Scale The Summit - The Collective
Dec 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
I just listened to this album a week ago. I think it's really good. It seems to be a bit of an offshoot from metalcore and djent. They play really delicately and the bassist is really talented. Actually, he's probably my favourite part of the band. He's very tasteful and so is the drummer. 

I like how they produce their albums too. Too often I find bass takes a back seat to everything else in the mix but that is't quite the case here.

I think this album is well written and these guys certainly know how to express themselves. They are technical but not overtly technical by any means. They aren't afraid to be a bit minimalist. That being said; they don't do what Meshuggah does - boring masquerading as minimalist. They often play simple metal riffs but they are really tasteful and often kind of rocky. Reminds me a little bit of Devin Townsend's metal/rock riffin' on Addicted.

They use effects tastefully too. I think effects are over used with a lot of modern music and it often seems as though the artist is trying to use effects as a substitute for substance - while effects should be an integral component to the substance or at least compliment it.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of Scale The Summit's The Collective. I have listened to their earlier releases. While they aren't bad they aren't exactly great. The potential is unfulfilled but it's interesting to listen back after getting to know The Collective. The Collective has a particular youthful quality to it but it's a lot more mature than their early work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back