Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 15, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,856 of 7,161
Just one question, does it click every time or just few times between songs when I connect Gungnir/Gumby to my computer through USB?
Thanks!

Only when sampling rate is changed or you sleep/ awake the computer.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #3,858 of 7,161
So it won't click when I play 10 songs from the same album?
Thanks a lot.

Assuming you have all 10 songs in the same bit rate / sample rate, no it won't click.

Oct 15, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #3,859 of 7,161
Oct 16, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #3,860 of 7,161
The DAC should only "click" when the sample frequency changes from one track to another.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #3,862 of 7,161
  I assume there is some delay too when switching sample rates? Is the clicking obnoxiously loud? I skip through tracks with different sample rates a lot so that could be a small inconvenience.

Nope. Switching sample rates is instant. The only difference between a non-relayed DAC like the internal sound card and the Gumby is the click noise which is only as loud as you pushing the retractable pen.

Oct 16, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #3,863 of 7,161
  The DAC should only "click" when the sample frequency changes from one track to another.

It will click when your connected computer boots, or goes to sleep or wakes up. Though from Gumby's perspective these events probably look like a sample rate change.

Oct 19, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,864 of 7,161
Quick question - is it worth it to get Gumby over Bimby in a purely single-ended setup (I'd love to go balanced but absolutely everything I have is single-ended)? My amp is a Lyr 2.

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #3,865 of 7,161
While I can't answer your question exactly, I had Lyr 2 and Bimby and upgraded to Yggy.
The change was much more subtle than either when I swapped Lyr 2 with Mjolnir 2 SE and or when I then went to Balanced. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3,866 of 7,161
The Gumby is a mighty fine DAC, balanced or single ended. Whether or not it's worth the added cost to you will of course depend on your ears, your equipment, and how important this stuff is to you. If you can swing it, I'd say go for it.

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #3,867 of 7,161
  While I can't answer your question exactly, I had Lyr 2 and Bimby and upgraded to Yggy.
The change was much more subtle than either when I swapped Lyr 2 with Mjolnir 2 SE and or when I then went to Balanced. 

Was it a worthy improvement to go from Lyr 2 to Mjolnir? And from Single End to Balanced?

Oct 20, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #3,868 of 7,161
The Gumby is a mighty fine DAC, balanced or single ended. Whether or not it's worth the added cost to you will of course depend on your ears, your equipment, and how important this stuff is to you. If you can swing it, I'd say go for it.

The question is how much finer is it compared to the bimby in a single ended setup, probably hard to answer :) I don't expect it to be twice as good but at least would need an audible improvement for me to jump. Or I might just jump if I get too impatient :D

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #3,870 of 7,161

Was it a worthy improvement to go from Lyr 2 to Mjolnir? And from Single End to Balanced?

Absolutely. Mjolnir 2 has much lower floor noise, somewhat wider sound stage. Not having to work as hard is a blessing for power hungry HPs.

But my first foray into balanced was really eye & ear opening. It doesn't seem this way for every song but for some I couldn't believe the A/B difference. My very first listen and comparison showed how much more spacious and glowing the music is when each side is uncoupled completely from the other. 
Part of this may be up to the Yggy though, when I A/B with SE vs Bal I had balanced all the way back to the DAC. Part of it may be more tube separation, and minute differences in tube signatures influencing the gaps. 

TL/DR: These were each very worthy improvements!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back