Sasquatch - Yowiee - Yeti - Yeren - Orange Pendek - Mande Burung (Discussion Thread)
Jun 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anybody else here believe in the existence of an undocumented species of ape living in North America? Also known as the Sasquatch and Bigfoot, or even  their cousins in other parts of the world? I'm a firm believer (and knower, seeing as I've had my own encounter that was clear as day) and would like to know if anybody else believes in the existence of this creature or has had their own encounters.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 38
They exist on every continent except Antarctica.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 38
In Oz we have the Yowie, which is the equivalent.

Also have others like the bunyip, dirawong, drop bear, Hawkesbury River monster, muldgewangk, rainbow serpent, tiddalik, wagyl, yara-ma-yha-who, and yowie which would be the closest to the sasquatch and yeti.,

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 38
Not a believer though it´s more plausible then the god theory which really don´t say anything.

Where is the logic that they would be on every continent but nobody can proof their existance? Particularly since they generally are supposed
to be big. I would imagine there is a lot of trigger happy hunters that would love to show the world :wink:
Over here we don´t have much. We have some version of the loch ness sea monster but it´s not widely spread I imagine just something local.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:
http://www.facebook.com/FindBigfoot/videos

I like the videos, I'm really not a fan at all of how they analyze it. They confirm on too many things that can't be genuinely verified.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 38
I once took an anthropology course at college and the professor brought up the subject one day during class. Although he has not seen or experienced any Bigfoot phenomena, he has examined foot castings from all over the world. Amazingly, he stated that all of those castings were anatomically correct but he absolutely refused to say if he believed in their existence or not. He conjectured that they either do exist or that a sophisticated and elaborate hoax has been perpetuated since time immemorial. Personally, I'm at a loss to determine what is more plausible.

edit: Austin Morrow, what did you experience?

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:
I once took an anthropology course at college and the professor brought up the subject one day during class. Although he has not seen or experienced any Bigfoot phenomena, he has examined foot castings from all over the world. Amazingly, he stated that all of those castings were anatomically correct but he absolutely refused to say if he believed in their existence or not. He conjectured that they either do exist or that a sophisticated and elaborate hoax has been perpetuated since time immemorial. Personally, I'm at a loss to determine what is more plausible.

edit: Austin Morrow, what did you experience?

Me? I was a hardcore skeptic when it came to the phenomenon. While I'm not the biggest fan of discussing my encounter (I get tons of ridicule at school for it), let's just say that it put me in a place where I am now open minded and more sympathetic to people who experience these types of things. 

I'll just say this, the DNA study that's coming out in a few months is supposed to reveal all (proof, documentation, and protection), but only time will tell.

Oh, and if you've never heard of Justin Smeja, you should Google him. He's the center of the DNA-body study.

EDIT: In response to the bold, he's right. Here's a very good quote (can't remember it all), "Either the most sophisticated and well established hoax has been going on for the last three decades or the most non-human primate (the DNA apparently says it's a relic hominid) has been secretly hiding in the forests of North America, unknown to science."

Just to put into perspective and rebuttal the "they wouldn't be able to hide from us for this long" theory...

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 38
It seems out of the ordinary and totally unbelievable, but just watch...

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 38
I'm not sure exactly how to "feel" about Sasquatch or similar, but Hamlet put it best: "And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Here's Jane Goodall on the issue, always interesting to hear her speak:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NmCmfdFAhQ

The absence of evidence, not the evidence of absence, and all that.

I know, really an "academic" answer where I'm not marrying either side, but it's an interesting discussion nonetheless. :xf_eek: More personally I guess you could say that, knowing how often the fossil record gets re-written (it's not an every day thing, but it certainly isn't "set in stone" if you'll excuse the pun), and that there are plenty of other hominids that shouldn't exist (but did), it's not beyond the realm of plausibility. The real question is, should this creature (or some other hominid) exist, and we can somehow demonstrate and document this, then what do we do? What if they're intelligent life? (I hate this phrase, but I think most people know what I mean by it) Do we exterminate them? Or try to integrate them into your society? etc.

And I think that's really a big unknown for the most part. We can deal with animals like dogs or cows that are fairly easily to claim dominion over (be it religious, authoritarian, whatever), but how do you deal with sentient/sapient life as the "other?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back