. Nowhere near concert/club levels though.

Dec 16, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #68,256 of 154,808
Sorry, is that ringing in my ears bothering you?

True story: My grandmother once complained to my aunts that her ears were ringing all the time. My grandfather chimed in to confirm that her ears were ringing so loud that he could also hear it. Turns out their fire alarm's battery was running out and making beeping sounds.

Also, the giveaway better be worldwide, because I'm waking up at an ungodly hour to participate.

Dec 16, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #68,257 of 154,808
I think the Euro version of Schiit should join forces somehow and help each other compete with each other.
Being on the brink of Brexit not very likely or even not possible anymore after the 1st of January.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #68,259 of 154,808
As someone who once lost his hearing and just recently confirmed that his hearing is back to normal, please take care of your hearing
In that spirit, how do you know when loud is too loud? I purchased a cheap microphone to calibrate my speakers and it says up to 83 db is as loud as I get right now.

My friend google says:

The impact of noise adds up over a lifetime. If you are exposed to loud sounds on a regular basis, your risk for permanent damage increases over time. Even a single but long-lasting loud event can cause damage. Sounds at or below 70 dBA are usually considered safe, even if they last a long time. Noises are more likely to damage your hearing if they are:

• 85 dBA and last a few hours.
  • 100 dBA and last at least 14 minutes.
  • 110 dBA and last at least 2 minutes.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #68,260 of 154,808
Just give me a solid state Lyr with two analog inputs.
I just furrowed my brows by your post. Wouldn’t a solid state Lyr be an Asgard 3 with an RCA (input only) module installed? Meh, I’m just confused. Don’t mind me... :thinking:

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #68,261 of 154,808
Sorry to schiit up the thread with a basic question, but can Schiit's headphone amps daisy chain into other headphone amps? The manuals only mention connecting the preamp outputs to "powered monitors or speaker power amplifiers", so I want to make sure I'm safe.
Welcome to the thread, @banda . ...your question came up either here or in the Vali rolling thread a while back. Nobody thew up a (figurative) red card. Try it and see if you like the effect. Btw, I think one user here called what you are doing “stacking”.
Hel, I’ve seen users mount spooky-looking, dual-tube, left-right-channel adapters on their Schiit amplifiers! :ksc75smile:

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #68,262 of 154,808
Dec 16, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #68,263 of 154,808
One of my favorite musical Ted "talks" The Silk Road Ensemble with their interpretation of folk song traditional St. James infirmary (blues)
Incredible musicians, weir instruments and what a female voice.
See the video

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #68,264 of 154,808
Welcome to the thread, @banda . ...your question came up either here or in the Vali rolling thread a while back. Nobody thew up a (figurative) red card. Try it and see if you like the effect. Btw, I think one user here called what you are doing “stacking”.
Hel, I’ve seen users mount spooky-looking, dual-tube, left-right-channel adapters on their Schiit amplifiers! :ksc75smile:
Thanks for the extra input! Any links to people showing their spooky-looking adaptors?

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #68,265 of 154,808
In that spirit, how do you know when loud is too loud? I purchased a cheap microphone to calibrate my speakers and it says up to 83 db is as loud as I get right now.

My friend google says:

The impact of noise adds up over a lifetime. If you are exposed to loud sounds on a regular basis, your risk for permanent damage increases over time. Even a single but long-lasting loud event can cause damage. Sounds at or below 70 dBA are usually considered safe, even if they last a long time. Noises are more likely to damage your hearing if they are:

• 85 dBA and last a few hours.
  • 100 dBA and last at least 14 minutes.
  • 110 dBA and last at least 2 minutes.

That's a good question. It is situation dependant

For general outdoors, it is fine unless I need to pass by construction areas. In this case, I will either find ways around it, or simply move faster
For areas that are known to be noisy (e.g. concerts), I will just go ahead and use earplugs (e.g. Etymotic's musician earplugs) since these are designed and proven to lower volume to acceptable ranges while still not affecting the quality of audio (in fact I find these to help make things sound less bassy, thus achieveing a better tonal balance)
For home audio, I usually set the volume such that the audio is no louder than normal conversations. Using ReplayGain helps for my music files since it sets the maximum volume of each file to 89dB in a loseless way, allowing me to just set the volume knob of my amp to one position (usually around 40% to 50%) and be comfortable with that instead of having to keep turning the knob for each file

I also read up on the manuals of my musician earplugs since they give very useful information on what to aim for and what to avoid.
Here they are
https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/mp915.html
https://www.etymotic.com/downloads/...high_fidelity_hearing_protection_brochure.pdf
https://www.etymotic.com/downloads/...its_and_the_importance_of_noise_dosimetry.pdf
https://www.etymotic.com/downloads/.../noise_induced_hearing_loss_know_the_risk.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back