Schiit Bifrost or DACMagic Plus?
May 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Naphta

New Head-Fier
My price range is between £300-350 and these two are more or less perfectly inside that region, if anyone has any other suggestions feel free to say so.

But which out of these two is the better DAC? I'll be using optical or coax from my PC.

May 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 51
I would go the BiFrost route. It also has the "potential" for future upgrades, pending the long-term support of Schiit of course.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:
I would go the BiFrost route. It also has the "potential" for future upgrades, pending the long-term support of Schiit of course.

is the BiFrost adaptable to power xlr monitors?

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 51
I have both the ODAC and Bifrost and I can say that they are both very very good DACs especially at their price points

Can't go wrong with either.  CHoose based on your budget

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:
I have both the ODAC and Bifrost and I can say that they are both very very good DACs especially at their price points

Can't go wrong with either.  CHoose based on your budget

Have you tried the ODAC + schitt lyr combi? Would love some feedback on it..

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 51
Quote:
The ODAC does not feature line output.

From the JDS Labs description :

"In Standalone Case - ODAC installed in its own aluminum case. Ready to use with any headphone amplifier (will not directly drive headphones). 3.5mm line output. Powered by included USB cable."

If you don't want to use a 3.5 mm to RCA, you can buy just the assembled board, and run line outputs from the headers on the pcb in whichever case you decide to use it in.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

From the JDS Labs description :

"In Standalone Case - ODAC installed in its own aluminum case. Ready to use with any headphone amplifier (will not directly drive headphones). 3.5mm line output. Powered by included USB cable."

If you don't want to use a 3.5 mm to RCA, you can buy just the assembled board, and run line outputs from the headers on the pcb in whichever case you decide to use it in.

Is there any audio degradation when a 3.5mm to RCA is used to connect the DAC to the amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back