Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 10, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3,811 of 7,168
The Status of Gungnir is finally updated! I really look forward for my unit to arrive.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #3,812 of 7,168
My Gumby came in earlier this week and I have given it some time to warm up. Connected via Balanced XLR to my Mjolnir 2 with a set of Electro Harmonix 6922s into my LCD2s (also balanced), I loaded up Spotify and began to listen to Thank You Scientist's "Mr Invisible". I didn't immediately notice a huge difference between the Bimby and the Gumby, until on a whim, I decided to load up Tidal Hifi and play the same track.

It was the first time I ever heard a noticeable difference between Tidal Hifi and Spotify premium. The difference was night and day. Highs became much more pronounced and the treble sparkle I was previously missing and trying to EQ back into the songs suddenly appeared. Clarity improved significantly, as did my overall enjoyment of the music. I was considering cancelling my Tidal subscription since I hadn't heard much difference over Spotify. Needless to say, that won't be happening now. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Forgive me if my descriptions aren't as good as they could be. I'm relatively new to this hobby and still getting the hang of giving good impressions.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #3,813 of 7,168
Originally Posted by NoobasaurusWrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It was the first time I ever heard a noticeable difference between Tidal Hifi and Spotify premium. The difference was night and day. Highs became much more pronounced and the treble sparkle I was previously missing and trying to EQ back into the songs suddenly appeared. Clarity improved significantly, as did my overall enjoyment of the music. I was considering cancelling my Tidal subscription since I hadn't heard much difference over Spotify. Needless to say, that won't be happening now. Couldn't be happier with the purchase

IMO, I hated that about Tidal. Tidal somehow EQd the treble to sound unnaturally bright. I prefer hearing Spotify through Fidelify which has realistic treble sound than Tidal.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #3,814 of 7,168

IMO, I hated that about Tidal. Tidal somehow EQd the treble to sound unnaturally bright. I prefer hearing Spotify through Fidelify which has realistic treble sound than Tidal.

Interesting. Your note piqued my curiosity and I decided to test the song between Spotify Premium, Apple Music, and Tidal in 20 second chunks. I found Apple Music and Tidal to be closest in sound, with Spotify lagging behind and sounding quite veiled compared to the other 2. The only EQ I apply is via my sound card's driver via optical out. I would check some straight from CD FLAC rips if I had them, but alas...

Edit: I did the same test using a FLAC rip of another CD I had laying around and found the same results. Tidal Hifi was identical, of course, with Apple being just behind it and Spotify trailing with a similar veiled sound to the other test I did. Hmm. Maybe I'll save myself $10/mo there instead.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3,815 of 7,168
I just got the email that my freshly upgraded Gumby is on its way to me! It spent exactly one week at Schiit receiving the upgrade to multi bit, I can't wait to hear how it sounds now.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,816 of 7,168
I just got the email that my freshly upgraded Gumby is on its way to me! It spent exactly one week at Schiit receiving the upgrade to multi bit, I can't wait to hear how it sounds now.

You won't be disappointed. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I had never heard anything as revealing as the Gumby previously, even compared to Schiit's other Multibit offerings. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #3,817 of 7,168
I got a chance to listen to Modi Multibit, to me it sounded very spacious and relax, but lack the tonal density and details of the saber chip dac I have. Would the Gungnir Multibit move me in that direction of increasing the tonal details of instrument, while keeping that relax spaciousness that is very pleasing to the ears.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #3,818 of 7,168
I got a chance to listen to Modi Multibit, to me it sounded very spacious and relax, but lack the tonal density and details of the saber chip dac I have. Would the Gungnir Multibit move me in that direction of increasing the tonal details of instrument, while keeping that relax spaciousness that is very pleasing to the ears.

In my brief experiences, yes, but it's not a dramatic shift depending on your ESS DAC. The Gumby has provided noticeable improvements over my X-Sabre, but it's not night and day.

What is your current DAC?

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #3,819 of 7,168

You have to step up to Yggy for that.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #3,820 of 7,168
I've had my upgraded Gungnir Multi-bit since Friday, and can say that it sounds more natural after having listened all weekend. At first it sounded a bit harsh, but now that it has been on for a few days, it sounds great, much better than before the upgrade. One thing that struck me right away is that now it has a boot up sequence before it is ready to produce sound. The "get better gear" light flashes for several seconds before the source button works, etc... I don't remember reading about that from anyone else's account online. I am very happy with my decision to upgrade, I now  have a more organic and spacious sounding DAC.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #3,821 of 7,168

The "get better gear" light flashes for several seconds before the source button works, etc... I don't remember reading about that from anyone else's account online. 

Schiit's Multibit dacs require a few seconds to "warm up" before it actually switches on. The Gumby flashes the get-better-gear light as you said, and the Bimby and Modibit both cycle their input lights. What you are experiencing is normal. Glad you like it!

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #3,822 of 7,168

In my opinion - yes, the gungnir MB would move you in that direction.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #3,823 of 7,168
Disappointingly, I don't think I will get my Gumby this week... Mark said he hasn't heard back from Schiit about his order so it will probably be a couple of weeks still 
triportsad.gif
. Seems to be the same story with the Ether Flows I was planning on getting them at the end of this week. Being impatient is such a pain sometimes! 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #3,824 of 7,168
  Disappointingly, I don't think I will get my Gumby this week... Mark said he hasn't heard back from Schiit about his order so it will probably be a couple of weeks still 
triportsad.gif
. Seems to be the same story with the Ether Flows I was planning on getting them at the end of this week. Being impatient is such a pain sometimes! 
rolleyes.gif

I have ordered a couple of backordered items from them in the past. They tend to send an email on the day that its shipped separate from the order. 

Good to know about the Ethers too. Those are next on my list once I have the cash.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #3,825 of 7,168

I have ordered a couple of backordered items from them in the past. They tend to send an email on the day that its shipped separate from the order. 

Good to know about the Ethers too. Those are next on my list once I have the cash.

Well I am waiting for them to come to the distributor in the UK so I suspect I won't get an email when the are shipped 
tongue.gif
. Once again same story with the Ether Flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back