Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
May 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #302 of 467
  Just bought myself a bifrost multibit. Which setting do you guys use for daily -pc-usage. Includes gaming, watching series en listen music. 192/24bit? or 192/16bit?

I just have it output in the file's native format. I tried extensively to test if I could hear improvements from upsampling with multiple DACs and headphones. Sounds completely identical to me. I'd be very surprised if someone could pass a blind test telling the difference between a 16/44.1 file vs a 24/192, even if they were both natively encoded at those bit depths and sample rates.

May 23, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #303 of 467
I just have it output in the file's native format. I tried extensively to test if I could hear improvements from upsampling with multiple DACs and headphones. Sounds completely identical to me. I'd be very surprised if someone could pass a blind test telling the difference between a 16/44.1 file vs a 24/192, even if they were both natively encoded at those bit depths and sample rates.

I have.

May 23, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #304 of 467
Also the Bifrost oversamples everything with its megaburritocombo filtrt anyway. So it doesn't matter if its 44.1 or 48 or whatever. It is all oversampled. I got this straight from Mike Moffat.

May 23, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #305 of 467

Are you saying you hear it in your listening or you took a blind A/B/X test and found that statistically you could discern which files have higher sampling rates and/or bit depths? If the latter, color me extremely impressed. But i suppose this a conversation for a different thread!

May 23, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #307 of 467
Upsamples 2x or 4x or nos if it's 176.4khz or 192khz, the upsampling filters the schiit dac has are great it's better than software upsampling when I compared them and with dithering off because it sounds better.

Oversampling is the delta sigma stuff when they use less bits and approximate the wave form with pluse width modulation. People use the term interchangeably though.

May 23, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #309 of 467
Upsamples 2x or 4x or nos if it's 176.4khz or 192khz, the upsampling filters the schiit dac has are great it's better than software upsampling when I compared them and with dithering off because it sounds better.

Oversampling is the delta sigma stuff when they use less bits and approximate the wave form with pluse width modulation. People use the term interchangeably though.

The upsampling in HQPlayer is better to my ears

May 23, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #310 of 467
The upsampling in HQPlayer is better to my ears

We talked about this before but I read that the hq player sounds better with dsd dacs, it might be the delta sigma part of your 4490 that likes it. The multibit bifrost sounds better with its internal upsampling filters. I may have to try hq player once more with dithering off as I discovered no dithering sounded better with my metrum musette it's upsampled to 352.8khz and 384khz though.

May 23, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #311 of 467
We talked about this before but I read that the hq player sounds better with dsd dacs, it might be the delta sigma part of your 4490 that likes it. The multibit bifrost sounds better with its internal upsampling filters. I may have to try hq player once more with dithering off as I discovered no dithering sounded better with my metrum musette it's upsampled to 352.8khz and 384khz though.

Things are also chain dependent. Synergy etc...

May 23, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #312 of 467

Just FYI, I also get amazing results by running HQPLayer and music files from RAMDisk, using SoftPerfect RAM Disk (the best RAMDisk program apparently).  It uses your RAM as storage, which is much faster than traditional Hard Drive.  Most people seem to get much better results playing music from SSDs anyway, but RAM Disk was a very substantial improvement to HQPlayer, same with lots of people on the computeraudiophile forums.  I get best results putting HQPlayer on one disk, and the music files on another.  But just drag and drop whatever music I want to play at that moment from my laptop HD to the RAM Disk, since it is not big enough to hold all my music.

May 23, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #313 of 467
It sounds best with 16, 44.1 khz

Really?  I was under the impression that, if you are playing a 16-bit audio file, there should be no audible difference between setting DAC output to 16-bit or 24-bit, because the extra 8 bits are just zeros to pad out the word length.   The sample rate should of course be set to match the sample rate of the audio file.

May 23, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #314 of 467
Really?  I was under the impression that, if you are playing a 16-bit audio file, there should be no audible difference between setting DAC output to 16-bit or 24-bit, because the extra 8 bits are just zeros to pad out the word length.   The sample rate should of course be set to match the sample rate of the audio file.

Bifrost Multibit has an internal upsampling that sounds better than the Windows upsampling the files. If you feed the DAC with 192 Khz, you bypass the internal filter and now you're using it in NOS mode. Whether the NOS mode sounds better to you is a matter of personal taste

May 23, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #315 of 467
I've never heard a USB decrappifier but I am intrigued because from the comments of many on this forum they do seem to work.  I think I might buy a Wyrd and hear what all the fuss is about. 

I'm a bit concerned about the need to 'daisy-chain' decrappifiers together though.  Surely if a decrappifier does the job it's supposed to, you only need one of them before your DAC, not a bunch of them?!

Thats what i thought. But apparently not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back