Schiit Gungnir DAC
Jan 23, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,197 of 7,161
I invited some Headfiers over to my place last weekend. We did extensive A/Bing of GMB and Yiggy on my system: HTPC source (JRiver/FLAC files from NAS; TIDAL HIFI, etc.) > DAC > NAIM SuperNait2 amp > Dynaudio Focus 260 speakers. 

The differences between the two were clear on such a resolving system. 

(SE output was used in each case.)

The Yiggy clearly...
-Was more resolving
-Was more nuanced
-Offered more insight and detail into the music
-Offered better "black" levels / lower noise
-Perhaps a tad better imaging
-Offers a detailed, yet non-fatiguing and addictive sound

The GMB...
-Offers less detail
-Sounds a tad "warmer" than Yiggy
-Is cheaper
-Has a more manageable footprint
-Is available in black

Other thoughts:
-I too wondered how much of Yiggy's advantages come down to its USB 3 implementation. 
-I prefer either to the Audio-GD 19 (10th Anniversary edition)
-Other DACs that fall in between the two GMB and Yiggy price points that still may be strong competitors: Ayre CODEX and Chord 2Qute
-By the time you spend $1250 on the GMB, what's another $800 for the Yiggy? 
-In hindsight, I still think the Yiggy is the one I want. It is addictive.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #3,198 of 7,161
Speaking of which, will the GMB ever get upgrades to USB gen 3? I live overseas and am holding off buying waiting for the GMB to get this 'meaningful upgrade', since it will be a hassle to get it now and then having to send it back to the States just to get the USB upgraded once it's announced.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,199 of 7,161
Yes the USB Gen 3 will be available for the Gumby as an upgrade once Schiit secures a larger quantity of USB Gen 3 boards. Right now the quantity at hand are being reserved for the Yggy. When that will be, I don't know.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #3,201 of 7,161
By the way, the word "addictive" to describe the Yggy keeps popping up which has me leaning to buy that DAC.

Having moved from a bifrost/lyr2 stack to a gumby/mj2 stack I can tell ya the multibit platform is very addicting. Where as I enjoyed listening to the bf uber/lyr2, I am completly addicted to the gb/mj2. I can't get enough.

My music collection sounds completly different. I hear stuff I never knew was there. My old favorites that I have listened to for years are revealing new details.

Prior to getting the new stack, I never understood the benefits of a good dac and the impact it could play. But spending time here, and other forums, I kept seeing people list the upgrade path and impact as headphone>dac>amp. I now get it.

What ever one you end up with, you will not regret it.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #3,202 of 7,161
Speaking of which, will the GMB ever get upgrades to USB gen 3? 

I thought either Jason or Mike said USB 3 is reserved for the Yggy.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #3,203 of 7,161
  I thought either Jason or Mike said USB 3 is reserved for the Yggy.

Well here's to hoping that it trickles down just like the multibit thing did ... 

They also said Gungnir would be fully upgradeable and they would do so when 'meaningful upgrades' present themselves, certainly hoping that USB 3 is a meaningful upgrade ... 

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,205 of 7,161
I'm going to speculate the main difference between the two is the use of the USB Gen 2 on the Gumby vs USB Gen 3 on the Yggy.

Good point!

I have tried my Gumby with a Stello U3 USB/spdif converter and it totally blew the USB gen 2 out of the water!!! The sound via USB gen 2 was dull and boring and the soundstage a lot smaller than via the Stello U3.

The gen 2 USB is not bad but the Stello U3 is just a totally different beast!

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #3,206 of 7,161
I have been looking for an "outboard" USB/spdif for a while and have just settled for a Yellowtec PUC Lite. The Yellowtec should be better than the Stello U3 and even better than the Audiophilleo + purepower.

Only problem is that Yellowtec ONLY has AES output. But a simple XLR to RCA (or BNC) cable should do the trick. I contacted Schiit about it and Nick T. replied: "I  would recommend using the Neutrik or similar balance to single ended transformer to get the impedance correct.

Otherwise it should work."

Anyone tried the Yellowtec???

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,207 of 7,161
  I have been looking for an "outboard" USB/spdif for a while and have just settled for a Yellowtec PUC Lite. 

I'm using a wyred4sound link + wyrd.  Loving the sound.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #3,209 of 7,161

Having moved from a bifrost/lyr2 stack to a gumby/mj2 stack I can tell ya the multibit platform is very addicting. Where as I enjoyed listening to the bf uber/lyr2, I am completly addicted to the gb/mj2. I can't get enough.

My music collection sounds completly different. I hear stuff I never knew was there. My old favorites that I have listened to for years are revealing new details.

Prior to getting the new stack, I never understood the benefits of a good dac and the impact it could play. But spending time here, and other forums, I kept seeing people list the upgrade path and impact as headphone>dac>amp. I now get it.

What ever one you end up with, you will not regret it.

I have followed a similar path and arrived at the same conclusion about the importance of the DAC in my rig.

My progression was:  UberBi - Gungnir - GMB.  Every step improved the SQ.  The last one improved it so much that I realized the DAC plays a primary role in the rig vs. the amplifier.  I mean, I already had decent amps, but the MB upgrade made everything sound much better.  By much better, I mean more instrument clarity and resolution / lower floor / much better sound stage.

Net - the music sounds more realistic.

However, based on the Yggr posts, it may be time to take the next (final) step...

In the meantime, I am really enjoying my music.  That's what it is about.  
L3000.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,210 of 7,161

I have followed a similar path and arrived at the same conclusion about the importance of the DAC in my rig.

My progression was:  UberBi - Gungnir - GMB.  Every step improved the SQ.  The last one improved it so much that I realized the DAC plays a primary role in the rig vs. the amplifier.  I mean, I already had decent amps, but the MB upgrade made everything sound much better.  By much better, I mean more instrument clarity and resolution / lower floor / much better sound stage.

Net - the music sounds more realistic.

However, based on the Yggr posts, it may be time to take the next (final) step...

In the meantime, I am really enjoying my music.  That's what it is about.  
L3000.gif

Yep. I cuncur. Mines on order..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back