Schiit Bifrost 4490 impressions
Oct 14, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #16 of 467
  My biggest worry is, if the "Comboburrito" filter is really better than the tried-and-tested AKM in-built filters? AKM has been perfecting their DACs for years now. And wondering if bit-perfect is too accurate as to sacrifice sound quality for resolution? AKM doesn't just take into consideration resolution and accuracy but also sound quality and aesthetics too. Any thoughts on this

Ummm Hmm. Here is an interesting read See (Mike Moffat) Baldr's Post 4954 below.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/4950#post_11396780

Mr Moffat is a Legend in the Digital Audio realm and it seems his mission and the other people that worked for years with him on the the combo burrito filter was the fact that the stock filters are the ones that sacrifice sound quality for resolution.  I would say AKM could only dream of having Mike and Dave On their team

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #17 of 467

So you're saying I'd be able to get pretty much the same sound-quality from the iDSD as from a Bifrost Uber+iCan stack?  Good to know!  Thanks!  That pretty much settles it that I'll probably get the iDSD.  The two other choices I'm considering are the Audio-GD NFB-11, and the JDS Labs Element.

Yes the dual TI DSD1793 DACs inside of the iDSD bringing up a really awesome SQ out of the box. To get the same basic SQ for my local station, I got to go over Gusard U12 > Bifrost Uber > micro iCAN. Only with Bit-perfect on iDSD is a different story as explained before.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 467

Yes the dual TI DSD1793 DACs inside of the iDSD bringing up a really awesome SQ out of the box. To get the same basic SQ for my local station, I got to go over Gusard U12 > Bifrost Uber > micro iCAN. Only with Bit-perfect on iDSD is a different story as explained before.

Thanks for the advice!  This pretty much clinches it for me that I'll get the iDSD rather than anything else and won't even bother stacking it with a separate amp :p

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #22 of 467
First impressions: I exchanged the Uber board with the 4490 today and had a chance for a first listen.

Before changing I sampled a Playlist and listened to the Uber, after assembly (without burn-in) I played the same list. Not a scientfic test, just first impressions.

The two definitely sound different! I am a classical music listener, so that was on my playlist. With the 4490 the soundstage really did seem wider and more detailed, yes that was also the feeling when I upgraded to the Uber, but that already was a very good upgrade. It sounds very lively and exciting - also somehow as if a veil was lifted and the highs are clearer. Some brass at the moment nearly seemed a bit harsh, but I will have to return to that and will let the 4490 run all night. To me it is more immediate and involving. The bass was surprisingly tight, I had not heard that from my Uber before. 
I wonder if a burn-in will change the sound, but I already really like it and some parts seemed muffled before in retrospect - just because this now has more punch.

Oct 17, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #25 of 467
I just left my Uber sticker on and put the 4490 sticker above the RCA outputs. I considered for a second taking the Uber sticker off but thought it would be kind of cool to show how many upgrades my Bifrost has been through.

I'm really enjoying the 4490 upgrade so far. It seems its smoother sounding than the Uber with a wider soundstage. I wasn't quick to post impressions because I got some Bugle Boy tubes for my Lyr 2 and have been running those, It makes it difficult to tell if it's the tubes changing the sound or the 4490 board. Too many upgrades at once, I did the upgrade thing wrong this time. In the past month I got a new amp (Lyr 2), tubes (Bugle Boy's),  a dac upgrade (4490),and new headphones(he-400i). Kind of wish I had taken it slow and gotten one thing at a time to tell what each component is doing in my system. But overall everything combined is a giant upgrade!

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #29 of 467
I have been reading first impressions for the Bitfrost and they are suggesting to let it warm up for 2-4 hours to maximum sound/sonic performance. My question is, is this the case for 4490? Would it have to warm up to get best performance?

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 467
  I have been reading first impressions for the Bitfrost and they are suggesting to let it warm up for 2-4 hours to maximum sound/sonic performance. My question is, is this the case for 4490? Would it have to warm up to get best performance?

I think warm up does make a difference in all of the DACs I have owned. I normally leave my Bifrost on 24/7, from the posts I have read this is what people at Schiit do as well. The Bifrost doesn't produce much if any heat and shouldn't have any problems being left on all the time. I wouldn't leave an amp on 24/7,especially not a tube amp, but in the case of most DACs it shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back