Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #18,691 of 153,859
Given that the Vidar hasn't been released yet, I know that the answer to my question will be purely speculative at this point, but I would appreciate some opinions nonetheless. I recently purchased a pair of Ls50s, which I am loving, and have had my eye on this thread since the Vidar was announced last year. My question is, would the combo of the Freya and Vidar outperform the Ragnarok with a pair of LS50s? In the Stereophile review of the Rag the reviewer raves about the pairing with the LS50s being the best he's heard this century, or something to that extent. Considering that separates are typically regarded as being superior to integrated amps, is it safe to assume the Vidar and Freya would outclass the Rag? Price wise the combo looks to come in just under that of the Rag. I have headphone gear already, so I am solely looking for something to power loudspeakers. Thanks.

A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to listen to the LS50s driven by a Yiggy, Saga, Vidar ( Prototype) system at The Schiitr. When I got home I ordered a pair of LS50s. 

My plan is to pair the LS50s with a Gumby, Freya, and two Vidars. My thinking is this system will allow more flexibility, as I plan to run a tube amp out of the Freya as well. As already mentioned, the Vidar, having more power, will allow for a larger selection of speakers if you choose to upgrade.

This is my current thinking, although, the Yiggy, Rag, LS50 combo also sounds hard to beat.

Decisions, decisions.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #18,692 of 153,859
Given that the Vidar hasn't been released yet, I know that the answer to my question will be purely speculative at this point, but I would appreciate some opinions nonetheless. I recently purchased a pair of Ls50s, which I am loving, and have had my eye on this thread since the Vidar was announced last year. My question is, would the combo of the Freya and Vidar outperform the Ragnarok with a pair of LS50s? In the Stereophile review of the Rag the reviewer raves about the pairing with the LS50s being the best he's heard this century, or something to that extent. Considering that separates are typically regarded as being superior to integrated amps, is it safe to assume the Vidar and Freya would outclass the Rag? Price wise the combo looks to come in just under that of the Rag. I have headphone gear already, so I am solely looking for something to power loudspeakers. Thanks.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I don't own a Ragnarok but have most of their gear. You will gain headroom with the Vidars. As mentioned, more latitude​ for larger speakers(or room) should you choose and with Freya the opportunity to get sucked into tube rolling. The option of tuning your system is a real plus for some. So I would say Freya and Vidar. Keep in mind that it will cost you a pair of balanced cables. Oh, Freya has 128 steps, Rag 64. I also have Saga, same 64 steps as Rag.....Get the 128 steps ☺️

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #18,693 of 153,859
 I bet acoustic flamenco guitar would sound great on Yggdrasil.

@Earnmyturns Is there any recordings made with Toumani and that LA group?

It does sound beautifully, if well recorded.

I think TD tours with a variety of musicians, not sure the ones I heard him with in the US overlap with those he played with in "Boulevard de L'Independence," the only large group album with him that I have. This is a mixed bag, with some great tracks but some that don't work as well, with the kora being sometimes overwhelmed by the other instruments. All things considered, I like his solo and small ensemble work better.

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #18,694 of 153,859
Sorry for having to ask here cos I can't find any other suitable sub-forums, has anyone here decided to go get their ears checked, especially after getting into this audiophile "business" long enough?

Am asking as my recent experiences and having better equiptment like Schiit's make me realise that I should take better care of my ears and also do check ups for them. I just want to know more, especially the part about getting my ears cleaned and stuff; am getting a little confused from all the searches so far

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #18,695 of 153,859
You didn't state your age but it might be a good time to go to an otologist and have your hearing checked if for no other reason to create a baseline.  They will also explain how and when to clean your ears.'

The big things to think about, assuming you do not work in a noise hazardous occupation where applicable OSHA standards should be being followed, is to avoid overly loud noise for extended periods of time.  see for example:https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Loud music like they play at concerts, shooting, flying small aircraft, racing, snowmobiling, power boating, ATVing and others can all degrade your hearing.  I know, I have done them all!  But it's all time and amplitude dependent.  Wear ear-plugs or avoid loud noises is the bottom line.  Tough news for us loud music lovers.

Protect your ears or you will end up worse than me.  After 3/4 of a century I still measure out ok.  Rolled-off on the highs but not as bad as average.  I have friends younger than me who almost can't hear.

Be careful out there!

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #18,696 of 153,859
Sorry for having to ask here cos I can't find any other suitable sub-forums, has anyone here decided to go get their ears checked, especially after getting into this audiophile "business" long enough?

Am asking as my recent experiences and having better equiptment like Schiit's make me realise that I should take better care of my ears and also do check ups for them. I just want to know more, especially the part about getting my ears cleaned and stuff; am getting a little confused from all the searches so far

I am booked in for a hearing test this month.
Unless I've already missed it....

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #18,697 of 153,859
(snip)

Where do I find the news from So Cal. Is there no News? Does all visitors sign a confidentiality agreement? Is everyone so hungover that they don't care to share. It's not that I can't wait for Schiit to announce it in their own impeccable style. I just dont get it. Is it the sweet ripe smell of a conspiracy....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/843727/canjam-socal-2017-impressions-thread

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #18,698 of 153,859
  You didn't state your age but it might be a good time to go to an otologist and have your hearing checked if for no other reason to create a baseline.  They will also explain how and when to clean your ears.'

The big things to think about, assuming you do not work in a noise hazardous occupation where applicable OSHA standards should be being followed, is to avoid overly loud noise for extended periods of time.  see for example:https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

Loud music like they play at concerts, shooting, flying small aircraft, racing, snowmobiling, power boating, ATVing and others can all degrade your hearing.  I know, I have done them all!  But it's all time and amplitude dependent.  Wear ear-plugs or avoid loud noises is the bottom line.  Tough news for us loud music lovers.

Protect your ears or you will end up worse than me.  After 3/4 of a century I still measure out ok.  Rolled-off on the highs but not as bad as average.  I have friends younger than me who almost can't hear.

Be careful out there!

Thanks! I am 26 now, going 27 next month but I thought it is good to start early. Those Buzzfeed videos I saw about ear cleaning kinda helped too

Thankfully I am working in office environments so there's no noise hazard. But I do go to game arcades (yes, we still do have them here!) which can get very noisy at times (especially if the machine is not calibrated properly) and am planning to attend more music events in Japan (e.g. lives). For these, I got myself some musician's earplugs (Etymotic MP 9-15 Music Pro Electronic Earplugs: http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/mp915.html) so that I can listen to the music played better but not destroy my hearing at the same time. But I am advised to see a doctor regarding the usage of such devices

And yes, after what happened recently (I will expand on this later, maybe after work?), I am paying more attention to my hearing now lest these issues happen to me too. I really don't want that; it's scary as hell.

Mine are checked every two years and to date I am fine across the board.  I do not listen to music at loud levels especially with headphones on. 

Ah I see, that's good to hear! For this reason, I upgraded my amp, which meant I did not have to turn it up too loud to hear details properly e.t.c. (and my former amp wasn't working properly anyway...)

I am booked in for a hearing test this month.
Unless I've already missed it....

I hope you didn't miss it! I heard that on my side, most appointments have a 3 to 4 months waiting time (but I may be wrong; am calling some clinics to confirm)

Apr 10, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #18,700 of 153,859
Just placed an order for a BLACK Jotunheim and BLACK Modi Multibit.... thought I'd grab them while they were avail.  Will be a week or so shipping to Australia.  Pretty sure that will be a far better combo than my Aune X1 Dac/Amp and will make my Oppo PM-2s sing 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #18,701 of 153,859
  Just placed an order for a BLACK Jotunheim and BLACK Modi Multibit.... thought I'd grab them while they were avail.  Will be a week or so shipping to Australia.  Pretty sure that will be a far better combo than my Aune X1 Dac/Amp and will make my Oppo PM-2s sing 
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah... Aune X1.
There it is again.
You do good to replace it.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #18,703 of 153,859
Coming to a theater near you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7MGUNV8MxU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back