Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 21, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #781 of 2,799
  I was HOPING the same but with everyone stating burn in is complete within 4 hours I am not holding out much hope, I think it is part of the sound signature,  Now depending on system it is just as likely to be smoothed over.....................But my system sounds great and I am not switching other components to accommodate smoothing something new.

Now if anyone wants to chime in with a new burn in figure I am all ears..................So far its like ghost town on that question, I even emailed Schiit last evening so we will see if they respond

From my understanding, every time the Bimby is turned on it's DAC requires a certain amount of warm up time to stabilize and reach it's optimal operating temperature. I believe the 4 hour mark that's been mentioned is for the first time the Bimby is turned on, after that the time should be less but it will still take a certain amount of time to reach it's optimal operating temperature. This isn't necessarily the same thing as what people talk about as burn-in for all the components though so I wouldn't rule out potential subtle changes after the 4 hour mark. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #782 of 2,799
Can someone explain what's happening internally when the unit is powered on and it cycles through the inputs?  I swear I read it somewhere but I searched this thread, the FAQ, and googled it best I could, but drew blanks.

Thanks.

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #783 of 2,799

From my understanding, every time the Bimby is turned on it's DAC requires a certain amount of warm up time to stabilize and reach it's optimal operating temperature. I believe the 4 hour mark that's been mentioned is for the first time the Bimby is turned on, after that the time should be less but it will still take a certain amount of time to reach it's optimal operating temperature. This isn't necessarily the same thing as what people talk about as burn-in for all the components though so I wouldn't rule out potential subtle changes after the 4 hour mark. 

I leave my Bimby on all the time so this 4 hour thing doesn't affect me, but perhaps Jason can comment on whether this is true, that there is an optimal operating temperature that has to be reached? 

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #784 of 2,799
  I leave my Bimby on all the time so this 4 hour thing doesn't affect me, but perhaps Jason can comment on whether this is true, that there is an optimal operating temperature that has to be reached? 

Here's what Mike had to say about it.

Just as all of the old Theta stuff was upgradable, so continues the Bifrost which will be 5 years old next year and far from obsolete.  Bimby warmup for a new unit seems to be 4 hours for 99%.  The sound is the megacombo burrito filter and the best 16 bit DACs ever adapted to audio.  Enjoy!

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #785 of 2,799

Here's what Mike had to say about it.

Thank you for posting that. I just leave mine on all the time as I am too lazy to keep turning it on and off. 
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #786 of 2,799
I leave my Bifrost on all the time.  With the switch on the back, it tells me it prefers to stay on, just like my clock radio.  Schiit approves, says it's fine to leave it on.
Spec sheet says power consumption is 12 watts.  That's not much.  And I don't know, but when there's no signal passing through, perhaps the power consumption is even lower.  (EE's, can you confirm that?)

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #787 of 2,799

Thank you for posting that. I just leave mine on all the time as I am too lazy to keep turning it on and off. 
wink.gif

Yeah, I just leave my Bimby on all the time as well. I turn on the Asgard 2 in the morning if I'm going to be home or when I get home from work then turn it off before I go to bed. I'd prefer not to turn the Asgard 2 off but it being class A I figure it's better to.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #788 of 2,799
Here's the final word:

Just turn it on and leave it on for best results. Same for any other DAC on the planet.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #790 of 2,799
Oct 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #792 of 2,799

I think thats a UL safety requirement, or something similar.

I don't know, I've got PC PSUs and at least one NAS that lack On/Off switches.

I thought that I had read a post at one time from Jason or Baldr where you could get away with no switch back in the 90's, but the rules had changed since then. Or maybe it was a legal thing. Or maybe I randomly hear voices telling me to post jibberish. Could be either or all.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #793 of 2,799
  With my HE-560's yes, I'm noticing more of an edge than before (more fatiguing) ...but only on poorly mastered recordings. On the really well-done stuff it sounds out of this world great. I've had mine running for about 5 days straight. Just like you I was looking at changing other things in the chain, but I actually loved everything else prior to Multi Bit. Maybe a change of tubes would match better with the Bimby (if you're using a tube amp). 

Well, it's probably a case of system mismatch, here. Your MHDT DAC is probably of the (very) warm type, with very smooth highs (and glossed over details) that help taming the HE-560's brightness.

If you haven't already done so, get the Focus-A pads, they will help with the 560's brightness. You might then find the Multifrost just right and the MHDT too warm.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #794 of 2,799

Well, it's probably a case of system mismatch, here. Your MHDT DAC is probably of the (very) warm type, with very smooth highs (and glossed over details) that help taming the HE-560's brightness.

If you haven't already done so, get the Focus-A pads, they will help with the 560's brightness. You might then find the Multifrost just right and the MHDT too warm.

I think you meant to reply to someone else. :)

Anyways, my dac prior to the Bimby was the Bifrost Uber. I do use the Focus A pads, as well as some fantastic Voskhod rockets for tubes in the Lyr 2. Some wamer tubes would definitely help bring back some body and tame the treble. 

I have to say that the Bimby, Vali and HD600 are a wonderful match though. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #795 of 2,799
  I think you meant to reply to someone else. :)

Anyways, my dac prior to the Bimby was the Bifrost Uber. I do use the Focus A pads, as well as some fantastic Voskhod rockets for tubes in the Lyr 2. Some wamer tubes would definitely help bring back some body and tame the treble. 

I have to say that the Bimby, Vali and HD600 are a wonderful match though. 

That is my exact living room system.  It's glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back