Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Nov 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #1,756 of 3,339
does the bifrost sound better than your cambridge dacmagic?
which DACs sounded better than bifrost and how much did they cost?

The DacMagic shows it's age when compared to the Bifrost, no doubt. It's no contest. As to naming specific dacs that are better than the Bifrost, I would need time with them in my rig. I heard some really nice dacs (some built into cd players) like the one in the Boulder deck Ray Samuels brought that I am confident is leagues beyond the Bifrost, even without hearing it in my own rig. I myself am hoping I can get a similar sound from Schiit's statement dac as the Boulder gave me, so I can save about $24,000. :wink:

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #1,757 of 3,339
As to the "thin" or "bass-shy" comments; with 150 hours listening through both phones and speakers I don't find the Bifrost to be either. It simply adds no mid-bass "warmth" like some other components, no "bloom" in the low bass (and thus no "bloat",) and it doesn't sound "analog" in the sense of rounding off the top end a little or veiling any detail.

In other words, if you enjoy a romantic or beautiful presentation above all, this probably won't be your ideal DAC. If you like clarity, control and detail, I think you'll be happy. You might prefer it with tubes, and do experiment with cables if possible.

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,758 of 3,339
Need some quick/general advice on my setup, as overall I'm fresh off the boat when it comes to head-fi.  I ordered an AKG Q701 this weekend and have decided to pair it with the lyr & bifrost.  My audio sources will be my work laptop (Dell), wife's laptop (Toshiba R835-P56X), and Iphone 3gs.

Have a few questions:

• Do I need to order any other cables/devices with this setup or should I be set with the standard?
  • Was going to order 115V for both lyr & bifrost as I'm in the US, is this correct?
  • On the bifrost there is a +$100 option for USB, do I need to select this so I can interface with the laptops?
  • I saw another pic earlier in this thread where someone was using an Iphone/Ipod doc before feeding the bifrost.  Do you have a suggestion on what I should get or what that was?

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #1,759 of 3,339
The Lyr is excellent pairing with the 701, congrats!

1. you will need a digital cable from your source to the BiFrost, and an RCA interconnect to connect it to the Lyr. I don't know what they come with or what your plan is for the digital connection
2. yes
3. yes unless your laptop has toslink, which some do
4. these's a few options from Pure, Akai, Cambridge, Wadia, ALO etc. starting at around $100 for the Pure i20

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #1,760 of 3,339

Quote:
Moved my Schiit to the Family Room.  

Quote:
The Lyr is excellent pairing with the 701, congrats!

1. you will need a digital cable from your source to the BiFrost, and an RCA interconnect to connect it to the Lyr. I don't know what they come with or what your plan is for the digital connection
2. yes
3. yes unless your laptop has toslink, which some do
4. these's a few options from Pure, Akai, Cambridge, Wadia, ALO etc. starting at around $100 for the Pure i20

Thanks for the awesome advice!  Do you have any preferences on your answer question # 4?  The picture above I assume is the Pure i20 which seems to have decent reviews.  From there I can get a toslink cable to connect to the bifrost and am all set.

On your answer to # 1 "you will need a digital cable from your source to the BiFrost".  How does this work for the laptops that do not have a toslink port?  Is it digital input at one end and USB on the other? Something along the lines of this:

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-Impulse-Cable-performance-cable/dp/B003WRANYQ/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,761 of 3,339

Quote:

Thanks for the awesome advice!  Do you have any preferences on your answer question # 4?  The picture above I assume is the Pure i20 which seems to have decent reviews.  From there I can get a toslink cable to connect to the bifrost and am all set.

I haven't heard the Pure but the rest seem to be 2 - 3 times as much $; I would go with a coaxial cable personally from the Pure to the Bifrost rather than toslink

On your answer to # 1 "you will need a digital cable from your source to the BiFrost".  How does this work for the laptops that do not have a toslink port?  Is it digital input at one end and USB on the other? Something along the lines of this:

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-Impulse-Cable-performance-cable/dp/B003WRANYQ/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Some laptops have a combo jack for headphone and toslink, like Macbooks or my HP Tx series. If not get the USB option with the Bifrost and that Nuforce cable will be fine

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #1,762 of 3,339
This machine gets your bits delivered as they were recorded. No upsampling tricks etc. The sound is anything BUT thin. If you listen to mastered in the early 80's pop CDs, they will make your ears bleed just as they did back then. If you listen to well-done digital age recordings they will wow you. 

DACs are one of the more subtle contributors to the overall shape of a sound IMO. Your source is, of course, first and foremost. Next, your phones/speakers. Next the Amplifier. And if it's a tube amp, you have a bag of snakes full of further variables. Then, DAC, and lastly cables. 

Once you've got a batch of state of the art stuff, and are arguing subtleties that non-insane people wouldn't notice, any change in the ecosystem might be revealing things you don't like about any other component. It's not always right to blame the new guy in the signal chain.

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #1,763 of 3,339

Quote:

I have a Toshiba laptop as well.  Just purchase a Mini-to-TOSLINK optical cable (like this: http://www.amazon.com/6ft-Toslink-Mini-Cable/dp/B000FMXKC8 ) and plug the mini end into your headphone jack.  Select "Digital Out" as your playback device and you should be good to go.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The cable link I listed above was just for an example.  I'm sure there are may quality Optical Cables out there.  I got mine from here: http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,764 of 3,339

Quote:
I have a Toshiba laptop as well.  Just purchase a Mini-to-TOSLINK optical cable (like this: http://www.amazon.com/6ft-Toslink-Mini-Cable/dp/B000FMXKC8 ) and plug the mini end into your headphone jack.  Select "Digital Out" as your playback device and you should be good to go.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - The cable link I listed above was just for an example.  I'm sure there are may quality Optical Cables out there.  I got mine from here: http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Thanks but now I'm really confused!  So do I not need a bifrost with the +$100 USB option then if I get the Mini-to-toslink cable?  Seems like a good deal when you spend $6 on a cable and save the $100 option.  Is there no downgrade in data transfer by going this route?  Sorry for all the basic questions but want to make sure I'm making the most informed decisions!
gs1000.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,765 of 3,339
Do all Toshiba laptops have the combo jack? Best to check your specs 
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,766 of 3,339

Quote:

Thanks but now I'm really confused!  So do I not need a bifrost with the +$100 USB option then if I get the Mini-to-toslink cable?  Seems like a good deal when you spend $6 on a cable and save the $100 option.  Is there no downgrade in data transfer by going this route?  Sorry for all the basic questions but want to make sure I'm making the most informed decisions!
gs1000.gif

Laptops tend to be equipped with mini-Toslink ports, so he is suggesting that you go with this route because such a cable would allow you to connect to the Bifrost WITHOUT the USB addition option. In the experience of others on this thread, the Toslink output of the iMac et. al sounds worse than Toslink or Coaxial ouputs from elsewhere, as well as USB outputs, and is assumed to be high in "jitter" as a result. Your choice is therefore up to you, obviously - you could try the Toslink output of your respective laptop, and if you decide that the sound quality is acceptable, you can continue to use the Bifrost in such a manner without the USB addition. The Bifrost is designed in such a way that it is modular, meaning it can be added to or altered, so if you do not like the Toslink and Coaxial ouput options available to you sound quality-wise, you can purchase a USB board from Schiit later and install it yourself or have Schiit do so for shipping fees. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #1,767 of 3,339
Here's a link to a current, middle of the road Toshiba laptop. The specs don't mention optical/toslink but it does have HDMI:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=2000013985

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #1,768 of 3,339

Quote:

In the experience of others on this thread, the Toslink output of the iMac et. al sounds worse than Toslink or Coaxial ouputs from elsewhere, as well as USB outputs, and is assumed to be high in "jitter" as a result.

Your choice is therefore up to you, obviously - you could try the Toslink output of your respective laptop, and if you decide that the sound quality is acceptable, you can continue to use the Bifrost in such a manner without the USB addition. The Bifrost is designed in such a way that it is modular, meaning it can be added to or altered, so if you do not like the Toslink and Coaxial ouput options available to you sound quality-wise, you can purchase a USB board from Schiit later and install it yourself or have Schiit do so for shipping fees. 

Just a note on the first sentence above - I believe there are actual measurements showing high jitter from at least some Apple equipment's Toslink outputs; I don't think it's just an assumption.  I personally was happier with the sound through USB, but implementation is extremely important, and upthread I list several reasons why USB may be better for me but not necessarily others.  The folks at Schiit tend to like S/PDIF (which includes Toslink) over USB generally, but again, implementation is important.

There are a some excellent pieces of advice in the past several comments, including (1) Make sure your laptop actually has a Toslink output before basing your system setup on using it; and (2) If it does have Toslink, you can try the Bifrost without USB first, then keep things that way if you're happy with the sound, or go for the USB add option if you aren't.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #1,769 of 3,339
If you want to be sure about connecting your laptops, now and in the future, get the USB option.  

Thats my setup you have pictured and I think the pure i20 is a great bargain especially when compared to the Wadia etc. when looking for a way to ge a digital signal from the iPod/iPhone/iPad. FYI, in addition to giving you audio out &  digital out (optical and coax) it also gives you video out for you iPhone.  Apple wants like $50 just for that connector.  Oh, and it also gives you remote control. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #1,770 of 3,339
Quote:
If you want to be sure about connecting your laptops, now and in the future, get the USB option.  

Thats my setup you have pictured and I think the pure i20 is a great bargain especially when compared to the Wadia etc. when looking for a way to ge a digital signal from the iPod/iPhone/iPad. FYI, in addition to giving you audio out &  digital out (optical and coax) it also gives you video out for you iPhone.  Apple wants like $50 just for that connector.  Oh, and it also gives you remote control. 

That thing is a great deal for sure, I picked one up last week.  Only drawback is the iPod not supporting 24/96+ hi-res stuff, but that's an Apple thing really.  It makes an excellent front-end otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back