Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #67,472 of 153,933
2020, Chapter 15:
One Small Leap…

So, we have a new DAC, and it’s called Modi 3+.

If you want to spin this totally pragmatically, Modi 3+ is Modi 3 with Unison USB™. (Well, and a few more under-the hood things that improve performance.)

Well, this is really interesting!

A Magni 3/Mimby combo currently sits on my desk and has been sitting there for some years.
It's been my gateway to better audio when I was a student strapped for money (together with Senn HD600, also still rocking to date) and throughout the last few years I've seen them evolve in a way or another. This, however, sounds like a major leap, considering how Unison is greatly lauded by Mr. "USB sounds like ass" himself :)
I think it will make a big difference in many use cases of this DAC

I've always been partial to the Magni/Modi combo because of my personal history with them, but even that aside I think it's just great, as you've remarked in this chapter, that we get to enjoy audio gear of this level at an affordable price.

Great job Schiit, seriously groundbreaking stuff!

Dec 2, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #67,477 of 153,933
Not gonna happen, I think. Jason stated earlier this year that Modi Multibit was on its last run. Then AKM happened so it got a reprieve, for now.
But, I really do hope we get a new entry-level Multibit DAC in the indeterminate future to replace Modi MB (maybe even with Unison USB) somewhere between current Modi MB and Bifrost 2, price-wise.

Edit: Well, come to think of it. If we do get a new Modi MB in the future, it will HAVE to come with Unison USB. Makes no sense to put Unison USB on the cheapest DAC but not on the next level up.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #67,478 of 153,933
Now I wait patiently for a Yggdrasil+ :sunglasses:

By the "+" I assume you're referring to a Yggdrasil with a tubed output stage? If so, you have exceptionally good taste. :grin:

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #67,480 of 153,933
Not gonna happen, I think. Jason stated earlier this year that Modi Multibit was on its last run. Then AKM happened so it got a reprieve, for now.
But, I really do hope we get a new entry-level Multibit DAC in the indeterminate future to replace Modi MB (maybe even with Unison USB) somewhere between current Modi MB and Bifrost 2, price-wise.

Edit: Well, come to think of it. If we do get a new Modi MB in the future, it will HAVE to come with Unison USB. Makes no sense to put Unison USB on the cheapest DAC but not on the next level up.

I wonder if we will see a multibit DAC in a Modius size case? With Unison USB and balanced XLR connectors for less than the Bifrost?

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #67,481 of 153,933
Maybe quote Peter Walker again on an answer he gave in an interview.
The interviewer asked him if he thought they were building good speakers back then.
No, heavens no, Peter Walker said, we weren't building good speakers at all, but lucky for us the rest was making even worse speakers.
And his speakers are still making a statement after 50 years

:L3000: :thumbsup:

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #67,482 of 153,933
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #67,483 of 153,933
just picked up a sony X800M2 sacd/dvd/cd player combo for $199 on holiday special pricing for use with Bifrost OG Multibit. note that there is no front panel display :frowning2:, and just Power and Open/Close buttons on the unit itself. :frowning2:
But, it does have coaxial digital out :), so hopefully this will output 16/44.1 CD unmolested, as well as dvd and convert SACD2.8 to pcm44.1 at either 16 or 24 bit depth... will post again after I have checked it out using a scope (Yggy has the input data rate 44/48 and multiplier LEDs which would be faster to look at, but I don't have one.)

I am interested to hear what your thoughts are. I bought the X700 a couple months ago as a cheap CD/SACD player for my home theater system (I have an Oppo BDP-83 that was a hand me down from my dad, but it is staying in my two channel system). The X700 works well enough for me, using HDMI to a Marantz receiver; mostly I wanted to be able to play my "Kuniko plays Reich" SACD in surround because while stereo is nice, the surround is sublime.

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #67,484 of 153,933
Yggdrasil -> Freya+/Saga+ -> amp
But what if I want tubes in every stage possible? I want to heat up my room even more while listening to music! (Jokes aside, I do have a tube phono preamp that is connected to a tube headphone amp and a tube integrated amp...I do not have a tube DAC though, or tubes on either tape player... and still figuring out how to put a tube on the raspberry pi...)

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #67,485 of 153,933
I wonder if we will see a multibit DAC in a Modius size case? With Unison USB and balanced XLR connectors for less than the Bifrost?

As much as we would like to see that, I don't think it will happen. What you have described is the Bifrost2. Maybe with no updatability it might happen but I am thinking it will still be close to if not over $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back