Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 15, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #16,336 of 151,224
  Why a stamping? Because the heatsink has devices with three different heights: TO-247, TO-220, TO-126. This is necessary to use all the exotic 2SC/2SA parts that we've spec'd. But, because these devices have three different heights, we need more than a simple bar to tie them all down--the solution has to compensate for the different heights. 

Jason -- From the photos it is hard to determine if the five devices in the center are symmetrical in position and/or if the opposite side is a mirror image or not.  IMO you would want to avoid needing two stampings even if they are mirror images.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #16,337 of 151,224
  It's irrational.  Sorry.

Just because something is irrational, doesn't mean it must be impossible. Rationality is not reality. Rationality exists only within the narrow-yet-infinite confines of the human brain. Reality goes about its business without our permission, and does not require our understanding. Look at all the irrational things that happen every day, while so many logical events fail to occur.

If a butterfly can flap its wings in the Amazon and cause a windstorm in Kazakhstan, why couldn't a misaligned kitchen faucet screw with a sound system? The faucet was presumably made of metal. Now if it were carbon fiber instead... 

Wait, I just stumbled on another great new business idea. Gotta go.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #16,338 of 151,224

Just because something is irrational, doesn't mean it must be impossible.

Belief can be a powerful motivator, especially for non-scientists.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #16,339 of 151,224
  Just because something is irrational, doesn't mean it must be impossible. Rationality is not reality. Rationality exists only within the narrow-yet-infinite confines of the human brain. Reality goes about its business without our permission, and does not require our understanding. Look at all the irrational things that happen every day, while so many logical events fail to occur.

Nah, it's just the usual "WE CAN'T POSSIBLY KNOW EVERYTHING" fallacy, used by various controversial groups around the world - think anti-vaxxers, homeopaths, climate-change deniers and audiophiles...

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #16,340 of 151,224
  Belief can be a powerful motivator, especially for non-scientists.

Without misplaced beliefs there would be no organized religion. We can't have that now, can we?

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #16,341 of 151,224

Without misplaced beliefs there would be no organized religion. We can't have that now, can we?

​Wait a minute now, John Lennon... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #16,342 of 151,224

It's irrational.  Sorry.

Not arguing with you, and none of us heard what she heard. But, she did fairly quickly recognize my little impromptu test. All I'm saying is different people tune into different things, and just because it doesn't make sense to us doesn't mean it doesn't have a little reality behind it.

Run into similar arguments in the photo industry, where I've spent most of my adult life. I can tell you more about how a photo was taken and processed in 30 seconds of looking at than most people even know exists. But then again, that's my background and expertise. I don't expect people without my level of education and experience to be able to do that, or to even understand it. And even with that, due to changes in the photo industry and the economy, these days I spend all my time dealing with laser retinal scanners for ophthalmologists and optometrists. 

and my background is in science, chemistry, physics and higher level math.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #16,343 of 151,224

It's irrational.  Sorry.

If a butterfly can flap its wings in the Amazon and cause a windstorm in Kazakhstan, why couldn't a misaligned kitchen faucet screw with a sound system? The faucet was presumably made of metal. Now if it were carbon fiber instead... 

Wait, I just stumbled on another great new business idea. Gotta go.

What is considered "rational," or "believable," is directly linked to cultural contracts as well. Hang out with radically different cultures and you may have experiences that our culture considers "impossible" or "irrational." 

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #16,344 of 151,224
Sounds like it's time for a post about "degrees of class-a-ish-ness," because manufacturers will literally call ANYTHING class A. Maybe later today.

With respect to fringe auditory experiences, I think I can best summarize my position by relating a short conversation. Dave had come up with a tweak involving Ethernet cables. A very, very improbable tweak, from a scientific point of view. Mike heard it.

Later, David (not Dave) asked me: "have you tried the Dave tweak?"

"No," I told him.

"Why not?" He asked. "There's no fun in that."

"I know. But there's sanity."

And there you go. I don't prescribe, nor encourage, nor participate in, audio nervosa craziness. It makes my life much simpler, easier, calmer, and enjoyable. YMMV.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 15, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #16,345 of 151,224
  Not arguing with you, and none of us heard what she heard. But, she did fairly quickly recognize my little impromptu test. All I'm saying is different people tune into different things, and just because it doesn't make sense to us doesn't mean it doesn't have a little reality behind it.

Maybe she had one of those baby cams in the kitchen to make sure ppl didn't f with her stuff? (I know, this was a long time ago and no baby cams).

She is (was?) a legendary and controversial figure but I've not read any of her stuff.

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #16,346 of 151,224
And there you go. I don't prescribe, nor encourage, nor participate in, audio nervosa craziness. It makes my life much simpler, easier, calmer, and enjoyable. YMMV.

Ditto.

And it leaves more time and mental energy to enjoy music.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #16,347 of 151,224
I'm not tilting at any windmills, I'm just trying to help you understand that based on their specs and marketing info, it's a standard Class G design that lots of others have done.  That's all I'm saying.  I could not care less about them or their designs, actually.  My intent is to simply add some basic engineering clarity to this discussion.

Thanks...I appreciate your efforts to 'help me'. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I offered the manufacturer's information primarily because there was a back and forth exchange regarding Arcam products. It's been my experience that many folks on Head-Fi often state things as fact based on their opinions (well-founded or otherwise) without consideration of the information readily available; something I'd love to see change on Head-Fi.

Regarding Arcam's 'better' Class A/G hybrid design, I don't need to understand it as I'm not evaluating or recommending their product; simply offering additional information that the manufacturer supplied. Whether it's right/wrong or, better yet, useful/not is up to a potential purchaser to sort through...depending on their own product evaluation criteria.

That said, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that Arcam's claim of designing a better Class G (A/G, AB/G, whatever) system is a misrepresentation. If that's the case, then that's useful information to a prospective buyer of their products.

Personally, while I find the back-and-forth on circuit design/engineering specs comparisons to be mildly interesting, it has very little to do with my choices on equipment. My favorite dac/amp combo has worse distortion measurements than my other listening stations. Honestly, if a firm built an dac/amp/etc. with 'inferior' design principles (according to the so-called experts) but it sounded better to me and the value proposition was right, I'd buy it in a heartbeat -- Class A, AB, ABCEF, G, H, or Z.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #16,348 of 151,224
With the Freya now shipping and Saga out, it seems like a good time for a balanced vs single-ended chapter, for those of us trying to decide if the Freya is worth it. I don't remember seeing a chapter really going into this, but let me know if I'm wrong...

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #16,349 of 151,224
With the Freya now shipping and Saga out, it seems like a good time for a balanced vs single-ended chapter, for those of us trying to decide if the Freya is worth it. I don't remember seeing a chapter really going into this, but let me know if I'm wrong...

Over the course of many years of listening to both , xlr is always better sounding .

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #16,350 of 151,224
Hello all, my second post

There seems to be a little debate on whether or not Arcam's class G amps put out class A power at lower wattage.  It is clear from the marketing brochures and reviews of not only the 850, but 750, P49, and other products that their class G amps put out class A power when using the lower rails.

This is a unique design, by their own engineers, whom I bet are no less talented than many of those in the industry.  It is not an off the shelf class G amp design.  Here is a short quote from the P49 review on Stereophile:

"Closer reading reveals that the output circuit "includes a proprietary error correction circuit that modulates the modest standing currents in the output stage and ensures a near-constant output impedance for peak currents of up to about ±4 amps, corresponding to well over 50W into 8 ohms. The P49 thus behaves exactly like a classical class-A amplifier up to this power level in terms of performance but without the heat penalty."
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/arcam-fmj-p49-power-amplifier#9lohRJdlDKaHTM0H.99

Now some people with delicate egos may still claim that this shows that it isn't a class A amp.  However I never said it was, I said its a class G amp that puts out class A power when using the lower voltage rails, and I believe this to be the case.  I am, however, not sure if the 850 puts out 30 watts class A for each channel, or total for all channels, before switching to the higher voltage rails.  I believe its the latter, however even 30 watts class A divided up among the active channels has a clearly identifiable effect you can hear, and that is good enough for me.  We don't listen loud here.

The 850 unit sounds fantastic, and I understand that some 2 channel snobs might turn their nose up at it, that is fine.  I've complained mightily about its various shortcomings myself, mostly related to the phone app and lack of ALAC support, however for someone primarily interested in a one box high end solution to HT and 2 channel its perfect.  I would have liked to gone separates but that would have been thousands more than this already excellent sounding receiver, it just wasn't worth it and I also got a good price break.

So why am I talking about it in this thread?  Because if there was a Schiit Amp with the qualities I mentioned in my first post then maybe I would have gone separates.  Also the Schiit story is fun to read, and when I get an oppo UHD player I might put one of the Schiit DACs between it and the 850 and see if I can raise the 2 channel bar another notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back