Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Oct 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #1,081 of 1,717

Quote:

The hype on the Asgard has been pretty positive regarding this American made amplifier being offered at the bargain price of 249.00. by the new start up Schiit. I decided to purchase one and see if it lived up to the positive impressions I have seen on the amp. The build quality is very good.  The industrial case has a very sturdy feel and the amp weighs close to 6 lbs not a lightweight for sure. The amp does run hot but not as hot as I experienced it at the NJ meet.  I put the amp into my system driving both my LCD2 and the D7000. I also tried it with the T1 but it did not drive the T1 and should only be used with low impedance cans.

I started listening to my usual music mostly jazz, female vocals and classical recordings. I was really disappointed in the performance of this amp. I listened to it for two days and then decided to sell it. The reason for the sale was that I felt that it was aggressive, hard and lacked both detail and sound stage. When I put the under  priced overachiever Matrix in the sound stage became very deep and wide. The detail and inner detail on the Matrix was leagues above the Asgard. The Asgard fell way short in comparison to the Matrix. The Matrix with its gain adjustments played not only the low impedance but also drive the T1 without any effort. The sound is involving and has great detail all of which the Asgard failed to produce. The Asgard is powerful and can play both the D7000 and the LCD2 to loud levels. As you turn the volume up it becomes more aggressive. The bass is not tight and controlled more like wobbly and uncontrolled. It never made the LCD2 play to its potential and had less synergy with the D7000. I guess from the returns on this amp many feel the same as I do. It never made me excited and I always wanted to use my other amps.

[size=11pt]I have not compared it to the Decware CSP-2 but I will admit that would be unfair. The CSP-2 plays well above both the Matrix and the Asgard. I would find it hard to recommend the Asgard because IMO it failed to reproduce the musical realism I am accustomed to with my other amplifiers. It does play clean and is built well and may work for others it just did not do it for me and my recommendation would be to go with the over achier Matrix and  listen to its musicality. The Asgard was a major disappointment for me and I wanted to like it but never could get used to non involving sound. This is  my opinion and yours may be completely different. I had planned on selling the Matrix if the Asgard was better. The Matrix remains until the next contender out plays it. It may work out differently for others.[/size]

I was hoping the Asgard would have faired better as it makes me wonder if i should have went with the M-stage. As I keep listening to the Asgard with the HE-5LE, though, I am very content with this pairing. I think I'll stick with it for now. Hopefully, Headphoneaddict will get to listen to the pair. I'm curious about his thoughts on the specific synergy between the two. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #1,082 of 1,717
Hey all, sorry I've been scarce lately. We've been getting ready for the RMAF/Can-Jam show.

But first, to address Frank's experience: thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. That said, your experience is so counter to everything we've heard about the Asgard that I'm tempted to take it back and have a look at it . . . no, strike that, I will take it back, run it through its paces, and report back here. So, Frank, if you still have the Asgard, send it back to us, we'll refund your money, dissect it, and see if there's something funky going on. And post our findings right here. 

And if I could take the time to make two other points:

1. We're an accessible company. If you suspect something is wrong, let us know. We're on Pacific Standard Time, but I'm sure there are many members who'll attest that they get responses well off of business hours. You'll always get fast, intelligible answers. Caveat: email is best. 

2. If you want to hear our amps for yourself, and meet myself and Rina (production head), come to RMAF. Sorry, I could not drag Mike Moffat away from his precious bench (and that's a good thing.) We'll be at the Sennheiser table. Our amps will be there all three days, but we'll only be there Saturday and Sunday, sorry. 

And, if you're interested in the latest reviews on the Asgard, there's an in-depth one on SoundStage. It lists significant weaknesses, such as the Asgard's overall sweetness and lack of extension. However, its conclusion:

"I’m impressed that Schiit Audio can produce a headphone amplifier for $249 that sounds and looks as if it costs $1000 . . . If you need a good headphone amplifier at a price that seems silly cheap, I suggest you rush your order directly to Schiit via their website, before they come to their senses and raise the price."

--Vade Forrester, SoundStage

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #1,083 of 1,717

Quote:
Hey all, sorry I've been scarce lately. We've been getting ready for the RMAF/Can-Jam show.

But first, to address Frank's experience: thanks for taking the time to post your impressions. That said, your experience is so counter to everything we've heard about the Asgard that I'm tempted to take it back and have a look at it . . . no, strike that, I will take it back, run it through its paces, and report back here. So, Frank, if you still have the Asgard, send it back to us, we'll refund your money, dissect it, and see if there's something funky going on. And post our findings right here. 

And if I could take the time to make two other points:

1. We're an accessible company. If you suspect something is wrong, let us know. We're on Pacific Standard Time, but I'm sure there are many members who'll attest that they get responses well off of business hours. You'll always get fast, intelligible answers. Caveat: email is best. 

2. If you want to hear our amps for yourself, and meet myself and Rina (production head), come to RMAF. Sorry, I could not drag Mike Moffat away from his precious bench (and that's a good thing.) We'll be at the Sennheiser table. Our amps will be there all three days, but we'll only be there Saturday and Sunday, sorry. 

And, if you're interested in the latest reviews on the Asgard, there's an in-depth one on SoundStage. It lists significant weaknesses, such as the Asgard's overall sweetness and lack of extension. However, its conclusion:

"I’m impressed that Schiit Audio can produce a headphone amplifier for $249 that sounds and looks as if it costs $1000 . . . If you need a good headphone amplifier at a price that seems silly cheap, I suggest you rush your order directly to Schiit via their website, before they come to their senses and raise the price."

--Vade Forrester, SoundStage

Jason I sold the amp. On all my headphones the D7000,and the LCD2 it was agressive and lacked dynamic drive. It may very well play differently but it also could not drive the T1. Could also be it was not my cup of tea.

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #1,084 of 1,717
I am surprised that you tried to drive the Beyer T1's with the Asgard, Frank I. It is hard to imagine that being a good pairing. I suppose, in hindsight, that you may have wanted to choose the Valhalla instead for that application. (That said, Denons and the LCD2's have clearly been stated to be a better fit with the Asgard, so I understand why you most likely went with it. Denons usually love SS!)

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #1,085 of 1,717

Quote:
I am surprised that you tried to drive the Beyer T1's with the Asgard, Frank I. It is hard to imagine that being a good pairing. I suppose, in hindsight, that you may have wanted to choose the Valhalla instead for that application. (That said, Denons and the LCD2's have clearly been stated to be a better fit with the Asgard, so I understand why you most likely went with it. Denons usually love SS!)

I had bought it to drive the LCD2 and the D7000 but figured I would try it with the T1 for the hell of it. I have the decware CSP-2 which I use primarily for the LCD2 and the T1 so Vahalla makes no sense as the synergy is great with the Decware. I am already on to the next contender and may have found what I am looking for.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,086 of 1,717
After reading Frank's honest impressions, I wanted to take the safer route and went with a Matrix M-Stage. However, I must say that I love the customer service that Schiit has been providing so far. I may at some point try Asgard but I just had to hear Matrix first... Who knows, maybe I'll buy a Valhalla for my next tube amp upgrade. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #1,087 of 1,717
Frank, yep, it's totally possible Asgard just isn't your thing, but I got concerned when I heard "aggressive" and "hard," since it's so different than what we've heard (and experienced.)

Whoever owns Frank's amp--if you'd like us to take it back and look at it, we'll do it on our dime, and provide you a loaner for the time it's out of your hands. And, of course, report the results, positive or negative, right here.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #1,088 of 1,717

Quote:
After reading Frank's honest impressions, I wanted to take the safer route and went with a Matrix M-Stage. However, I must say that I love the customer service that Schiit has been providing so far. I may at some point try Asgard but I just had to hear Matrix first... Who knows, maybe I'll buy a Valhalla for my next tube amp upgrade. 

I think you would have been safer with the Asgard.  You could have returned it if you didn't like it.  I don't think you can get much safer than that.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #1,089 of 1,717

Quote:

I think you would have been safer with the Asgard.  You could have returned it if you didn't like it.  I don't think you can get much safer than that.

I see what you're saying and I thought about that option too. But again, I should give Asgard more than 15 days to show its full potential. I remember buying headphones and amps that I didn't like right out of the box or even after 2 or 3 weeks but then I had fallen in love with them. One obvious example would be my Grado SR225is. I really didn't like them at first and as a result put them on For Sale forum here but now I am loving everything about them. That has to do with the burning in factor and all that and I must say that I don't have so much time to let something like the Asgard burn in to its full potential within 15 days. Hence my decision about the Asgard. That being said, I know I will always be curious about how it sounds so it is very likely that when I have another $250, I'll go ahead and buy an Asgard and do an A/B comparison with the Matrix so that I can hear it myself, and sell the one I won't need. Both amps are reasonably priced and will find some buyers here, I think. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #1,090 of 1,717
Just some observations: In that Soundstage review they said they found the highs to be slightly rolled off. I found the bass on the HE-5LE to be fuller at lower listening levels but still tight and controlled compared to the HDP. I find the HE-5LE to be slightly fatiguing on the HDP, but not the Asgard. I think that is why the Asgard works so well with the HE-5LE, it's balancing things out by taming the treble a smidge and bringing the bass up. The LCD-2, on the other hand is reported to already have a slightly rolled off treble and a robust bass. I suspect the Asgard with the LCD-2 is shifting the headphone out of balance while it shifts the HE-5LE into balance. 
smile.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #1,092 of 1,717
7 days of continuous pink noise is more than enough for Asgard, IMO.

Quote:
I see what you're saying and I thought about that option too. But again, I should give Asgard more than 15 days to show its full potential. I remember buying headphones and amps that I didn't like right out of the box or even after 2 or 3 weeks but then I had fallen in love with them. One obvious example would be my Grado SR225is. I really didn't like them at first and as a result put them on For Sale forum here but now I am loving everything about them. That has to do with the burning in factor and all that and I must say that I don't have so much time to let something like the Asgard burn in to its full potential within 15 days. Hence my decision about the Asgard. That being said, I know I will always be curious about how it sounds so it is very likely that when I have another $250, I'll go ahead and buy an Asgard and do an A/B comparison with the Matrix so that I can hear it myself, and sell the one I won't need. Both amps are reasonably priced and will find some buyers here, I think. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #1,093 of 1,717

Quote:
Any duty fees on that sucker, Denys?

I just received my B-stock Asgard and I look forward to posting my impressions here, especially with a comparison to the GLite with DPS. Took quite a while to get here from the States, but we can blame customs, and not Schiit for that. What a striking, rock-solid beauty! Finally!
smily_headphones1.gif

How long was your amp held by customs?

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #1,094 of 1,717

Quote:
Just some observations: In that Soundstage review they said they found the highs to be slightly rolled off. I found the bass on the HE-5LE to be fuller at lower listening levels but still tight and controlled compared to the HDP. I find the HE-5LE to be slightly fatiguing on the HDP, but not the Asgard. I think that is why the Asgard works so well with the HE-5LE, it's balancing things out by taming the treble a smidge and bringing the bass up. The LCD-2, on the other hand is reported to already have a slightly rolled off treble and a robust bass. I suspect the Asgard with the LCD-2 is shifting the headphone out of balance while it shifts the HE-5LE into balance. 
smile.gif

Most of us would agree that some phones sound better than others one one amp, and then they switch places when using a different amp.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #1,095 of 1,717

Quote:
How long was your amp held by customs?

It must have been 1 to 1.5 weeks in customs. This is, of course, an irregular amount of time. But a looong wait, nonetheless. I placed my order with Schiit on the 22nd of September. Over two weeks 'in transit'. But I am glad to have it in my possession now. Not too much a fan of the 'pink noise' strategy, but I will be giving it ~100 hours of use before I assess its true strengths and weaknesses. So far, I am happy with it. Sounds good and looks great!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back