Save the date: a Sennheiser CES debut
Jan 9, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #226 of 307
I have a little more insight.....
Even if many are disappointed, we also have to be a little fair to Sonova, the takeover was not so long ago❗
I'm sure Jermo has something in the pipeline and planned 😎

(But they must not take too long, they must become faster and learn to take risks)

NOMAX

PS.lol

He mentioned needing to build a whole new production facility just to make a new driver, so.... I have my doubts.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #227 of 307
I think the HD 800 successor is impractical and would have to be chemical vapor deposition diamond or some such more expensive process. Hopefully they'll find a way to improve HD 800

Heck, just last summer, What Hi-Fi did an interview with someone at Sennheiser who ironically holds a position at the company called "Audiophile Product Manager", in which he literally said, "well, we'd love to make a HD800S successor, but it's impractical".

https://www.whathifi.com/features/s...moment-for-headphones-and-beyond-its-hd-800-s

I mean, there you go. They spelled it out eight months ago. They're not in the business of making flagships anymore, and an "HD900" probably won't ever happen to any meaningful degree.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #228 of 307
Odd - the official Sennheiser account owner had the time to make a hype post, but not the common decency to respond to any of the posts in this thread...

Really poor corporate approach to your previous customer base. Hard to believe that anything geared toward the higher end will ever come from Sennheiser - you wouldn't anger and ignore that market segment if you wanted to sell into it in the future.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #230 of 307
Odd - the official Sennheiser account owner had the time to make a hype post, but not the common decency to respond to any of the posts in this thread...

Really poor corporate approach to your previous customer base. Hard to believe that anything geared toward the higher end will ever come from Sennheiser - you wouldn't anger and ignore that market segment if you wanted to sell into it in the future.
all in all, what can they say? I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. "Hey sorry guys we streamed through a 1920s microphone and we are focusing on consoomer stuff that no one in the audiophile world gives a rat's ass about". They have already lost the customer base, they're here by pure brand inertia.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #231 of 307
Yeah, I get the hyped up presentation complaints, but the over $1k headphone, over ear, on ear, in ear or whatever, is so saturated.. You know, y’all can save a fortune reselling your TOTL headphones back and forth to each other, or maybe just lending out. There isn’t anything today that blows my STAX Sigmas out of the water, and I’ve had them 30 years. My woodies, Denon and AT, still hold up too, tho they’re more recent. Meh….

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #232 of 307
all in all, what can they say? I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. "Hey sorry guys we streamed through a 1920s microphone and we are focusing on consoomer stuff that no one in the audiophile world gives a rat's ass about". They have already lost the customer base, they're here by pure brand inertia.

I would think some kind of damage control or a simple "apologies for the confusion" would be the smart path if they have interest in the high end market/customers.

That said, I'm not surprised. Niche markets are usually shaved off of the product lines/offerings post acquisition and they seem to be focusing on mass market products, particularly those with some potential technology crossover with hearing aids. Frankly, that's the financially smart move - I would only suggest they don't hype the legacy market that seems destined to wither away

CES continues thru Friday, so we should give them more time to respond.

Valid point.

Want to wager a Momentum 4 on whether there's a response? :beerchug:

Jan 10, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #233 of 307
HD800 release was at CanJam. Just sayin' :wink:

The Momentum TWS 4 seems to be flying under the radar maybe? The version 3 seemed to be a very good 'analog' to the IE lineup with the newest driver. Should my IE 600 be even more afraid than before? Can I tweak them to sound like an IE 900? Improved ANC or...? Apologies - jumping into this late.

Jan 11, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #234 of 307
Well they got me hook line and sinker. For the past few years I’ve heard that senn is going down the pan but I didn’t want to jump on that bandwagon and give them a chance, seems to me that audiophile is no longer a concern.

2009 is the last time we got a flagship (let’s not include different HD800 flavours and HE1) they’ve had more than enough time to make a new HD750 and HD900 but it’s clear now that’s not what’s important anymore. TWS development is getting all the attention. What once was the benchmark for dynamic driver headphones has now become a meme.

Jan 11, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #236 of 307
It is what it is…. Those new sports buds alone will bring in more money that all the high end products combined, and you can throw in the HD-6XX line…. They’ll sell millions!!! I’m getting them myself 👍
Sad :slight_frown:- but it's the real truth and it doesn't only apply to Sennheiser and not only to headphones.
This is how every passion and hobby is killed -
it is just a mass of products intended for the mass of buyers who are supposed to blindly buy these products
and not ask any questions because they will buy another version in a year anyway.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #237 of 307
Sad :slight_frown:- but it's the real truth and it doesn't only apply to Sennheiser and not only to headphones.
This is how every passion and hobby is killed -
it is just a mass of products intended for the mass of buyers who are supposed to blindly buy these products
and not ask any questions because they will buy another version in a year anyway.
Earbuds and crappy wireless products have been around for YEARS and have not harmed the audiophile industry. This industry is alive and kicking and there will always be a market for folks who prefer fidelity over anything else.

What matters is that Sennheiser was purchased by a company that wants to see a return on their investment as soon as humanly possible. What happens when that’s the case? They go for what will sell the most and the fastest. This means products to the general masses in the millions vs audiophiles in the thousands.

The folks passionate about audio aren’t running the company anymore….number crunchers are. Kinda like what’s happening with Boeing and why their planes are cheap, dangerous and all about cutting corners and maximizing profits.

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #239 of 307
This is how every passion and hobby is killed****
**** not really. The 'passion and hobby' is not killed - they may be harder to fulfill. This is when the chasm widens between 'pretenders' and 'contenders'. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back