Say goodbye to the Harman target(?).
Jan 1, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 45
Yeah this is basically the gist of it. There are, in my view, two 'correct' ways of developing a target curve for the 5128 that achieves a result people actually like - and that's important because theoretically you could just use DF for everything and then represent it against a slope, but I tend to think that's more confusing.

1. One is to calculate the Harman in-room response for the 5128 (and there are ways of doing this), and then apply the shelf filters from the research. So in other words, get to the same starting point for the new system, and then use the results of the Harman research to specify the shelves. This approach would result in a target that looks somewhat similar to the existing Harman target, with the bass shelf, but is then applicable to the new standard. This is also the approach I would expect Dr. Olive to take if they were to fully develop a public target. At the moment though I think they're just using a stop-gap internally based on the delta of results, and unfortunately that doesn't quite work for a reference curve since headphones behave differently depending on the head they're on - not to throw shade at them or anything, it's understandable as I don't think the 5128 is the focus of current research. I suppose if they were able to validate the same on-head behavior among the different systems somehow it would justify continuing with that, but that's not a study I'd expect from them anytime soon.

2. The second way is to rely on diffuse field head-related transfer functions (or DFHRTF). In overly simplistic terms, think of this as like... a flat speaker 'calibration' that each measurement rig has (and every head/ear), and conveniently it's also very close to the Harman in-room baseline. So while DF for the GRAS doesn't look like DF for the 5128, compensating to them for their respective rigs yields a comparable result. But because people generally don't like the way DF sounds (it's too bright for most listeners), we can apply what the Harman research validates - that people prefer a downwards tilting slope for both speakers and headphones - to the DFHRTF of the 5128. There are a number of benefits to this method, like that you can more easily get a 'high res' version of the target, and on the practical end, you can apply the same concept for comparable results to any measurement fixture or even in-ear mics on real people. Note - they won't necessarily look the *same*, because headphones behave differently depending on the head/rig. But they will be using the same target principle, and thus comparable.

So, in my view both of these approaches are valid, we just think there are more benefits with the latter, and that it fits more closely with the wider body of acoustic research than just Harman. Also... and this is a point I'm not sure how much I care about... but going with the DF plus slope approach also means we're not limited to Harman conditions - meaning the specific speakers/room used for that research. Going with the former approach would mean trying to... 'inject' previously baked-in anchors that aren't really needed. I think the counter argument here is that we've been assuming those conditions for years so we might as well go with what's familiar. But this also means future outcomes are slightly 'poisoned' by those conditions as well - I say in scare quotes there because as Dr. Olive has pointed out recently, you could do a lot worse than the Revels that were used.

One last thing, I just want to address the comment on the 5128 not being meaningfully better than the older GRAS systems and some of the thoughts around chasing the new measurement standard turning into gatekeeping. While it's true that the older rigs are still useful, as Jude has pointed out a number of times the B&K 5128 is a better representation of an actual human than ever before. In practice, it's not more 'accurate' for where the majority of audio information falls (between 200hz and 10khz) but below and above that, it is better. How much that really matters is still up for debate since at high frequencies positional variance is a massive factor anyway - not just on rigs but on real people too. But review platforms getting these new rigs isn't just about benefits in the minutia, but rather moving to the the new measurement standard the 5128 has pioneered.

Then, ideally, with our proposed target approach we can make even the inexpensive clone rigs comparable up to a certain point. At the moment that's not doable because the shore hardness of those pinnae is too stiff, meaning you can't actually use the GRAS DF for it. But I'm told there is a closer pinna to the KB5000 in the works for those as well, which could in theory make our proposed target concept applicable. In my testing when I used an official KB5000 ear on the clone coupler, there's still a resonance at around 12khz that shows up every time, but apart from that it was quite close to the official GRAS. The bottom line is that our intention with the DF plus slope approach is to provide a target that makes more measurement rigs cross compatible and have the opposite effect of gatekeeping older or less expensive ones - even if there is still some work to be done there.

Anyway, we'll be doing more videos on this topic soon - maybe like an FAQ to address some concerns/questions. But I figure I can also do a bit of that here, just keep in mind that our target is still a work in progress:

Q: Does this mean the Harman Target is bad or otherwise unimportant?
A: No, we need to distinguish between the specific target many of us are used to with measurements done on GRAS KEMAR based systems, and the large body of research behind it. We want to make use of the research outcomes, like the bass to treble delta that people preferred, but can't port their specific target that reflects that over to the new system for the reasons mentioned above. Also, the Harman Target is still great for GRAS systems, and we will still be able to use it as a reference point on those systems.

Q: Will we be re-measuring all of the headphones that had previously been measured on the older systems?
A: Yes and no. We will of course be re-measuring many headphones on the new system and providing those graphs, but we don't have access to everything in the back catalogue. We can, however, apply the new target to that data for cross compatibility. For new headphones that come in we'll also be measuring them on the GRAS as well to see how they vary across different heads.

Q: Why not just show raw graphs for everything?
A: While we'll continue to provide raw graphs, those done on GRAS systems will look different from the ones done on the 5128 (or any other system), and so there has to be a rig-specific reference target associated with the data. Additionally, as a matter of what defaults should be, compensated data is technically better because it avoids the common illusion of reading parallel lines against one another. There will be a video on this, but in short, yes, we intend to provide both.

Q: Why not just use a well-known headphone like the Sennheiser HD 650 as a reference point?
A: While this is useful as a point of comparison - and I imagine would be useful to many who have heard that headphone - this approach won't work for anyone who hasn't heard that headphone. Additionally, this is less helpful for evaluative purposes, because even the HD 650 has a particular 'flavor' to it - as do all headphones.

Q: Can't you just EQ a headphone to Harman on the GRAS and then use the 5128 result as the reference point?
A: No, largely because headphones behave differently on different heads, as mentioned earlier. But also even if a 1:1 match were somehow validated, this would still default a heavily smoothed outcome and we'd lose the 'high res' option.

Q: Will you have a measurement database to compare results?
A: At some point, but until then published results will be compiled in a forum thread like this one.

And of course, there will be more to come as we fill in more of the picture with this new target concept.

Yup, I think nobody wants a DF compensation. I obviously get the appeal from a practical point of view, even more so when we have a relatively long history of using it as reference, but if we're going to put any consideration into perception of flat/preferred response, DF isn't it.
The old 711 standard has similar pros and cons IMO. I do understand people wanting to keep using it because it's a very well known reference with so much work done on it. But at the same time, some idea of an ear simulator is that it matches an average ear well. The old stuff just didn't do that great of a job.

Personally, I can live with just about anything as I always have my brain doing some gymnastic to match a system and compensation to what I'm actually hearing out of similar headphones models. Once I've seen 5 or 6 headphones I know graphed by someone, it just starts happening and I move the curve in my mind without really trying.
But Maybe it's not the same thing for the average Joe who's curious but lacks a lot of what's needed to interpret graphs with the caution it deserves. If half the people watching a graph keep thinking that good is flat and flat is a straight line on all graphs, I think we how it to them to start by showing graphs that they will have fewer opportunities to misinterpret(It's still headphones and some averaged ear vs individual HRTFs, but a statistical improvement while it won't help everyone is an improvement for more people).

I can only give my random amateur opinion, but I would be perfectly fine with the tilted DF approach. I think most people feel like it's not far from neutral, just like how most people feel that DF is too bright. I don't remember when I first had conversations about using a tilted DF on graphs but it's something that has more or less spontaneously popped out in many places and minds. kind of like wanting more bass on IEMs. Long before my friends and I understood enough to even make guesses about the why, we were already pretty clear about wanting some.
I don't think your plan is controversial.
Now I do expect you to go crazy at some point and decide to just EQ that damn thing by ear. :imp:

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #17 of 45
Yup, I think nobody wants a DF compensation. I obviously get the appeal from a practical point of view, even more so when we have a relatively long history of using it as reference, but if we're going to put any consideration into perception of flat/preferred response, DF isn't it.
The old 711 standard has similar pros and cons IMO. I do understand people wanting to keep using it because it's a very well known reference with so much work done on it. But at the same time, some idea of an ear simulator is that it matches an average ear well. The old stuff just didn't do that great of a job.

Personally, I can live with just about anything as I always have my brain doing some gymnastic to match a system and compensation to what I'm actually hearing out of similar headphones models. Once I've seen 5 or 6 headphones I know graphed by someone, it just starts happening and I move the curve in my mind without really trying.
But Maybe it's not the same thing for the average Joe who's curious but lacks a lot of what's needed to interpret graphs with the caution it deserves. If half the people watching a graph keep thinking that good is flat and flat is a straight line on all graphs, I think we how it to them to start by showing graphs that they will have fewer opportunities to misinterpret(It's still headphones and some averaged ear vs individual HRTFs, but a statistical improvement while it won't help everyone is an improvement for more people).

I can only give my random amateur opinion, but I would be perfectly fine with the tilted DF approach. I think most people feel like it's not far from neutral, just like how most people feel that DF is too bright. I don't remember when I first had conversations about using a tilted DF on graphs but it's something that has more or less spontaneously popped out in many places and minds. kind of like wanting more bass on IEMs. Long before my friends and I understood enough to even make guesses about the why, we were already pretty clear about wanting some.
I don't think your plan is controversial.
Now I do expect you to go crazy at some point and decide to just EQ that damn thing by ear. :imp:
Well, I do have to also recognize that a reference curve doesn't necessarily need to match what I personally like, and that's also why I wouldn't just draw an arbitrary line to suit that. And I think at some point even with Harman, people who don't like the target need to recognize its function, rather than thinking of it as something scientists are telling them they should like.

I do want to note though about DF, what I wrote is merely my opinion on the matter. There are those of us working on this who likely would prefer to use straight DF and just tilt the line in the representation, and I get that too. I just personally think graphs are an easier conversation for new people when they're represented as a flat line.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 2, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 45
My new personal target curve is this because I made an iem that I think is better than all others and this is its graph.
1672637382534.png

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #20 of 45
I've read that about 65% of adults(Europe and USA, dunno about everyone else) are said to wear glasses. Shouldn't the measurement rigs wear some to give an average human simulation?:imp:
Seriously I wonder how many people put down their glasses when using headphones?

Jan 8, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 45
Goodbye, Harman.

Hello, LRAD TARGET.

lrad-300-xtm-frequency-response.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #23 of 45
Speaking of targets, I do not understand why the latest hype is that the Harman target is wrong or broken or something and somehow this has to do with measurement couplers. Kind of odd since I assumed the curve itself was just an average of tonality preference. Something to reference but not perfect in itself.

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 45
Speaking of targets, I do not understand why the latest hype is that the Harman target is wrong or broken or something and somehow this has to do with measurement couplers. Kind of odd since I assumed the curve itself was just an average of tonality preference. Something to reference but not perfect in itself.

The Harman target isn't wrong or broken. The point is that it's not applicable to the new measurement system, so we have to leave it behind as we move to the more sophisticated test fixture.

But also, the Harman curve itself is NOT just an average of tonality preference. Listeners were able to adjust bass and treble, and the resulting target is based on the clustering around the result most people ended up preferring. So the preference element is an indication of bass to treble delta that people preferred. Now, as far as the rest of the SHAPE of the target goes... this is based on the Harman in-room result, meaning flat-measuring speakers measured at the ear drum in a specific room, and it resembles a Diffuse Field HRTF closely (even though not exactly).

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #25 of 45
But measurements are just measurements.. right? If you are talking compensation graphs, sure of course but.. don't people want raw graphs?

I am not one that knows about actual headphones since I have none, BUT, I do have a ton of in-ears and those don't do well with Harman and a ton of music genres.

Jan 8, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #26 of 45
But measurements are just measurements.. right? If you are talking compensation graphs, sure of course but.. don't people want raw graphs?

I am not one that knows about actual headphones since I have none, BUT, I do have a ton of in-ears and those don't do well with Harman and a ton of music genres.
No even for raw graphs you need a rig-specific target. Measurement of headphone A on rig A will look different to headphone A on rig B.

Jan 8, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #27 of 45
I do understand that some measurement rigs are more accurate than others, but still, what does harman have to do with the actual measurement rig? I guess thats my question.

Jan 8, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #28 of 45
I do understand that some measurement rigs are more accurate than others, but still, what does harman have to do with the actual measurement rig? I guess thats my question.
The Harman target was developed on (and for) a particular measurement system - that being GRAS KEMAR and compatible rigs. It is not applicable to nor compatible with any other measurement rigs, like the B&K or Head Acoustics systems. And, just for those who aren't aware, the same headphone will measure differently on each of these, regardless of which one is more accurate.

The new measurement standard is pioneered by the B&K 5128, so, naturally... moving to the B&K 5128 requires developing a new target for that system. The Harman target can still be used on the older 711-based GRAS systems, but those measurements won't be comparable to the new ones.

Jan 8, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 45
I don't think we should be pandering to people's precious preferences. In fact I think the LRAD-based frequency response target is a good idea.
Total compliance with the will of the music should be our aim. That would sort the wheat from the chaff. If a person can take a miniature LRAD point-blank to the head, then they're serious about listening to their Michael Bolton, or what have you. Of course we'd then have to mend the resulting permanent deafness with some state-of-the-art hearing aids, probably cyborg ears. But that's good. To be a post-human sound-receptacle should be the end-goal of any serious audiophile. The cyborg ears could expand the audible spectrum!

Jan 9, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #30 of 45
I don't think we should be pandering to people's precious preferences.
I'll start with a calibration, but I'm not running a recording studio. I want to play my music the way I want to hear it. It's my ears and my system. I want my system to sound good to my ears.

You can average preferences and come up with a good starting place. But ultimately, it's all about preferences. And we all have different ones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back