Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 18, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #452 of 7,157
Well, I just bought a Bifrost from a fellow HeadFier to try. Should be here tomorrow.

But all the consistent praise for the Gung, inc. in SE mode and as an U/G over Bifrost, got me salivating.
So I checked if it was in stock at one of Schiit's Ozzie dealers (Addicted to Audio). It was. So I grabbed one.
Ordered yesterday, arrived today. Big mofo, tho'.

Already hooked up to Asgard, driving Mad Dogs, whilst running in. Just using a std. USB cable from Ivy Bridge PC.

So tomorrow I will have 4 DACs !!! Doh !! 
redface.gif

After burn-in, main shootout will be the Gung vs StageDAC.

Will also compare BF vs the Gung & StageDAC. DACMagic is out of the running, as I much prefer the StageDAC.
Also will compare thru BH Crack/Speedball & DT880s (600 ohm Manufaktur). Winner will drive my SR-507/Woo GES I'm waiting for.

Now, where are those buy/sell rulez ??? 
wink.gif
  2 DACs are gunna have to go 

Cheers,

Raksy

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #453 of 7,157
Oct 18, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #454 of 7,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am looking forward to this comparison!

Thanks AiDee. I enjoyed reading your Minimax / Bifrost / StageDAC comparo.

I don't have an SPL meter. Can anyone suggest a reasonable one w/o breaking the bank ?
Or else my old codger ears will have to do !! Does that invalidate my findings ?? 
redface.gif

I read in another thread where someone preferred a TC Konnekt 6 to the StageDAC !!!
Well, guess what, I have one of those too. It's out on loan to a guitarist friend to check as a recording interface.
Suppose I better include it.

So that makes it 4 DACs and an A/D/A I have. 

Geez, I'll be irritable if a $300 AUD F/wire interface sounds better than my DACs !!!     

Cheers,

Raksy

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #455 of 7,157
Cheers Raksy.

An SPL meter is essential IMO. Mine was cheap - a Digitech QM-1589. Definitely not laboratory grade - e.g. the 80dBA I obtained with pink noise might really have been 78 or 82 - but readings remained consistent within each listening session. Of course, take care to measure in the same way each time, however you do it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #456 of 7,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cheers Raksy.

An SPL meter is essential IMO. . .

Thanks, I'll see what's available in Oz.

I think an ear wax clean out should be done as well . . .
rolleyes.gif

R

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #457 of 7,157
Quote:

So tomorrow I will have 4 DACs !!! Doh !! 
redface.gif

Hey its mini me :p  The SPL thing is very important.  And yes, any metre will do.  Think my RadioShack one ran $20.  And it gets a ton of use around here :D

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #458 of 7,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey its mini me :p  .  .  .

Hahahahaaaa .  .  . been down the same path ???
The DAC setup in your sig is another I'd be interested in hearing (AP2 -> Octave).

There's just way TOO many frackin' DACs these days !!!!  I wanna hear them all 
redface.gif
Maybe I need to setup Dacaholics Anon . . . .  hmmm, I think I could drum up some membership here at HF.

The first standalone DAC I ever remember hearing directly was a friend's Theta waaaaayyyy back in the day (late 80s or early 90s??). DS Pre ??? Into a Classe Audio amp. Can't believe I just bought a DAC designed by the same guy in 2012. Hey Mike, we must BOTH be gettin' old . . . hope you've cleaned the wax out 
wink.gif

The first integrated DAC I heard was the original Sony CD player in 83 (?), I think one of the first ones in a retail shop in OZ.
Kept me listening to LPs for the next decade or 2 . . . 

Cheers,

Raksadacoholic

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #459 of 7,157
Thanks AiDee. I enjoyed reading your Minimax / Bifrost / StageDAC comparo.

That was a real good review. It didn't seem so long ago too. But we wouldn't have guessed, judging by the amount of new DACs which have been launched since the BiFrost.

AiDee. Will you get some new gear and treat us to more quality reading already?! :) Please?

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #461 of 7,157
Cheers John 
normal_smile .gif
But there's my sanity to think of. And wife-factor. She thinks I already spend too much time/money on all this.

A Bifrost - Gungnir - statement comparison is a tempting thought though...
Quote:
Will you get some new gear and treat us to more quality reading already?! 
smily_headphones1.gif
Please?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #463 of 7,157
Oct 18, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #464 of 7,157
OK. Finally Gungnir in the house and hooked to Mjolnir and HE-6. I wouldn't say it's lean at all. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #465 of 7,157
Well, here's a quick comparison of three apps (iPhone 4S) with pink noise generated into T1 phones.

These are averaged figures taken over at least 30 seconds:

TestProVol - 80.4dBA
dB Meter Pro - 84-85 dBA
SPLnFFT - 90.1 dBA

Finally, the 'gold standard', my cheap Digitech SPL meter showed 74.1-74.5 dBA both pre- and post- the above readings.

So no - these apps are not 'accurate'.

That said, all three claim they can be calibrated. Even lab-grade equipment needs constant re-calibration, as my wife (who works with uber-expensive medical equipment) reminded me the other day.

The point is not to trust any of these apps - nor a cheap, uncalibrated SPL meter like mine - as reporting accurate SPL levels.

For our purposes (listening tests in a review/comparison setting), we don't need to know whether the levels are accurate, only that given the same input signal to the same headphone measured in the same position with the 'same' ambient noise level, the reading will be "the same" (are repeatable) within some reasonable tolerance.

My Digitech achieves this. Do these? What I plan to do is adjust these apps to match the Digitech, and check how 'stable' they are over a day or two. I will report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back