Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Oct 5, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #241 of 2,799
  I just broke out the multi-meter. I measured the resistance between my laptop's headphone jack ground and its USB Connected Bifrost's audio ground (at the RCA jacks) and it came in at around 60 Ohms. That's odd I expected it to be much lower without isolation, however, I wouldn't call this galvanic isolation as that would be more like an open circuit. I double checked the same measurement at my laptop's HDMI jack shield.

Thanks.

The isolation isn't terribly important. Just trying to decide if I'll need (or want) to use the Wryd (or something similar like the Regen or iUSB3) to keep USB as clean as possible.

Would use the optical input but my PC doesn't playback stuff at 88 and 176khz over digital out for some reason.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #243 of 2,799

Thanks.

The isolation isn't terribly important. Just trying to decide if I'll need (or want) to use the Wryd (or something similar like the Regen or iUSB3) to keep USB as clean as possible.

Would use the optical input but my PC doesn't playback stuff at 88 and 176khz over digital out for some reason.

They say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." If you don't have any ground loop issues, why mess around with another gadget? My chain from laptop to headhones is dead silent, I have a Bifrost in there via USB.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #244 of 2,799
  They say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." If you don't have any ground loop issues, why mess around with another gadget? My chain from laptop to headhones is dead silent, I have a Bifrost in there via USB.

Agreed.

Not sure I need any USB add-ons. PC is already fanless with a constant, clean 5V to the USB ports.

But, after comparing several cheap cables with and without ferritte cores (that I added), I could hear a difference. Made me wonder how much improvement I'd get by adding a bit more.

Has to be cost effective for me though and the MB Bifrost should do much better than USB tweaks that could quickly add up.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #245 of 2,799

Agreed.

Not sure I need any USB add-ons. PC is already fanless with a constant, clean 5V to the USB ports.

But, after comparing several cheap cables with and without ferritte cores (that I added), I could hear a difference. Made me wonder how much improvement I'd get by adding a bit more.

Has to be cost effective for me though and the MB Bifrost should do much better than USB tweaks that could quickly add up.

Hmmm, I think it's time for me to hit the Schiit....Good luck in the chase, one day they'll be nothing left to do but listen.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #246 of 2,799
Can anyone enlighten me on the audio benefits of Gen 3 USB? Thanks! -- F

Only thing I can think of is lower latancy due to the higher data transfer rate. This maintains a better audio stream

It has 900mA vs 500mA, but I don't this this would affect anything when using a powered device.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #247 of 2,799
  Hmmm, I think it's time for me to hit the Schiit....Good luck in the chase, one day they'll be nothing left to do but listen.

I feel like I'm there already. I just don't want to count my luck on a 90's DAC that is almost as old as I am. I am hoping the next iteration of the Bifrost has the sauce of the Gumby. I will be waiting anxiously this week for a shipment notification.

For now though, I think Jason said it right in a post on the "super audio butt buddies forum" that the filter is what gives the Theta and multi-bit Schiit the uncanny ability to portray space, separation, and ambient cues. My money says that this Bifrost MB will kill the DAC game. At even a lower price point than the DAC-19 I can't see why not.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #248 of 2,799
Only thing I can think of is lower latancy due to the higher data transfer rate. This maintains a better audio stream

Thanks, but that's confusing. Latency and transfer rate are independent variables. A truck carrying a shipping container full of 1TB drives has very high latency, but a very high transfer rate. Either the rate is enough for the audio stream, or it is not. The highest resolution I use is 192/24 PCM, which is around 5Mb/s. Typical USB 2.0 real-world transfer rates are over 200Mb/s. Am I missing something?

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #249 of 2,799

It has 900mA vs 500mA, but I don't this this would affect anything when using a powered device.

I think you are referring to USB 3.0, not Schiit's 3rd generation of it's USB input.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #250 of 2,799
S/PDIF > USB

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #251 of 2,799
Does anyone think the Wyrd would improve the sound from the MB Bifrost?

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #252 of 2,799
^ YMMV

In the Gungnir thread, people were reporting huge sound difference with Wyrd. I have one and used it, but instead went back to just an AmazonBasics cable. I'm happy with the $7 cable, or whatever it costs on a day-to-day basis.

NOTE: I've also read that my Mac mini is a good source for USB - I don't know. If you have the funds, why not try it?

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #253 of 2,799
The Multi Bit Here !!!!!!!!!!
atsmile.gif

First Impressions... ooh my.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #255 of 2,799

Users who are viewing this thread

Back