Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 10, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #66,677 of 153,933
Any thoughts on how a Magnius as a balanced preamp compares to a Freya +? Want to add a couple Aegirs to my home theater set up. As an alternative to my Denon avr. I'm currently using the Magnius for headphones when i watch movies at night. The Aegirs would feed Goldenear Reference speakers. Swapping speaker cables for movies or music.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #66,678 of 153,933
As a temporary fix more than likely.

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #66,679 of 153,933
Any thoughts on how a Magnius as a balanced preamp compares to a Freya +? Want to add a couple Aegirs to my home theater set up. As an alternative to my Denon avr. I'm currently using the Magnius for headphones when i watch movies at night. The Aegirs would feed Goldenear Reference speakers. Swapping speaker cables for movies or music.
magnius has three active devices in the signal path for the headphones, the OPA input buffers, the LME for the differential gain stage, and the TPA for the headphone driver. possibly the Magnius' pre-outs are driven from the LME stage directly meaning only two gain stages. Magnius + dual monoblock Aegirs should outperform the Denon easily.

Likely the Denon Avr has at least 5 gain stages in the signal path, even in Pure Direct mode. in some modes, the analog inputs will be A/D converted, then DSP for room correction, the D/A converted. which model Denon is it?

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #66,681 of 153,933
Usually run it in Pure Direct when listening to music. I am running the Magnius with RCA input from my Oppo BPD-203. CD's or thumb drive from USB input on Oppo.

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #66,683 of 153,933
Well my love for Portuguese wine is great.

Talking about Portuguese wine..... I find a nice LBV Port wine with old Dutch cheese a match made in heaven.

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #66,685 of 153,933
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #66,686 of 153,933
Talking about Portuguese wine..... I find a nice LBV Port wine with old Dutch cheese a match made in heaven.
I'm Portuguese, I understand why Port is so loved, but I struggle with really connecting with fortified wine. OTOH, the wonderful flinty, dark Douro reds that Port is based on are my favorite everyday wines.

Nov 10, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #66,687 of 153,933
By HDMI to Denon and RCA to Magnius.
cleanest way, and allows for Denon to run Audyssey for eq / delay. but requires speaker cable swapping. As I mentioned to another OP for another two amps one speaker scenario, consider a set of 4-pole Neutrik (other brands quality ???) speakons to terminate the speaker connections and provide a quick swap between Denon fronts & Aegirs outputs. with conventional spades or banana plugs its easy to short the amp outputs inadvertently when swapping at the speaker end of the cables.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #66,688 of 153,933
cleanest way, and allows for Denon to run Audyssey for eq / delay. but requires speaker cable swapping. As I mentioned to another OP for another two amps one speaker scenario, consider a set of 4-pole Neutrik (other brands quality ???) speakons to terminate the speaker connections and provide a quick swap between Denon fronts & Aegirs outputs. with conventional spades or banana plugs its easy to short the amp outputs inadvertently.
My plan is to swap speaker cables at speakers. That way I don't have to reach behind amps. Just power off before switching of course.:relaxed:

Nov 10, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #66,689 of 153,933
perhaps Schiit could make a 2nd gen two-channel Freya S2 (buffered) remote volume control 64 1.25dB steps Nexus XLR/SE In/Outs, plus an expansion port to control optional linkable expansion volume control units, with say 5 SE-only channels each, for integration with (analog) HT systems that use shared main speaker and external (Schiit) main amps.

for a 5.1 system, buy one Freya S2 and one expansion unit,
for a 5.1.4 system, one Freya S2 and two expansion units, etc..

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #66,690 of 153,933
i don't see a pull-down option for black. do any factory black Freyas exist in OG, S, or + variants? Jason probably uses the damaged casework for dev protos.

The Transport might only be offered in silver too.

The Freya S was always available in a choice of silver and black, and I believe both Sagas were as well. So far, the Freya+ has been available only in silver, unfortunately. Black Schiit started out originally as a way to reclaim blemished cases, but has slowly become a standard color in a number of their components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back