Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 18, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3,571 of 7,210

Everyone hears thing differently. I bought the Bifrost instead of the Gumby because in my experience( my ears, my stack), unless I have long  RCA or XLR cable runs, I do not hear a significant difference between Balanced and Unbalanced, and because I build Tube amps I like to keep thing as simple as I can.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3,572 of 7,210
My short video review of the Gungnir Multibit for those interested:

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #3,574 of 7,210
I've been listening to my 96/24 version of Purple Rain a lot today through my Gumby.  Absolutely stunning.  This DAC continues to amaze me.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #3,576 of 7,210
Has anyone tried using an android phone as the source? I have no problems in getting a micro B to USB B OTG cable but I am worried I may need a powered up. The phone I have is the S7 Edge.

Your results will be highly dependent on the phone. That is because the USB input on Schiit DACs is indeed powered by the USB source. For example, an iPhone will fail displaying the error that the USB requires too much power. But some Android phones will still allow the power draw.

If you have never used Android to send music to a DAC, you may also want to look at UAPP. Often the issue with Android has nothing to do with power draw, but simply getting Android itself to provide digital audio data. UAPP makes this simple, and is what I use.

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #3,577 of 7,210
Your results will be highly dependent on the phone. That is because the USB input on Schiit DACs is indeed powered by the USB source. For example, an iPhone will fail displaying the error that the USB requires too much power. But some Android phones will still allow the power draw.

If you have never used Android to send music to a DAC, you may also want to look at UAPP. Often the issue with Android has nothing to do with power draw, but simply getting Android itself to provide digital audio data. UAPP makes this simple, and is what I use.

Thanks for the reply.
Does UAPP work with Spotify? And how exactly does it work with Tidal?

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #3,578 of 7,210
Thanks for the reply.
Does UAPP work with Spotify? And how exactly does it work with Tidal?

It works with Tidal, which I use.
You probably best look in the UAPP thread for other streaming services. I don't use or know about Spotify.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #3,579 of 7,210
Has anyone tried using an android phone as the source? I have no problems in getting a micro B to USB B OTG cable but I am worried I may need a powered up. The phone I have is the S7 Edge.

I have it working with an iPhone and iPad, but you should use some kind of a wallwart powered USB hub in between since the Gungnir needs the 5V power on USB. Even if Android does not have the power drain protection like iPhone, the Gungnir will rapidly drain the battery on your phone.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #3,581 of 7,210
New samsung Android phones can use external DACs without uapp, it comes with the os. I can use my m8 directly with the Spotify or tidal app with my note 5.
Edit: just did a quick test and it does work with the gumby as well, but as written above not sure if it's healthy for your battery, if I'm not wrong you can use a wyrd to power up your usb

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #3,582 of 7,210
Officially ordered my gumby and now eagerly awaiting delivery, birthday present to myself 
L3000.gif
 probably soon to follow, Mjolnir 2 and Ether C's

Apr 29, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #3,585 of 7,210
Eagerly awaiting delivery of my GUMBY, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I thought long and hard about getting a Yiggy but reading the post from Jason where he said that is what he uses at home was enough for me. And it's $1K cheaper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back