Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Mar 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #2,596 of 3,339
#12 on the 'interest list'.
I may not wait for the Statement, either.
I may flip my Bifrost now, and then flip the Gungnir when the Statement is available.
Silly, really given the performance of the Bifrost and 'rent' I'll end up paying.
Still, it is hard to resist.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #2,600 of 3,339
Excuse my ignorance, but I am a bit confused by the "balanced only" character of the Mjolnir.

I am aware that there are only 4-pin and dual 3-pin outputs, but couldn't an adapter ending with a 1/4" female connector allow the use of unbalanced headphones? Couldn't a 1/4" socket have been implemented on the amplifier by bridging it with one of the other outputs?

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #2,601 of 3,339

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but I am a bit confused by the "balanced only" character of the Mjolnir.

I am aware that there are only 4-pin and dual 3-pin outputs, but couldn't an adapter ending with a 1/4" female connector allow the use of unbalanced headphones? Couldn't a 1/4" socket have been implemented on the amplifier by bridging it with one of the other outputs?

One word: boom. (Well, actually not 'boom,' but you'll trigger the internal protection.)

It's a circlotron, not two of the same gain stages per channel. It's inherently balanced. It cannot be unbalanced. If you have time, look up "cross-shunt push-pull topology."

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2,602 of 3,339

Quote:
One word: boom. (Well, actually not 'boom,' but you'll trigger the internal protection.)

It's a circlotron, not two of the same gain stages per channel. It's inherently balanced. It cannot be unbalanced. If you have time, look up "cross-shunt push-pull topology."

Nothing but pure balance. That's what I like to hear. 
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,603 of 3,339
This stuff is tempting. It must be karma that I just had my DT1350's re-wired to balanced! :D

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #2,604 of 3,339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Alright, thank you for the clarification.

I'm glad to see that this amp isn't designed for versatility. To me, this means that the efforts were concentrated on the SQ and that $750 will go much further than usual.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #2,605 of 3,339
Hooray for more Schiit stuff.

I, for one, am glad to see that the next DAC contains some of the same parts as the Bifrost (namely, same DAC chip, just now two of them - obviously - for balanced, and same USB receiver), since I wasn't planning on springing for the mid-level and will be waiting for statement. Although I must admit Adapticlock sounds damned intriguing. Anyway, a nice consolation prize for those of us sitting on our Bifrosts, it really ISN'T an insta-outdated "doorstop" after all! Ha.

Congrats to all the pre-orderers. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2,606 of 3,339
No pre-orders this time. Just an interest list. I assume we'll be contacted when there is a unit ready for our interest list position.

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #2,607 of 3,339
OH, COME ON!

At first Schiit have been talking about their statement DAC that it will cost $900-$1000
....half a year later they were saying that it will cost around $1200

and now??

"If you’re looking at spending at least 2X the price of a Gungnir,"

they must be kidding.
now they say that it will cost MORE THAN $1500 ?

if they continue in this manner, i believe that by august they will tell us that it will cost $2000

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #2,608 of 3,339
Mm, I think you're reading too much into that statement. Maybe all they're saying is that Gungir is is competitive up to the 1.5k mark. If you're willing to spend more you might be able to better the Gungir so then you'd be better of waiting for the statement DAC. That doesn't say anything about the actual price of the statement DAC.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #2,609 of 3,339
They are talking exactly about Statement DAC's price. Read carefully.

Mar 30, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #2,610 of 3,339

Quote:
if they continue in this manner, i believe that by august they will tell us that it will cost $2000

Even if that was the case, there is still a very large chunk of the audio universe where a statement *anything* for 2K would be viewed as a screaming bargain. Granted, Schiit isn't Meridian (thankfully), but neither are we talking bargain-basement E-Bay kit. The goalposts keep moving in this whole 1-3K DAC arena - if Schiit are serious about making their mark in that market, they will be throwing a lot of time and money into development. Yulong and Audio-gd arent shy about charging those sorts of prices for the Reference-level kit - why would we expect a US-based manufacturer to be delivering a similar level of performance for half the price ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back