Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #15,361 of 151,790

Fractal-Euclidian space based music hologram realizer™.

Lol,   I'm trying to think out of the box about what could possibly be so big that it deserves the nuclear option as a name, and a phd hire...   Maybe a professional audio multibit recording solution for studios to help get us out of a Delta Sigma world on the recording end?  :p

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #15,362 of 151,790
  Let's look at a hypothetical example of bringing metal fab in-house (don't gasp, we've talked about this and decided to leave it alone for now...and even if we did eventually pick it up, it would be very limited in scope and staged to minimize risk.) Big metal fab equipment costs a lot. Even if leased, it's a significant monthly burden. We'd want to get up and running fast, and keep the machines working constantly, which threatens disrupting current operations. And we'd have to hire to run the machines. So that hits all the high scary points at once...which is why we've left it alone for now.

I guess I should do a chapter on this.

Not to mention the floor space requirements, I'd imagine.

Do you guys still have a lot of spare space from taking over the neighboring units in the Schiitbox?

It would probably stink to have to move again.

Dec 22, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #15,363 of 151,790
Originally Posted by bigro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

... along with everything else Mike Mentioned in the video...

I seem to have missed this one.   Link?

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #15,365 of 151,790
Originally Posted by bigro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You may need to Clone Alex to run it.

You know, I've never met Alex, but just based on reading the story, I've been very impressed with what he has accomplished.

Most people I've worked with who have taken on the role of running manufacturing operations have had special education in some form of operations management, or production and process control, or manufacturing engineering, and worked their way up through organizations to gain a understanding of how things work and make it happen.

The fact that he was just able to drop in and execute, hitting the ground running from a background in education, is very impressive!

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #15,366 of 151,790

I seem to have missed this one.   Link?

Rowethren Posted it just before my post. its towards the bottom of the article.

You know, I've never met Alex, but just based on reading the story, I've been very impressed with what he has accomplished.

Most people I've worked with who have taken on the role of running manufacturing operations have had special education in some form of operations management, or production and process control, or manufacturing engineering, and worked their way up through organizations to gain a understanding of how things work and make it happen.

The fact that he was just able to drop in and execute, hitting the ground running from a background in education, is very impressive!

Yup, Impressive to say the least, The Manhattan Project is really a machine to Clone Alex

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #15,367 of 151,790
I too would love to see stuff blown to Schitt in the home theater market. And I have some ideas but if the movers and shakers at Schitt care to dream in that direction (even a little and only on an unusual occasion) I'm sure their dreams are already bigger and louder and more revolutionary.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #15,368 of 151,790

Do you think you'll do a post-mortem analysis of things that maybe didn't work out?   It's great to hear about new launches of course, and I hope all of the new big ideas come to fruition, but my curiosity is such that I'd want to learn about those things that didn't work out too, and why.

Most likely, but only if they're well and truly dead (like the old Valkyrie project.) We have some zombie projects on the boards right now...not sure if really dead. If I'm lucky, I may have a truly-dead one to write about from this year...something we played with, and built three prototypes of, but ultimately decided to pass on making.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #15,369 of 151,790
You know, I had almost settled on getting a set of powered Emotiva monitors to hook up to the balanced preamp outs on my Jotunheim, but now I'm really curious about the Vidar...

Of course - despite it's great value - it's more money than I ever dreamed of spending, and I know less than nothing about speakers on order to choose a set that would go along with it.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #15,370 of 151,790
Fractal-Euclidian space based music hologram realizer™.

You guys are funny. Mike's already told us what it is. Even why it's so complicated. Prolly the PhD is for developing the algorithms to keep all the interacting variables coherent.

I just wonder how many selections we'll have at our disposal. Probably 3, including the original.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #15,371 of 151,790
You guys are funny. Mike's already told us what it is. Even why it's so complicated. Prolly the PhD is for developing the algorithms to keep all the interacting variables coherent.

I just wonder how many selections we'll have at our disposal. Probably 3, including the original.

Much depends on your l33t quotient and ability to read between lines on my thread.  I also happen to believe that it would be a wonderful project to finish my world peace processor and my orchestral sequential separator and autotuner for orchestras which may lack, well, orchestral abilities.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #15,375 of 151,790
  Not for mains power transformers,
the only ones I know of have laminated iron cores (thin strip wound round and round)
ferrite toroids are used for some chokes and pulse transformers etc.

Biggest downside is capacitive coupling between the windings letting noise through

In all fairness to @jimmers - I dug out some toroidal transformers that were built back in the 1970's and eighties as prototypes for Theta tube type and Theta digital D/A converters, all by the same maker in Fort Myers, Florida.  The reason I rejected them at the time was simple; they sounded like ass - flat in a dynamic sense, lacking anything close to cajones, and boring.  A destructive analysis was run.  Aha, I thought, these are perfectly donut shaped ferrite cores.  A closer inspection revealed the ferrite was molded over another structure, which was indeed a tire shaped wound core, apparently iron.  All of my protos were built in this way. 

I am not a transformer designer.  My fundamental conclusions, however remain unchanged:

1.  Toroids are expensive.   I would rather spend the 50% difference on an underrated EI transformer, or better yet get a grain aligned C core.
2.  They sound like hemhorroidal ass.
3.  Given 1 and 2 above, I stand by my original point - Toroids are like Stained Glass Windows for Greenhouses.  Despite the fact they have a certain cachet, they degrade the performance at far greater cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back