Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #19,142 of 152,324
  Wow, some of you guys need to switch to a stronger coffee brand.(snip).

Like thus...?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Wish_Coffee

Death_Wish_Coffee.jpg

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #19,144 of 152,324
  I beg your pardon??

I have some regret selling my vinyl set-up... why ? Well, at the time it was the compelling argument of digital music..all that convenience and the promise of anologue-like sound to come but without all the hassle. The reality was different...I've spent way more time (and money) getting a half-decent digital system together and I may still not be quite there even now....!! In the 'old days' it was much simpler... a small handful of decent and affordable record decks to choose from...I opted for a Linn Sondek LP-12 with a Lingo (no contest)... a decent amp (Exposure pre & monos) and a pair of Linn speakers. The only tinkering I did was the occasional cartridge (a bit like tube rolling I suppose). I had this system happily for years. With digital there are many more variables to get right...once you've got your head around it all...tubes, cables, USB, S/PDIF, headphone sound types, power supplies and the vast array of DAC types the market confronts us with, etc, etc. Fortunately I stumbled upon Schiit...their philosophy and products appeal to me (and my ears) and I am finally more settled....but it's been a long journey.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #19,145 of 152,324
I used to be perfectly happy with my Sony walkman with a taped together headphone that I found somewhere.
I think a car ran over it. Its not vinyl or digital that is so different its us as a society. We have linked upgrading and spending more money to happiness and our sense of self. Questions like: do iI see myself as an Apple-user. Should I drive a Tesla? How will I be percieved when I consume at Starbucks? Those are the things that really changed. i think its safe to say my sound is better than ever but I`m still looking for that upgrade. Money has to flow to keep that economy growing cause when it stops growing it`s gonna kill us all. I think it`s totally rooted in our thinking and behaviour and there is no turning back. So maybe you should buy a second analogue rig? :)

Sometimes I even wonder why people dont want me at their parties.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #19,146 of 152,324
  I used to be perfectly happy with my Sony walkman with a taped together headphone that I found somewhere.
I think a car ran over it. Its not vinyl or digital that is so different its us as a society. We have linked upgrading and spending more money to happiness and our sense of self. Questions like: do iI see myself as an Apple-user. Should I drive a Tesla? How will I be percieved when I consume at Starbucks? Those are the things that really changed. i think its safe to say my sound is better than ever but I`m still looking for that upgrade. Money has to flow to keep that economy growing cause when it stops growing it`s gonna kill us all. I think it`s totally rooted in our thinking and behaviour and there is no turning back. So maybe you should buy a second analogue rig? :)

watch Fight Club and then

I agree that it is hard to completely escape thinking we are what we own.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #19,148 of 152,324

You're just a good abiding citizen that totally does what this type of dude tells you: https://youtu.be/lfs6wpjlu28

Looking forward to another chapter. Hoping for more de-programming.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #19,152 of 152,324

Go to a live performance of your favorite type of music.
Go home and listen to your rig.
Change 1 small thing about your rig to make it sound closer to the live performance.  If you can avoid spending money to do so then you win.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Other than that, become an Apple-user and enjoy it, Tesla isn't worth the money and never go to Starbucks.  Their coffee is terrible.

Life is too short for that kind of angst and the music should be enjoyed.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #19,153 of 152,324
Change 1 small thing about your rig to make it sound closer to the live performance.  If you can avoid spending money to do so then you win.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Other than that, become an Apple-user and enjoy it, Tesla isn't worth the money and never go to Starbucks.  Their coffee is terrible.

my point excactly. Except for the live performance part. As soon as the performance involves amps and a mixingtable there is no warranty it won`t sound like ass.
And then there are the musicians that just dont do all that well when its live.

As for me...I try to stay away from brands that others seem to enjoy to fortify their egos with. But that then defines me just as much.
I am not out to critisize btw. Just observing. No idea what the right thing to do is myself.

And I really need music. So if it comes down to chosing between listening to ass or no music...I`ll have some ass.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #19,154 of 152,324

Mostly, that one thing would be to play the home system louder :wink:

r2

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #19,155 of 152,324
The type of music I listen to, for the most part, sounds bad in concert. Metallica back in 2004, at The Palace of Auburn Hills, is the only concert I've been to that actually sounded good. Metal shows are way too loud and earplugs help but they make everything sound muffled. I stopped regularly going to concerts back in 2008, when i saw Ozzy and Rob Zombie. My ears were ringing for 2 days, so I decided to save my hearing and only go to really special concerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back