Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #1,231 of 7,058

Hi,
If you still have the Gungnir, my story might help you to trouble shoot the humming noise. I went crazy for the humming noise when I installed Gungnir as a replacement of "Audio-gd" DAC. With Audio-Gd there was no humming, but with Gungnir I experienced humming noise with random or intermittent pattern with different loud level at different point of time within a day. I immediately made contact with Jason and as usual he pointed there might be a ground loop. But after many many hours of observation with different tricks and tips later I found it was due to poor voltage regulation or tolerance inside Gungnir. My Gungnir was 230V model, when my main voltage drops near 225V it's start to create noise with it's single ended output (XLR of course remain noise free). There is no problem of humming if voltage raise to 235 to 240 Volt, but on the lower side Gungnir is generating noise when mains is decreasing just by -5V from the rated 230V. It is totally unacceptable, I never found any international brand which failed just at 225V which manufactured with rated 230V. For example my NAD, DENON, Marantz, Audio-Gd never shown any sign of noise even at 205V. There are many countries where 220V is found to be standard Domestic Voltage, so in those countries with the present design Gungnir will fail to operate normally if some kind of extra voltage conditioning is not used. I have mailed Jason about this. He agreed to look into this matter.

I hope you report here what Jason finds out about your situation. My experience with Schiit products has been that they are of the highest quality so I am surprised to hear what you are experiencing. That said, there will always be some units that have problems no mater who produces them.

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #1,232 of 7,058
What I wrote is based on my personal experience. Problem and solution both indicates Voltage Regulation problem. If you ask me about sound quality of Gungnir, after solving the humming problem it has made my rock music collection alive and enjoyable with it's transparent and high resolving sound signature. With Audio-Gd and Marantz my satisfaction was only limited to Jazz. Rock music was not listenable before. Now I am very happy with this upgrade. Speed, details, textures all improved a lot with Gungnir. I requested Jason to see if other 230V model have same problem, so that I can replace the unit.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #1,233 of 7,058
Here is situation update:

As per mail from Jason,

"We tested several Gungnirs to see what the raw DC voltages are before the regulators, and all have 30V before the 24V regulator at 220V in--so, there's plenty of regulation still left even at 220V, which is how the product was designed. 

If yours measures differently, then it probably has a bad transformer. I'm copying Alex so he can arrange a return/exchange. You'll need to ship us your Gungnir back, and when it has been dropped off at the shipper and is showing in their tracking system, we'll send a replacement. We'll pay for return shipping by the least cost option that has tracking, up to the cost of shipping it to you in the first place."

I am really appreciate and grateful with such offer from Schiit. Where as these days most of the time with same situation (based on previous experiences) sellers like to shift the undue responsibilities on buyers. I positively hope, my future upgrades will be from Schiit.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,234 of 7,058
  Here is situation update:

As per mail from Jason,

"We tested several Gungnirs to see what the raw DC voltages are before the regulators, and all have 30V before the 24V regulator at 220V in--so, there's plenty of regulation still left even at 220V, which is how the product was designed. 

If yours measures differently, then it probably has a bad transformer. I'm copying Alex so he can arrange a return/exchange. You'll need to ship us your Gungnir back, and when it has been dropped off at the shipper and is showing in their tracking system, we'll send a replacement. We'll pay for return shipping by the least cost option that has tracking, up to the cost of shipping it to you in the first place."

I am really appreciate and grateful with such offer from Schiit. Where as these days most of the time with same situation (based on previous experiences) sellers like to shift the undue responsibilities on buyers. I positively hope, my future upgrades will be from Schiit.

Jason is a terrific guy. Concise and helpful. No BS. And I think that really translates well into how Schiit works as a company. Hope your issues get sorted out soon, dude.

C

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,235 of 7,058
Just finished putting in the second gen USB board (very easy, however the diodes are slightly off, but I like that the lights seem less bright due to this). Damn do I like this DAC, just sounds right to me.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #1,236 of 7,058
What a difference having that new driver to finally support WASPI Event Style output!! I'm so happy I could **** myself. Prior when stuck with ASIO I couldn't have the Internet running as I would get playback stutters with an annoying degree of regularity. No longer a problem, and the sound with the new USB is sublime. Hey, post 500, how sweet is that.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #1,237 of 7,058
So it seems somewhere along the way I fell on my head.  Gungnir on route :O

Be interesting to hear how it compares/contrasts to the PWD2.  It's from January of this year so I believe Gen1 USB but not bank breaking to replace it with Gen2 should it surprise me.  Also got another Mjolnir in the deal so it should be an interesting couple of weeks.

Someone refresh my memory, was Schiit offering any swaps to Gen1 owners?

Sep 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,238 of 7,058
Space restraints must be forcing your hand at this point.

But why Mojo? Is GS-X taking up too much space too?  

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,239 of 7,058
Nope.  I think the Mjolnir is slightly bigger if I remember correctly.  Was a package deal.  If I sell the Mjolnir the day it gets here... no loss.  Didn't try to get the gent to split them because part of me wants to see how much my old W4S resulted in my view of the Mjolnir.  The Gungnir and PWD2 will give me two other data points.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,240 of 7,058
The other hurdle for the Mjolnir is being balanced only if I do go the CIEM route I'm pooched.  Even if I get a cable mod the gain would be awful high for something that spits 110dB+@1mW

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,241 of 7,058
  Nope.  I think the Mjolnir is slightly bigger if I remember correctly.  Was a package deal.  If I sell the Mjolnir the day it gets here... no loss.  Didn't try to get the gent to split them because part of me wants to see how much my old W4S resulted in my view of the Mjolnir.  The Gungnir and PWD2 will give me two other data points.

Didn't know if you stacked the PS or not. That's a good point, but I can't really see the PWD hitting the door.

Nonetheless, looking forward to your thoughts.

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,242 of 7,058

For some strange reason, I've just measured my PWD and Gungnir.

PWD ~17.5" x 14"
Gungnir ~ 16" x 8"

Might be of some use...?

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,243 of 7,058
Hopefully it competes because I'd love those inches back =)  Loaded into the FedEx truck yesterday, should see them next week.

Sep 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,244 of 7,058
Really lov'n the Valhalla with the PS Audio Nuwave...:xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back