Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 25, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #2,146 of 7,161
  Exciting day for me. Just receive Gungnir Multibit, my first Schiit. It's been 2.5 hrs connected to Soloist > LCD2 r2. Received Ether too, but was disappointed with the quality control. Trying to get things sorted out. 
mad.gif

Can't wait to hear after burn-in sound to see how Gungnir Multibit perform.  

What was the quality control issue?

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #2,147 of 7,161
Do u immediately notice the R2R difference? More realistic timbre, tones and cymbals sounding like real cymbals? Say yes and I might just say good bye to Sabre for good.

Friend- I'll save you the wait, go multibit and never look back.

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #2,150 of 7,161
Do u immediately notice the R2R difference? More realistic timbre, tones and cymbals sounding like real cymbals? Say yes and I might just say good bye to Sabre for good.

Well, I'm going to be a little cautious with words after an hour of warm up and an hour of listening.... but yes, I do believe I heard a sort of meta-level difference between R2R and D-S. Whether that's new toy syndrome, the cumulative effect of years of Mike Moffat posts, or a bona fide "R2R Difference(R)" will require more listening.

Tonight.

The minute I get home.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #2,151 of 7,161

Friend- I'll save you the wait, go multibit and never look back.

I'm pretty certain I'll be joining the club soon. Question is which one. GMB or Audio GD Dac 19 or the coming Metrum Musette (though that's likely to cost as much as the Yggy which is out of my reach)

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #2,152 of 7,161
The GMB could potentially be a double edged sword - so far ahead of DS DACs that it's an incredible improvement, but in the process making DS DACs immediately noticeably inferior.

As someone who is keeping a delta-sigma DAC in my secondary system, I'm not sure how I feel about this!

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #2,154 of 7,161

Send me one too, I am thinking about buying an Ether.  Can't wait for your impressions of Ether on the Gungnir MB.

Send me three, please 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,155 of 7,161
GMB upgrade currently waiting for me to pickup at the Fedex store tonight. I am trying to convince them to take the box to the Dominos across the street and to keep it next to the pizza ovens so I can get a head start on the warm up time.

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2,156 of 7,161
Delivery a day early
eek.gif

Just checked mine - I missed it
frown.gif

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #2,159 of 7,161

I'm pretty certain I'll be joining the club soon. Question is which one. GMB or Audio GD Dac 19 or the coming Metrum Musette (though that's likely to cost as much as the Yggy which is out of my reach)

It's all speculation, but I think that the Musette will be designed to sound rather liquid (or put negatively: dynamically laid-back, unexciting). Cees Ruijtenberg deliberately aims for such a turntable sound. I had the Metrum Octave for a month but its character annoyed me so much that I considered switching DACs already. There was just no R2R stuff in this price range that would do better in this regard. Fortunately, the GMB came out. If you prefer liquidity, the Musette might be worth a shot though. Just one more month to wait...

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #2,160 of 7,161

IMO, the Schiit Wyrd will do more than a Jitterbug. 

My GMB will be here tomorrow, but my Wyrd got here today, so I tried it with my TEAC UD-301 DAC. It did make a difference with the TEAC, blacker background on needle drop FLAC's, slighlty improved the overall clarity. Almost like cleaning your car windows inside and out, everything is crisp and clear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back