Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jul 29, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #5,176 of 7,209
Gasp. I have a "B". Bought it Dec 2017. I wish you guys would stop this rumor mongering right now. The Gumby is awesome. I don't care when it was produced. yeah sure.......
Who are you? The rumour police? And just because you don't care I should too?
Don't think so.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #5,178 of 7,209
So on to talk about listening:

I have had the Gumby on for a good 30 hours and it is settling in quite nicely, I have a few other dacs but nothing of this quality. I was immediately impressed with songs I knew very well like some old Van Morrison and Alan Parsons. I am hearing slight nuances that I had not heard before.

I am running the Gumby through a Freya to a NAD Power amp into some Martin Logan and Polk Audio speakers with a Klipsch sub and the sound is certainly impressive. On the headphone side I have the Freya outputting into various Schiit tube amps as well as dual Nuforce Class A amps and a highly modified Bottlehead Crack that I painstakingly tuned to my preferences.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #5,181 of 7,209
Actually I am from the Rumor Police and I'm going to have to ask you to pull over your post and place your hands on the sides of your keyboard and keep them there ...
You can't. Rumour is out of your jurisdiction, and since I'm not crossing over to rumor you got nothing...

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #5,182 of 7,209
Well, why don't we ask the DAC expert himself?
Dear Mike @Baldr if you're out there, can you please chime in for these folks...

Thanks, in anticipation -
RCB

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #5,183 of 7,209
It is amazing stack yes, but I have to downgrade. So no yggy for me. Traded my HD800s for Aeon flow open to try something different and will buy mimby and vali2, when I get this stack sold. Sometimes there are more important things in life than dacs amps and headphones :laughing:

Please let us know your impressions of the Vali after having a MJ2 :)

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #5,184 of 7,209
Hello everyone &

I’m writing to ask for advice. I have an opportunity to buy a used Gumby, with USB 2. I understand I can purchase the USB upgrade for $100, $150 factory installed. If I choose to go through with this, will I come up short in any way, relative to the purchase of a new unit?

Thanks,

John

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #5,185 of 7,209
Hello everyone &

I’m writing to ask for advice. I have an opportunity to buy a used Gumby, with USB 2. I understand I can purchase the USB upgrade for $100, $150 factory installed. If I choose to go through with this, will I come up short in any way, relative to the purchase of a new unit?

Thanks,

John

If you can ... buy a new one .. that is what I would do ... Especially now we know that schiit can tweak products during the model's life ... A new unit would be the best you can get

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #5,186 of 7,209
Hello everyone &

I agree with JerryLeeds BUT! It depends on how much that 2nd hand Gumby costs and the strengt of your wallet.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #5,188 of 7,209
If you use the optical or coaxial input than USB 5 is pretty much a moot point.
Well, that's true for sure. I got USB5 but use COAX anyway because my brain thinks it sounds better :.b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back